British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
auntie doris

New Cross 1963

Just purchased set of 15 home programmes from their last season and my first season as a 7 year old from nearby Peckham. 7 quid off of eBay, bargain. Remember the first match v Hackney, PL v Southampton, and last match v Poole.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Just purchased set of 15 home programmes from their last season and my first season as a 7 year old from nearby Peckham. 7 quid off of eBay, bargain. Remember the first match v Hackney, PL v Southampton, and last match v Poole.

Wish that I had hung on to my vast collection of programmes!

• Like 1

My brother in Australia has hundreds, my other brother in Swindon has started collecting 1965 British League. Some good bargains on e-bay. Originally they were 9d.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

My brother in Australia has hundreds, my other brother in Swindon has started collecting 1965 British League. Some good bargains on e-bay. Originally they were 9d.

I had, I guess, a couple of thousand. Many World Finals, Overseas programmes, and first meeting progs and specials as well as the normal league programmes and individual meetings etc. I remember that I had every meeting, home and away, that White City took part during 1977...including pairs and 4TT and many featuring Oxford home and away going back decades...I weep at the memory!

• Like 1

You gotta keep your programmes mates-I am proud to say I kept every one-got my mum (RIP) to send them to Canada when it was obvious I wasn't coming back to live in UK. Have also kept my US programs-Costa Mesa,  Ascot raceway, World Final at Los Angeles Coliseum etc even theprograms from the Canadian tracks of Welland and Paris-the latter was a hidden gem-great place sadly now closed. I recall seeing  a former World Finalist , Robert Slabon, who emigrated here from Poland at that track.

One of the best meetings I ever saw was the Canadian Championship in Paris about maybe 15 years ago-Kyle Legault came back from UK- a favourite to win he was undefeated , broke the track record twice, although a local guy Aaron Hesmer gave him a run for his money. Wish we still had speedway here.

• Like 1

I still have the programmes for every match I've been to - 1960-2019 - plus a number I have purchased or otherwise obtained (!) over the years going back to the first Crystal Palace meeting in May 1928. A couple of thousand altogether.

• Like 1

Incidentally, my biggest regret in the speedway programme world is that back in the 1970s I was offered two complete years of New Cross programmes, 1935 and 1936. Sadly, I had just returned from a two weeks holiday in America where I had bought some valuable comics (another collecting fad of mine at the time) which were practically unobtainable in the UK, so I just couldn't afford the asking price. 
I did manage to get the seller to agree to break them up and I was able to buy a few single copies, such as the night Tom Farndon was killed and the subsequent two meetings as well as a few other choice meetings.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, auntie doris said:

I was at every one of those meetings but no longer have the programmes. I gave my whole collection to a chap named Derek Neave who was well known around the London tracks in the 60's selling programmes for charity. I collected autographs in those days and always asked the riders appearing to sign the back of the programmes. I imagine that would have increased the value.

Norbold, just imagine if that New Cross programme you have from 28 August 1935 had been signed on the back by Tom Farndon. It would be priceless.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Split said:

I was at every one of those meetings but no longer have the programmes. I gave my whole collection to a chap named Derek Neave who was well known around the London tracks in the 60's selling programmes for charity. I collected autographs in those days and always asked the riders appearing to sign the back of the programmes. I imagine that would have increased the value.

Norbold, just imagine if that New Cross programme you have from 28 August 1935 had been signed on the back by Tom Farndon. It would be priceless.

I used to buy programmes off Derek Neave. 

Good thinking about Tom Farndon, Split. I have his autograph in an autograph book...perhaps I should try forging it! :D

Do collectors want pristine programmes or a few autographs as well ? I often see on tv that only perfect examples are worth much. But obviously that isn't speedway and speedway is something different to the rest of the world :D

1 hour ago, norbold said:

I used to buy programmes off Derek Neave. 

Good thinking about Tom Farndon, Split. I have his autograph in an autograph book...perhaps I should try forging it! :D

I have an autograph book with about half a dozen rider autographs from Coventry Speedway 1930, which include Squib Burton, Jack Parker and Tom Farndon.  They are genuine - they were collected by my previous mother-in-law and she handed the book to me in the 1960s

I often wonder if they have any value?

40 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

I have an autograph book with about half a dozen rider autographs from Coventry Speedway 1930, which include Squib Burton, Jack Parker and Tom Farndon.  They are genuine - they were collected by my previous mother-in-law and she handed the book to me in the 1960s

If John Somerville reads this he will be PM you!!

1 hour ago, Midland Red said:

I asked John Somerville about my autograph book about 15 years ago. It contained autographs of Tom Farndon, Vic Huxley, Johnnie Hoskins, Gus Kuhn, Lionel Van Praag, Colin Watson and several other prominent riders of the time and he offered me £100 for it. But I still have it!

10 hours ago, sommelier said:

Programmes are my main collection aprox 43000

Christ, do you have a special store?