Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

It was the Poles who volunteered to save the "Speedway of Nations" final and it was not for the first time they extended a helping hand to the British rights holders - the Benfield Sports International (BSI). The tournament was to be hosted by Manchester, but the British gave up - after all why risk it?

 In the circumstances, the BSI did not hesitate for a long time and approached the Polish Motor Association. After all they always run for help  to Poland. Remember abandoned GPS in Germany transferred  in the last minute to Bydgoszcz. Anyway this time help came from Lublin. 

BSI initially expected a payment of PLN 500,000. or one hundred thousand pound sterling. .Quite a lot, considering the uncertain situation and the increasing number of coronavirus infections. After all Polish government could close the stadium and lock fans at home at any time, and so they did.

Anyone watching the Lublin event, had most probably a mixed feelings. Phil Morris the Race Director was pushing the tournament forward even though track conditions were terrible. He and his bosses were so determined to run the competition that only one thought comes to mind.  - money, because if you don’t know what’s going on it usually comes to money. For the BSI, the most important thing was that the competition would take place, i.e. the regulatory 14 races were to be raced at all cost and then we all could go home. It a surprise that they  managed to set up the winners rostrum and award medals at all.

(as seen from magazynzuzel.pl point of view)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE FIM will probably argue that the change wasn't simply to weaken Poland's chances of winning but to have more nations involved which in turn would encourage young riders in those countries to have aspirations of appearing on the international stage.

Personally prefer the old-style World Cup.

I think we just have to accept that we're living in the era of Emil Sayfutdinov and Artem Laguta. They finished top of the Polish Ekstraliga averages.

People will talk about Emil and Artem in the same way that boxing fans talk about Ali and Frazier, football fans about Pele and Maradonna and cricket fans about Bradman and Viv Richards.

Let's just enjoy them, I can see Russia winning the Speedway of Nations for the next 5 years. 

Edited by KeirStarmerFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

I think we just have to accept that we're living in the era of Emil Sayfutdinov and Artem Laguta. They finished top of the Polish Ekstraliga averages.

People will talk about Emil and Artem in the same way that boxing fans talk about Ali and Frazier, football fans about Pele and Maradonna and cricket fans about Bradman and Viv Richards.

Let's just enjoy them, I can see Russia winning the Speedway of Nations for the next 5 years. 

Then again, you thought Worzel would win the general election.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHY? 

Just because most riders were over there,there was nothing stopping them from travelling here for the SON?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE FIM will probably argue that the change wasn't simply to weaken Poland's chances of winning but to have more nations involved which in turn would encourage young riders in those countries to have aspirations of appearing on the international stage.

Personally prefer the old-style World Cup.

I don't see how this is good for young riders.

What will happen to Dan Bewley next year?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

I think we just have to accept that we're living in the era of Emil Sayfutdinov and Artem Laguta. They finished top of the Polish Ekstraliga averages.

People will talk about Emil and Artem in the same way that boxing fans talk about Ali and Frazier, football fans about Pele and Maradonna and cricket fans about Bradman and Viv Richards.

Let's just enjoy them, I can see Russia winning the Speedway of Nations for the next 5 years. 

:icon_smile_clown:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PolskiZuzel said:

It was the Poles who volunteered to save the "Speedway of Nations" final and it was not for the first time they extended a helping hand to the British rights holders - the Benfield Sports International (BSI). The tournament was to be hosted by Manchester, but the British gave up - after all why risk it?

Similar to when the British came to the rescue of the Poles when a certain Austrian gentleman came busting through their borders, you help your friends out in their hour of need... it's what you do :t:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, screm said:

And there in lies the problem, when a rider like either of the Worralls, Charles Wright etc can earn a very decent living riding in two leagues over here why would they want to try Poland or Sweden, maybe a little to much out of their comfort zone.

It must be difficult for one of the GB managers to preach ambition to his riders when he hid away in the 2nd division for so long coining it in. Under the current regime it seems that if you're not turning up to the boot camps to learn how to juggle and eat veggie burgers and salad then you're out of the selection picture, there are so many riders I would have picked ahead of (the German :D) Kemp: either Worrall, Danny King, Richard Lawson (British No 2), Lewis Kerr, Josh Bates, Ellis Perks, Kyle Howarth, Connor Mountain, Tom Bacon... for whatever reason they all seem to be out of the reckoning as far as GB Speedway is concerned. Bewley was rightly in the U21 spot but to select Kemp in the No 2 slot was just a waste, why have all of the above been jettisoned and the bank has been bet on Kemp who only has a 3.58 average in the CL and 8.14 in the NL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, iainb said:

It must be difficult for one of the GB managers to preach ambition to his riders when he hid away in the 2nd division for so long coining it in. Under the current regime it seems that if you're not turning up to the boot camps to learn how to juggle and eat veggie burgers and salad then you're out of the selection picture, there are so many riders I would have picked ahead of (the German :D) Kemp: either Worrall, Danny King, Richard Lawson (British No 2), Lewis Kerr, Josh Bates, Ellis Perks, Kyle Howarth, Connor Mountain, Tom Bacon... for whatever reason they all seem to be out of the reckoning as far as GB Speedway is concerned. Bewley was rightly in the U21 spot but to select Kemp in the No 2 slot was just a waste, why have all of the above been jettisoned and the bank has been bet on Kemp who only has a 3.58 average in the CL and 8.14 in the NL

Perhaps some of those riders were asked but declined?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Perhaps some of those riders were asked but declined?

I don't suppose we'll ever know for sure... but you would have thought at least one of them would have jumped at the chance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, iainb said:

It must be difficult for one of the GB managers to preach ambition to his riders when he hid away in the 2nd division for so long coining it in. Under the current regime it seems that if you're not turning up to the boot camps to learn how to juggle and eat veggie burgers and salad then you're out of the selection picture, there are so many riders I would have picked ahead of (the German :D) Kemp: either Worrall, Danny King, Richard Lawson (British No 2), Lewis Kerr, Josh Bates, Ellis Perks, Kyle Howarth, Connor Mountain, Tom Bacon... for whatever reason they all seem to be out of the reckoning as far as GB Speedway is concerned. Bewley was rightly in the U21 spot but to select Kemp in the No 2 slot was just a waste, why have all of the above been jettisoned and the bank has been bet on Kemp who only has a 3.58 average in the CL and 8.14 in the NL

Can you honestly say that you can see any of those riders being competitive at international level either now or in the future? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bagpuss said:

Can you honestly say that you can see any of those riders being competitive at international level either now or in the future? 

... And who's to say that Drew Kemp won't turn out to be another Josh Auty or Ben Howe or Savalas Clouting etc. etc. (to pick a few riders names at random, there are many many more). If you're a late bloomer or want to do things your own way there's no place for you under the current regime. One wonders whether Tai Woffinden would be on the GB Speedway scrap heap during his younger "Party" days? Drew Kemp should be learning his Speedway in the lower leagues and on the continent, serving his time before being given a shot in a World Final, I really hope he goes on to prove me wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gambo said:

Perhaps some of those riders were asked but declined?

We will never know who was asked and declined,but Iainb has a point, who have Britain produced in the last 10-15 years barring Woffy And Lambert( although they done it their way).Although Covid has caused a big headache but the youngsters have been able to keep their eye in. Young Brits like Flint and Bickley can’t seem to get into teams abroad yet when they were younger they were in all the junior events on the Continent so you would think they would have contacts.You have to Question ambition when it comes to getting to the top in any sport nowadays.This present Crop might go on to represent GB at International level in future ,but whether any go much further In World Terms  is open to debate.Watching Continental Speedway shows how big a challenge the will be, while “ boot camps” are all the rage ,it will take a lot financial backing (which is not there at present) for these guys to progress. 
Whether we like it or not the Poles have plenty sponsorship available for their youngsters (Pressure to perform will come into it though as they are queuing up to ride over there).Brits will probably have to make their living over here though and sponsorship is a hard sell these days.

We are sitting about waiting for the Polish bubble to burst,and even if it does it won’t make any difference to the sport in GB .IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iainb said:

... And who's to say that Drew Kemp won't turn out to be another Josh Auty or Ben Howe or Savalas Clouting etc. etc. (to pick a few riders names at random, there are many many more). If you're a late bloomer or want to do things your own way there's no place for you under the current regime. One wonders whether Tai Woffinden would be on the GB Speedway scrap heap during his younger "Party" days? Drew Kemp should be learning his Speedway in the lower leagues and on the continent, serving his time before being given a shot in a World Final, I really hope he goes on to prove me wrong.

I think we can see who has genuine ambition this year, with the GB season scrapped.

There are some riders who just decided to leave the season and didn't even compete in the British Final, while others upped sticks and based themselves in Poland. Those, to me, are the youngsters looking to succeed, just as, in the past, riders who came to the UK were most likely to get anywhere.

For me, if British speedway has a future star it is likely to come from the likes of Bewley, Ellis and Rowe, and I think that, with Ellis injured, Rowe should have been given the third team slot because of his showing this ambition.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy