British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
greyhoundp

Harlow Greyhound Stadium

Some years ago i contacted Harlow Greyhound Stadium with regards staging Speedway, they were interested in having discussions, but due to the close proximity of Rye House it was deemed it was a no goer. I have never been to Harlow so dont know if there are any houses nearby, but it could be worth someone contacting them..

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Harlow+Greyhound+Stadium/@51.7717896,0.0636601,30m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xfeddf3b1e7368a0a!8m2!3d51.7719597!4d0.0638351

Looking at there web page it looks like Monday, Tuesday, Thursday are available, and even Friday, Saturday, Sunday evenings could be a possibility due to the early finishes of the Greyhound racing.. of course it would require a track to be put in, and with the current state of British Speedway would that be viable ?.

http://www.harlowgreyhounds.co.uk/

15 minutes ago, greyhoundp said:

Some years ago i contacted Harlow Greyhound Stadium with regards staging Speedway, they were interested in having discussions, but due to the close proximity of Rye House it was deemed it was a no goer. I have never been to Harlow so dont know if there are any houses nearby, but it could be worth someone contacting them..

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Harlow+Greyhound+Stadium/@51.7717896,0.0636601,30m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xfeddf3b1e7368a0a!8m2!3d51.7719597!4d0.0638351

Looking at there web page it looks like Monday, Tuesday, Thursday are available, and even Friday, Saturday, Sunday evenings could be a possibility due to the early finishes of the Greyhound racing.. of course it would require a track to be put in, and with the current state of British Speedway would that be viable ?.

http://www.harlowgreyhounds.co.uk/

You don't need to go to Harlow,just look at the map you posted to see all the nearby houses!!!:blink:

I also see with a quick search that there is a campaign by anti-greyhound lobbyists to close the stadium. Not reached their target yet and strangel most supporters seem to be overseas, but the tide is turning against dog racing, just as it is in the States against horse racing

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/en-gb/980/623/985/close-harlow-greyhound-stadium/

Edited by iris123

Houses are nowhere near: just an industrial estate.  There are far more housing near to Cowley stadium.

Oh ok,i thought all those building by Hobtoe rd etc were houses and were about 5 minutes walk away. My mistake I guess. Also assumed it must have been some locals that started the petition and are among the 10,000+ .Who knows

Edited by iris123

I believe the infamous Steve Ribbons made enquiries about speedway at Harlow a number of years ago.

A bit ramshackle but taking Rye House out of the equation might be a viable concern at NL level with the right promotion in charge?

That said Rye House is still used as a training track so more chance of League speedway there I reckon.

I haven’t visited Harlow dogs for a long time, but when I did as a Speedway mad youth my first thought was “I wonder whether a speedway track would fit in here?” From what I remember the dog track is quite small so any speedway circuit would have to be very small. 

Any prospective promoter would do better to look at Rye House, particularly at this level. There’s a ready built track of better proportions and there would be no restrictions on what day of the week meetings could be held. Someone opening up in Harlow would limit themselves to one night a week and probably be the final death knell for Rye into the bargain.  

Edited by Ben91

On 12/4/2019 at 4:51 PM, *JJ said:

Houses are nowhere near: just an industrial estate.  There are far more housing near to Cowley stadium.

I just had a look at the Google street view, and the first thing that comes to mind is the lack of car parking. Nearly all the commercial premises nearby have private car parks with barriers. I wonder where greyhound patrons park? Lots of yellow lines etc. Maybe the nearby football stadium would oblige by renting their car park?   It  also ajoins a golf course. I can't imagine their members would be happy having an evenings golf in the summer being disturbed by tannoys and noisy bikes!  Having been involved in trying to find a site in the Norwich area for many years, my experience of something like 17 failed applications tells me it would be a non starter sadly. 

On a footnote, I've just read the Trip Advisor reviews of the current greyhound stadium, and many of them sound dreadful.