British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Frank Arthur a real Pioneer.!!!

I thought you'd like it. Also found an interesting article about the opening of a new dirt track in Goulborn dated 27.06.1925 which states

memories still linger there of Conoulty's wonderful speed of 63 mph over the old trotting track at Goulborn over 2 years ago, when sand was 2 inches thick over the track. Jack Sidebottom's hair raising skids on the corners in the same sand are also remembered

Which would put this old Goulborn track earlier than West Maitland also, though I haven't tracked down an exact date for this

Carnival meeting from 1922!! Featuring Benstead and a J.Datson, both of whom were later involved in later Dirt Track meetings .Benstead finishing 3rd in an Australian Championship in 1929

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/117594918?searchTerm=sidebottom motorcycle&searchLimits=exactPhrase|||anyWords|||notWords|||requestHandler|||dateFrom=1920-01-01|||dateTo=1924-12-31|||sortby

The Goulborn meeting from April 1923!!

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/223457208?searchTerm=sidebottom motorcycle&searchLimits=exactPhrase|||anyWords|||notWords|||requestHandler|||dateFrom=1920-01-01|||dateTo=1924-12-31|||sortby

Edited by iris123

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:05 PM, Sidney the robin said:

Eric Langton Jack Parker Iris your thoughts ? who was better Langton is a rider who fascinates me along with Tommy Croombs.

This doesn't answer the question throughout their career, but it does show what I was talking about. It is a world ranking put together at the start of 1935 and strangely done for 3 different track lengths, but Langton appears in all 3 lists and Parker only for the smaller track and then below Langton

3rd of a mile

1.M.Grosskreutz

2.B.Wilkinson

3.T.Stevenson

4.L.V.Praag

5.D.Case

6.E.Langton

and coming in at no.7 was Sebastian Roth of Germany!!!

1/4 mile

1.M.Grosskreutz

2.T.Farndon

3.B.Wilkinson

4.E.Langton

5.V.Huxley

6.D.Case

1/5 mile

1.V.Huxley

2.T.Farndon

3.M.Grosskreutz

4.E.Langton

5.B.Wilkinson

6.J.Parker

Edited by iris123

So, in the two "normal" size speedway tracks, Tom Farndon is rated as top Briton! :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

It is a world ranking put together at the start of 1935 and strangely done for 3 different track lengths

And we think modern British speedway is complicated?

As a matter of interest, do you know the source of these lists?

It was said to be compiled by Empire Speedways and an A.C.U official

Talking of the early days of Dirt Track racing in Australia. This is from the Townsville Daily Bulletin, dated December 12, 1916. Just over seven years before Johnnie Hoskins "invented" the sport!!! It is obvious from the way the report is written that it wasn't new in Australia even then!

From Townsville Daily Bulletin dated Friday December 12, 1916.jpg

• Like 1

Another interesting comment I saw from a journalist around 1926 describing the cornering technique as the 'American skid', which with the piece I posted earlier describing the technique and crediting it to the US cracks, is fairly emphatic

Actually found something earlier involving E.Odlum. In fact I might have found a couple of bits involving him

In 1910 an Ernest Odlum was jailed for 3 months for embezzling 10 pounds from Canada Cycling Co.

Then an E. Odlum was years later involved with T Cycles, who sponsored a motorcycle meeting in which he competed Jan 1916(Darling Downs Gazette 27.01.1916), which indicates an earlier meeting at least had taken place as the lap record was broken. E.Odlum won the Flying Mile.....then years later I guess it was the same rider who was involved in the Riders assoc. along with Frank Pearce 

• Like 1

Further to our research into the beginnings of the sport I came across an interesting item which attempted to explain

It states that the sport developed from road racing, but the sport was generally out in the sticks. In Sydney they wanted to bring it closer to the public because at the time few people had transport and public transport was also not good to take spectators to the 'venue'. Applications were made time and again to have roads closed off near Sydney but were always refused by the council. So they asked Victoria Park racecourse if they could use their track and permission was given as long as a share of the proceeds was given to charity. This meeting proved such a success that a second was held. After each meeting the sale of motorcycles increased tremendously. This led to the construction of a dirt track at Penrith on land owned by the railway. It was also a success and on the back of this US riders including Paul Anderson,Paul Remali, etc were invited over. The invitations were made possible by the number of sales by local dealerships. The supply of motorcycles couldn't keep up with demand. The concrete track at Marouba was built and a cinder track at Royal Agricultutal Showground and other tracks followed  such as Wentworth Oval, Pratten Park,Newcastle and Maitland. Mentions a number of early riders including Tommy Benstead and Billy Conaulty who have previously been mentioned, but not a word about Hoskins !!!

Not done an extensive search, but found a meeting at Victoria Park from 1910..... 

Edited by iris123
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, norbold said:

Good stuff, irene. What date was that item?

That was in 1938

Just found a report from  April 1904

Automobile Club of Victoria held recent motor races at Sandown Racecourse

Mr J.R. Crook of Aspendale holds place of honour having won the first Motor-Car race held by the club and the first contest of the kind in the State

Mr C.Mayman received the prize for the motorcycle competition

A few weeks later they were to hold a sports meeting for members only at Maribyrnong Racecourse including a Roadster Motorcycle handicap of 2 miles and a Motorcycle handicap also of 2 miles

• Like 1

Interesting that that report is from 1938 and not a mention of Hoskins!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, norbold said:

Interesting that that report is from 1938 and not a mention of Hoskins!

Maybe it was harder to sell that story to people who were there and knew better ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Maybe it was harder to sell that story to people who were there and knew better ?

Do we know when the Hoskins claim was first made? When it first appeared in print?

Not sure norbold. Think though I have seen two versions from him on that first trial. One was with a single rider and the committee heard the bikes and came out. The other version was with a group of riders, who blasted past him and the committee heard and came out to see what was going on

Didn’t he have a book out in those early days ?