British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hawks 1975

2020 BEN FUND BONANZA?

I noticed in the Star a recent piece about how much each track had raised toward the Ben Fund in 2019. What I thought was noticeable by its omission was any reference at all to the running of a 2020 Ben Fund Bonanza. 

I know the staging track makes little or no money from hosting the event, but having supported it several  times when it has been held within reasonable travelling distance, I've always thought it an attractive season opener when fans have been starved of action for 5 or 6 months.

I know recent years has seen few of the top riders support the event - shame on them - but surely the organisers cannot let such a fund raising event disappear from the calendar? 

Has anybody heard anything?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

happening the week before season starts according to CVS at the recent WSRA dinner

in talks with one track but there's a backup if necessary

Edited by stevehone

There has been 2 dates for meetings that start the season in 2020 & they are 22nd March(Josh Auty Testimonial) &29th March 90th(91st?) Anniversary at Newcastle.

I would think there will be more so be wary of clashing dates. Josh did name a few at an after meeting talk but will wait for confirmations to name.

might be why they are looking at earlier in March?

As wonderful and worthwhile as the whole concept of the BEN Fund is I've never understood the rush to get this meeting on so early.

Often affected by weather, fans put off from travelling so early in the season.

Would like to think that all Promoters could agree and support a set day that was suitable and a central location in middle of the season.

What about day before (replacing CLPairs) or day after Cardiff GP at Swindon or Somerset to get biggest possible crowd and best possible UK based field?

• Like 3

The Ben Fund meeting usually precedes the season start of 15th March. It prevents fixture clashes (both UK and overseas), riders are keen to get on track and fans are keen to see action. That combination should ensure a good line-up, large crowd and lots of money for the SRBF.

Edited by NeilWatson
Typo
  • Like 2