British Speedway Forum

On 8/1/2020 at 2:49 PM, iris123 said:

Think some people are confusing things that are necessary like shopping, with things that are encouraged, like recreation and things that don't come into either of those are at deemed bottom of the list, even if we like them like entertainment

It didn't stop King's Lynn staging a stock car meeting last Saturday, for the publics 'entertainment'

9 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

It didn't stop King's Lynn staging a stock car meeting last Saturday, for the publics 'entertainment'

No idea how they go under the radar, but I see the Hunstanton soap box derby has been cancelled

https://www.west-norfolk.gov.uk/news/article/837/hunstanton_soap_box_derby_2020_cancelled

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

No idea how they go under the radar, but I see the Hunstanton soap box derby has been cancelled

https://www.west-norfolk.gov.uk/news/article/837/hunstanton_soap_box_derby_2020_cancelled

Ipswich, Aldershot & Lynn have now staged meetings, with a full Autumn fixture list to follow. Amateur or not, it's still a sporting event with people inside a stadium. I just don't get it.

11 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Don`t see too much " social distancing " 

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

Don`t see too much " social distancing " 

Absolutely. With no fans in football grounds at any level, how can this be allowed.

• Like 1

Probably more attending than a normal speedway meeting, don't know how stock cars have got round the rules regarding crowds, but SON will a near sell out so don't know how it's gonna happen

4 hours ago, Neila said:

Probably more attending than a normal speedway meeting, don't know how stock cars have got round the rules regarding crowds, but SON will a near sell out so don't know how it's gonna happen

Call me a pessimist but I can't see the SON going ahead at Belle Vue.

I appreciate that it's a while away but things will have to change dramatically before a sold out grandstand (to say nothing of the standing area) could be tolerated in this country.

(And my family and I have three tickets pinned to my board at home)

2 minutes ago, lastword said:

I appreciate that it's a while away but things will have to change dramatically before a sold out grandstand (to say nothing of the standing area) could be tolerated in this country.

You are correct.. although the use of the word 'tolerated' I am unsure of.

What would have to change dramatically is the government. It has nothing to do with the virus. That HAS changed dramatically.. it is now a minor, almost insignificant issue (in the grand scheme of things).

Deaths from viruses are at their lowest level for five years. In other words there hasn't been a safer time to attend a sporting event in the last five years (likely longer but don't have the figures).

By the time October rolls round, deaths will have increased, we're heading into winter. So essentially, if you can't have crowds now... there is no justification that you can EVER have crowds.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lastword said:

AS previously stated, BSI/FIM are pressing ahead on the assumption that there will be no paying spectators

16 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

AS previously stated, BSI/FIM are pressing ahead on the assumption that there will be no paying spectators

Thank you Philip.    I must have missed that announcement.   (And me a lifetime subscriber to the Star!!) :o

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Neila said:

don't know about other promotions but spedeworth is restricted numbers and is by ticket only on line.

29 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

And I guess on the assumption the FIM officials and others will be allowed into the country without going in a period of quarantine  ?

57 minutes ago, iris123 said:

And I guess on the assumption the FIM officials and others will be allowed into the country without going in a period of quarantine  ?

THEY could run with all British officials but, of course, the riders are a different kettle of fish although surely the F1 meetings at Silverstone have set a precedent with no restrictions on the drivers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THEY could run with all British officials but, of course, the riders are a different kettle of fish although surely the F1 meetings at Silverstone have set a precedent with no restrictions on the drivers.

You are probably right Phil. I was just thinking out loud, what with things changing almost daily

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Does that mean a refund of Ticket money then?.