Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Well I think we all had hoped this would have died down by now. As I said elsewhere I was really looking forward to this season with Vojens back in the Superliga and Wittstock in Poland etc

I wonder if this is insurance related, ie BSI waiting for official word that the events can't go ahead with a full crowd, then they can claim on their insurance.

1 hour ago, eric i said:

I wonder if this is insurance related, ie BSI waiting for official word that the events can't go ahead with a full crowd, then they can claim on their insurance.

More than likely.

Not good news for SON crowds.  Could be behind closed doors.

• Like 1

Unless it is behind closed doors, or with a heavily restricted crowd, I simply cannot see this going ahead.

There is no way under any form of social distancing laws that current tickets sold, as opposed to capacity will allow all current ticket holders to attend; for instance all grandstand seats are sold out.

Then comes the small matter of the teams and how you get riders, equipment, mechanics, team managers etc to Manchester for the event.

Personally, I think BSI are trying to create the impression that they have done all that they can to get the event on, in order to meet the criteria of their insurer's to get a pay off, and then in turn pay off what they owe for not holding an event they are contractually liable to hold.

37 minutes ago, moomin man 76 said:

Unless it is behind closed doors, or with a heavily restricted crowd, I simply cannot see this going ahead.

There is no way under any form of social distancing laws that current tickets sold, as opposed to capacity will allow all current ticket holders to attend; for instance all grandstand seats are sold out.

Then comes the small matter of the teams and how you get riders, equipment, mechanics, team managers etc to Manchester for the event.

Personally, I think BSI are trying to create the impression that they have done all that they can to get the event on, in order to meet the criteria of their insurer's to get a pay off, and then in turn pay off what they owe for not holding an event they are contractually liable to hold.

Or is it perhaps that they are trying their hardest to fullfill their contract with FIM to put these meetings on so they wouldnt have to pay any fines (assumption) in the contract they have? 

1 hour ago, f-s-p said:

Or is it perhaps that they are trying their hardest to fullfill their contract with FIM to put these meetings on so they wouldnt have to pay any fines (assumption) in the contract they have? 

That may well be the case too...

It would be interesting to hear why exactly the Qualifiers in Daugavpils were cancelled, given that those likely to ride were going to find it far easier to get there than to Manchester...

Edited by moomin man 76

2 minutes ago, moomin man 76 said:

It would be interesting to hear why exactly the Qualifiers in Daugavpils were cancelled, given that those likely to ride were going to find it far easier to get there than to Manchester...

Time, dates... some1 said early that it clashed with Extraleague. 

7 minutes ago, moomin man 76 said:

BSI said

But with some of the nations unable to travel to Latvia due to COVID-19 restrictions, it is not possible to stage the world-class, action-packed semi-finals that our riders and fans deserve

13 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

BSI said

But with some of the nations unable to travel to Latvia due to COVID-19 restrictions, it is not possible to stage the world-class, action-packed semi-finals that our riders and fans deserve

How very professionally and well summarized. :t:

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, f-s-p said:

I'd guess BSI will have contracts with television and sponsors and need to try to put on meetings so they won't have to repay some or all of the money (or conversely they'll receive some money from those sources). I guess monies are also contractually due to the FIM, although maybe they'd agree to waive some or all of this because of the exceptional circumstances.

Difficult to see this going ahead with any kind of crowd, behind closed doors is the best of a bad job IMO.

• Like 1

The government have an impossible job but while thousands are allowed on to beaches there is no justification in not allowing some sort of crowd who are marshalled properly at a sporting event.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Think some people are confusing things that are necessary like shopping, with things that are encouraged, like recreation and things that don't come into either of those are at deemed bottom of the list, even if we like them like entertainment