British Speedway Forum

18 minutes ago, iainb said:

Time for the likes of Steve Worrall to step up to the plate then, but he'll never get the chance with the current regime, just like Kemp, if he's not world class in 3 years time he'll be on the scrap heap and the next future world champion will be given the experience

Steve Worrall got that place in the 2017 SWC on merit, as demonstrated by his performance in the final - he was just about the only British rider who came out of that final with his head held high. Remember he was British No 2 that year as well.  It's a shame he hasn't been quite the same rider since his broken leg at the start of 2018, because on his 2017 form, he would have been Lambert's natural partner after Woffy was hurt.

As for this year, with Woffy out, our best two riders are Lambert and Bewley. There's then a situation that, as Bewley is under 21, it makes sense to line him up in that slot, since the U21 has to take a compulsory ride but the senior riders do not. 

So whoever was lined up at No 2 for GB was unlikely to get a ride.  At which point, what's the sensible thing to do? Take along a rider at the end of their career? Or take along Kemp and Palin over to Poland to let them experience the atmosphere.

My frustration last night was with the FIM and BSI for turning the meeting into a farce.  Not the GB set up, who tracked our best two non-injured riders last night and therefore did what they are supposed to do. Who is on better current form than Lambert and Bewley?  Name that rider.

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Do u think the holder boys wanted to ride together and threw the dummy out when they couldnt, or perhaps no brown envelopes involved?

As mentioned Jack Holder was in the original team, hopefully we will find out the reason why he refused his team place. I don`t see Chris Holder getting into the team ahead of either Doyle or Fricke.

3 hours ago, 1 valve said:

Was there a supplementary rule made to allow Poland & Russia to finish the meeting without their U21 rider having to take the compulsory ride as per the rules? 

Once the decision had been made to rush the meeting through to Ht14 then call it I think most of the rules went out the window.

• Like 1

I think it is right time to make brave decision and bring back proper World Cup. 4 teams, 4 riders each team with 1 reserve (maximum 3 rides to avoid using top rider as reserve).

Easy and simple.

Run it every 4 years, to see which team is the best in current riders generation. 

Leave pairs (call them SON if you want) but bring teams back!

• Like 5

16 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHERE would all the riders, mechanics, etc, self-isolate? 

Pretty sure they don't have to isolate anyway,as how would Bewley,Kemp and Palin be riding Wednesday in the British U21 Final up at Berwick.

Lets be honest they moved it to Poland expecting to get a crowd in and it backfired on them.If they knew they couldn't have any fans in paying the admission price they would have kept it in Manchester.You could have got two decent nights of racing on a track that can take a fair bit of the wet stuff unlike the drivel served up to us yesterday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Time for the likes of Steve Worrall to step up to the plate then, but he'll never get the chance with the current regime, just like Kemp, if he's not world class in 3 years time he'll be on the scrap heap and the next future world champion will be given the experience

It’s interesting that he hasn’t got a gig out in Poland when the likes of Craig Cook, Charles Wright and then even riders of a similar calibre over here like Sam Masters are riding in the Polish 3rd tier this year, Brady Kurtz, Nick Morris in the past and other Australians too of similar calibre. I’m sure if they were that desperate for a ride out in Poland they could get it but probably just happy earning a living double upping in Britain

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Najjer said:

It’s interesting that he hasn’t got a gig out in Poland when the likes of Craig Cook, Charles Wright and then even riders of a similar calibre over here like Sam Masters are riding in the Polish 3rd tier this year, Brady Kurtz, Nick Morris in the past and other Australians too of similar calibre. I’m sure if they were that desperate for a ride out in Poland they could get it but probably just happy earning a living double upping in Britain

He has no future, he's wooden on a bike and they can see that.

19 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Has there ever been a worse commentary by Pearson than tonight’s?

He has offered up plenty of competition.

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Drew Kemp is eighteen, he won’t be ‘on the scrap heap’ at twenty one unless he doesn’t progress at all. You’ll have to explain to me why Steve Worrall would warrant a place or why you think he can make the grade internationally as I just don’t see it. 

Its also worth mentioning Anders Rowe who has based himself in Poland this year and hit himself some wonderful experience riding over there, something nowhere near enough Brits have done over the years although they can’t be blamed for making good money doubling up in the UK. 

Unless Kemp reches World Class by the age of 21, he will be "on the scrap heap". I think the under-21 reserve rule is a nonsense.

What happens to Dan Bewley next year if Woffinden and Lambert are both fit? He's out of the side while Kemp or Rowe remain in it.

Riders like Ellis and Worrall are also out of the picture. Ellis may not be fit, but if he is he showed his mettle in the GP Challenge and should have been in the side over Kemp if he was able to. But then, he still probably wouldn't have ridden last night anyway.

I think this pairs system and the under-21 rule does restrict a number of good riders for taking part.

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Drew Kemp is eighteen, he won’t be ‘on the scrap heap’ at twenty one unless he doesn’t progress at all. You’ll have to explain to me why Steve Worrall would warrant a place or why you think he can make the grade internationally as I just don’t see it. 

Its also worth mentioning Anders Rowe who has based himself in Poland this year and hit himself some wonderful experience riding over there, something nowhere near enough Brits have done over the years although they can’t be blamed for making good money doubling up in the UK. 

What Anders Rowe has done this year is what so many young bits should have done over the years. Done it tough, up sticks and gone sink or swim in the exact way the aussies and yanks do coming to Europe. Yet in typical British speedway style he has gotten little to no recognition for what he has done.  Beating proper riders out there too, and gets overlooked for the British final and SON!!! All this when only himself, Tai,Dan,Rob and and Adam Ellis were the only brits to see regular competitive racing in 2020. 

• Like 1

My SON experience started last winter shortly after the tickets in Manchester went on sale. Being my first live Speedway race and also my first trip to Europe I bought the best grandstand tickets for myself and my SO (significant other) (after seventy what do you call each other in the UK?) Then the air fare, hotel room in Manchester, plans to rent a car after the races and see (practice) if we could drive on the left without incidence. We were going to head North and go along the coast into Scotland then explore our way back down to London to fly back home. Needless to say we were both very excited! Then along came the Covid and we just had to have a wait and see. Well we had our SON yesterday at 1:00 PM and as everyone has said it wasn't ideal......BUT that race with Emil getting pushed wide one second and passing Doylie up against the wall next second will always be my only memory of the race. I hate to agree with KeirStarmerFan BUT I would like to know who else could've pulled that off! So my Speedway experience and my trip to your country didn't turn out the way that I had hoped but that's the way life is, isn't it? I've been a Speedway fan for about 8 years now and that heat was one of the most exciting i can remember and I'm happy with that!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Unless Kemp reches World Class by the age of 21, he will be "on the scrap heap". I think the under-21 reserve rule is a nonsense.

What happens to Dan Bewley next year if Woffinden and Lambert are both fit? He's out of the side while Kemp or Rowe remain in it.

Riders like Ellis and Worrall are also out of the picture. Ellis may not be fit, but if he is he showed his mettle in the GP Challenge and should have been in the side over Kemp if he was able to. But then, he still probably wouldn't have ridden last night anyway.

I think this pairs system and the under-21 rule does restrict a number of good riders for taking part.

Understand what you are saying but I can see the format returning to the SWC version before long.

1 hour ago, tellboy said:

Pretty sure they don't have to isolate anyway,as how would Bewley,Kemp and Palin be riding Wednesday in the British U21 Final up at Berwick.

Lets be honest they moved it to Poland expecting to get a crowd in and it backfired on them.If they knew they couldn't have any fans in paying the admission price they would have kept it in Manchester.You could have got two decent nights of racing on a track that can take a fair bit of the wet stuff unlike the drivel served up to us yesterday.

IT was moved to Poland because nearly all the riders were there .. no doubt the NSS were happy to have their staging postponed for a season when hopefully there will be no crowd restrictions.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

The European Champion:neutral:

Exactly.   I was being sarcastic to the guy who wrote something not verty nice about Lambert.       He is a superb rider for his age.