Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
auntie doris

New Cross 1963

4 hours ago, norbold said:

I asked John Somerville about my autograph book about 15 years ago. It contained autographs of Tom Farndon, Vic Huxley, Johnnie Hoskins, Gus Kuhn, Lionel Van Praag, Colin Watson and several other prominent riders of the time and he offered me £100 for it. But I still have it!

Crumbs...must be worth another 0 at least!

5 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Christ, do you have a special store?

Yes, one room dedicated to just my speedway memorabilia 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, norbold said:

Incidentally, my biggest regret in the speedway programme world is that back in the 1970s I was offered two complete years of New Cross programmes, 1935 and 1936. Sadly, I had just returned from a two weeks holiday in America where I had bought some valuable comics (another collecting fad of mine at the time) which were practically unobtainable in the UK, so I just couldn't afford the asking price. 
I did manage to get the seller to agree to break them up and I was able to buy a few single copies, such as the night Tom Farndon was killed and the subsequent two meetings as well as a few other choice meetings.

Tom was involved in fatal crash with team mate Ron Johnson  is that right norbold.??

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Tom was involved in fatal crash with team mate Ron Johnson  is that right norbold.??

Yes, Sidney, it was the scratch race final at New Cross. Ron Johnson ran into the fence on the back straight and fell. With less than two yards separating him and Tom, the latter had little time to take avoiding action, though those that were there that night say that Tom deliberately tried his best to turn away from his fallen skipper, choosing instead to plough into his machine. Tom and his bike were thrown into the air and flung a considerable distance before Tom landed on his head. Both riders were rushed to hospital, where Tom sadly died.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, norbold said:

Yes, Sidney, it was the scratch race final at New Cross. Ron Johnson ran into the fence on the back straight and fell. With less than two yards separating him and Tom, the latter had little time to take avoiding action, though those that were there that night say that Tom deliberately tried his best to turn away from his fallen skipper, choosing instead to plough into his machine. Tom and his bike were thrown into the air and flung a considerable distance before Tom landed on his head. Both riders were rushed to hospital, where Tom sadly died.

I was doing some memorabilia the other week Norbold,  and it struck me that four major talents died between 1935/ 57.  Tom Farndon 1935 . Ken le Breton 1951. Ernie Roccio 1952.  Alan Hunt 1957 may they all RIP.

Edited by Sidney the robin

2 hours ago, norbold said:

Missed your chance there. You should have told him there is a good book that tells the story.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I was doing some memorabilia the other week Norbold,  and it struck me that four major talents died between 1935/ 57.  Tom Farndon 1935 . Ken le Breton 1951. Ernie Roccio 1952.  Alan Hunt 1957 may they all RIP.

A bit off topic Sid but in the period you mention we lost two major talents in off track accidents, World Champion Bluey Wilkinson ( road accident ) and Gerry Hussey ( midget car racing ) . Terribly sad.

Wasnt someone else killed in the same crash as Ken le Breton . Was it Norman Clay or am I thinking of something else?.

30 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

A bit off topic Sid but in the period you mention we lost two major talents in off track accidents, World Champion Bluey Wilkinson ( road accident ) and Gerry Hussey ( midget car racing ) . Terribly sad.

Wasnt someone else killed in the same crash as Ken le Breton . Was it Norman Clay or am I thinking of something else?.

Ray Duggan was killed along with Norman Clay in the same race in 1950 in Sydney.

Eddie Rigg was in the same crash that took Ken's life but Eddie died much later....not sure what year.

Edited by andout
change
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, andout said:

Ray Duggan was killed along with Norman Clay in the same race in 1950 in Sydney.

Eddie Rigg was in the same crash that took Ken's life but Eddie died much later....not sure what year.

Eddie died in 1991 aged 71.

8 hours ago, norbold said:

And don't forget Dusty Haigh in 1936 at Hackney.

The real downside of speedway Norbold when you look back at these terrible events.For me personally Teo at Swindon was before my time but he is still fondly remembered and is laid to rest at a local Swindon graveyard.I suppose Geoff Curtis, Gary Petersen, Tommy Jansson, Vic Harding, Denny Pyeatt  were the ones that stick in my mind as i was young then and i suppose it leaves a mark makes you appreciate that life is precious.

This website may be of interest IN MEMORIAM it does not only list the fatal accidents in speedway, but in any form of motorcycle oval track racing since the beginning of the sport. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

The real downside of speedway Norbold when you look back at these terrible events.For me personally Teo at Swindon was before my time but he is still fondly remembered and is laid to rest at a local Swindon graveyard.I suppose Geoff Curtis, Gary Petersen, Tommy Jansson, Vic Harding, Denny Pyeatt  were the ones that stick in my mind as i was young then and i suppose it leaves a mark makes you appreciate that life is precious.

I saw the crash that killed Teo. :sad:

39 minutes ago, norbold said:

I saw the crash that killed Teo. :sad:

A real tragedy  aged only 33 he had qualified for the 1963 World championship final as a British  reserve and in 1964  had  qualified for the British Final.September 1st 1964 it was reported that he did a overslide and hit the fence he died on the 22nd of January in 65.My uncle told me he was very popular and was a bit harum scarum at first but made real progress he married a British girl and had a successful garage business.

Edited by Sidney the robin

2 hours ago, Bavarian said:

This website may be of interest IN MEMORIAM it does not only list the fatal accidents in speedway, but in any form of motorcycle oval track racing since the beginning of the sport. 

A very interesting but very sad site, Bavarian.

Do you have any information on Hans-Peter Finn, who was killed in 1920?