British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

2021 season

17 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Yep fair play, I misread what Phil wrote. I don’t think a draft like that would work but some kind of rider control might although I appreciate you could stop some riders wanting to ride here if they refused to go where told. While I agree with what Stevo has said about solid teams also doing well in previous seasons we don’t want a situation where for example two teams are marooned at the bottom of a seven team league and way under strength because they don’t have any top end power while the best teams have two or three number ones. That does nobody any good. 

Regarding riders told where to go, Olsen to Hull springs to mind!

Don't think it would work. Ultimately riders go where the best money is so essentially forcing people to go to certain teams will only end in tears.

We have seen versions of this in the past and all it did was force better riders out of the league.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:32 PM, sommelier said:

Regarding riders told where to go, Olsen to Hull springs to mind!

Sadly as a Wolves fan, I remember it only too well. In exchange for the World Champion we got, with respect, Jim McMillan and Tommy Johansson. However Johansson never turned a wheel for us and we ended using rider replacement all season. And whilst Olsen was allocated to Hull he never rode for them and ended up at our local rivals Coventry ! Screwed, I think, is the phrase !

• Like 1

Doyle is a Swindon asset, how can you tell him he has to ride elsewhere, unless your scrapping the asset system and compensating the clubs.

1 hour ago, noggin said:

Doyle is a Swindon asset, how can you tell him he has to ride elsewhere, unless your scrapping the asset system and compensating the clubs.

Asset system is a joke anyway needs to ne scrapped

11 hours ago, Beowulf said:

Sadly as a Wolves fan, I remember it only too well. In exchange for the World Champion we got, with respect, Jim McMillan and Tommy Johansson. However Johansson never turned a wheel for us and we ended using rider replacement all season. And whilst Olsen was allocated to Hull he never rode for them and ended up at our local rivals Coventry ! Screwed, I think, is the phrase !

Best money earner Ian Thomas ever maid! 

13 hours ago, Beowulf said:

Ashby/ Kilby were both allocated to Exeter against there wishes both were superb though for the Falcons.

On 12/19/2019 at 5:26 AM, sommelier said:

Best money earner Ian Thomas ever maid! 

Whilst for us 1976 was disaster, in 1977 we signed a certain 16 year old Hans Nielsen. In the next 4 years we saw him go from an unknown reserve to No 1.:D

Ah rider control that will fix the issues the sport faces lol. 

This time last year everyone had Ipswich to finish cut adrift at the bottom of the league because they could land a number 1 and what happen? Oh yes we made the play off final. 

The out and out number one is a thing of the past with the exception of Doyle at Swindon. 

If you want to control where riders go then sign them all on a central BSPA contracts put them in groups of one to seven and draw the names out of a hat to see where they end up for the season. 

On 12/5/2019 at 7:35 PM, Phil The Ace said:

There really is going to be a massive gap between the teams next year due to the fact that swindon and sheffield and to a lesser extent belle vue have a few potential no1s leaving the likes of Peterborough and Ipswich with no no1s. 

I don't like that. 

Next year there should be some sort of draft. Riders need to be graded now.

Pot a

Pot b

Pot c

Etc etc. 

For example riders in pot a

Doyle,batch,lambert,kurtz,cook,nicki,holder,masters,thorsell

There are 9 riders there capable of riding at no1. There are enough to go around, but if you choose 2 of the 'pot a' riders then you dont get a choice of a 'pot b or c' rider. If you choose two 'pot b' riders you don't get a pick from pot 'c or d' etc.

Swindon and sheffield are going to run away with it this year closely followed by wolves and belle vue. Theres Going to be a massive gap. That's not fair at all. 

Add to that Swindon will win most home matches if not all by 20 points. Can any club afford to pay that out for a whole season. 

Let's make the league fair again and try get 7 competitive teams together 

Nownim going to disappear and ignore the replies lol

Why isnt it fair???

if a team cant afford to attract a number one based on their crowd levels they shouldnt be in the top division. Simple as that.

tried grading before and it didnt work, it definitely wont work now. 

14 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Why isnt it fair???

if a team cant afford to attract a number one based on their crowd levels they shouldnt be in the top division. Simple as that.

tried grading before and it didnt work, it definitely wont work now. 

So you are proposing a Premier League of three teams then?

That will work great!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

So you are proposing a Premier League of three teams then?

That will work great!

I disagree with sides bringing others down because they cant afford top riders. people can say what they like but crowds have been dropping ever since the product has been severely weakened. 

Remember 2004 when they brought the grading system in? How did that go? 

If a top tier club can afford two number ones then let them, they shouldnt have to split their top end up because other teams cant sign a number one. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pinny said:

I disagree with sides bringing others down because they cant afford top riders. people can say what they like but crowds have been dropping ever since the product has been severely weakened. 
Remember 2004 when they brought the grading system in? How did that go? 
If a top tier club can afford two number ones then let them, they shouldnt have to split their top end up because other teams cant sign a number one. 

Agreed, except that you need sufficient teams to make up a league and there has to be some degree of parity for a decent competition.

Grading definitely isn’t the answer though; it’s subjective and inaccurate compared to averages. In short, it’s nonsense.

Just now, DC2 said:

Agreed, except that you need sufficient teams to make up a league and there has to be some degree of parity for a decent competition.

Grading definitely isn’t the answer though; it’s subjective and inaccurate compared to averages. In short, it’s nonsense.

Agreed. Also teams can build a side with the same grades as another team and have a side worth up to 2/3.00 higher averages!

• Like 1