British Speedway Forum
cheekycobra

Predictions thread

50 minutes ago, foamfence said:

Obviously an anti Redcar bias, or is it just the inferiority complex emerging?

Not anti Redcar at all... Or else I'd put them in 12th :D I've put my own team below them for christ sakes I think they have a very good 1-5 but might struggle at reserve, I've been as honest as I could be... They're still well within a playoffs spot, which I think they will be come the end of the season :) Good luck to them, and the 11 other teams also

48 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Hey Dandelion thanks for the kind words - just for info it was announced that Stefan Neilsen (4.40) will start at 2 for Poole rather than reserve.

I'm not into predictions at this stage as I'm not knowledgeable enough of the other SGBC teams.

No problem, I'd say it about any club as I don't want to see any club folding or being attacked, even if they are a bit controversial, we are a speedway family, slowly dying... We don't need inside fighting, we need to be fighting against other sports to get ourselves recognised and more secure!! Also I know Stefan will be at number 2, I worded it slightly wrong... I meant "Top 3 plus Stefan. And Josh at reserve" which was a whole new point... Just didn't have the correct grammar ;) Let's eat, Grandma. Vs Lets eat Grandma and all that...

Most teams are easy to predict as most riders in the league aren't new faces (Besides Edinburgh this year)... Maybe they are to Poole fans though as they've just come from a higher league, which is fair enough

33 minutes ago, Bandit59 said:

We will be 7th as like the 2 previous seasons we just miss out on the playoffs. 

Like the optimism lol Hope you're right tbh as if the Diamonds folded I think Berwick would have been my new go to team, even though I live 5 minutes from Redcar and 90 minutes from Berwick

Edited by Dandelion
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dandelion said:

Anyhow... Back to what this thread is all about... My predictions...

1. Poole - Even though they're not complete, if they do finish with Adam Ellis as their other heatleader I think despite whoever else they sign the top 3, plus Stefan and Josh at reserve, will be more than enough to beat most teams at home and away, yes I know they're not the most popular of clubs, but you can't just forget about them. I am struggling though whether to put them of Leicester as favourites and maybe the final 2 signings for Poole will dictate that for me (Revisit in the future).

2. Leicester - Despite having two 16 year olds at reserve who have zero experience of the CL whatsoever, the reports coming back from them are unreal!! Sounds like they're the next big things... At least at home they should cope, but if they can pick it up away Leicester look stand out favourites to me, but riders like Ty, Kyle and Nick CAN be a little inconsistent at times also... Hope the Thompson twins have a strong and successful first year at this level.

3. Glasgow - Changes to be made at some point I'm sure, but the current Glasgow 1-7 look pretty good regardless. Second best rider in the league and probably the best reserve too. Not sure if the likes of Ricky AND Justin can both recapture their form of old, but if only one of them does, Glasgow could be a big force in the league once again. Hope Connor and Broc have a good year again.

4. Eastbourne - Done great on keeping the main spine of the team together and I think they look pretty strong, solid 1-5 all the way through and decent young reserves, glad they resigned Tom Brennan in a team where it looks as if there'll be little pressure on him at number 2? Have a lot of respect for Eastbourne and I can't wait to see them in action next season.

5. Redcar - *shudders* I am predicting them to scrape into the playoffs, with the best rider in the league and the second best heatleader trio they've got a VERY powerful top end... If Jordan and Kasper kick on as well the top 5 could win the meetings all by themselves... Look extremely weak at reserve though, they desperately need either Joe or Jordan to have their breakout years this year... Good luck smoggies :t:

6. Birmingham - Solid team of racers, I really like the look of their team and all of them give 110% to the cause!! Would think the Brummies fans are much happier with this team compared to last year, I see them pushing for the playoffs but not guaranteed on making it, potentially down to the inconsistency of THJ (I hope I'm proved wrong, big fan of his) and the injury proneness of some of the other riders (Again, hope I'm wrong on this).

7. Somerset - Their weakest looking team for a while!! Losing Nick Morris, Chris Harris and Nico Covatti was bad enough... But they've not exactly replaced them very well... Josh and Ben likely to not do a whole season (For one reason or another) and despite them being very entertaining, I really don't see Somerset as a very strong title contender at all, which is what a club that size should be aiming for every season. Think once Bradley's average has dropped 1/1.5 points changes will be made for sure and maybe that will push them higher up this list, but for now... They remain JUST outside the playoffs for me.

8. Newcastle - I could have been bias and put them at number 1 ;) But realistically I know we don't have the strongest looking side so far and unless we manage to get Kenni in on a 4.00 assessed average we don't look to be too threatening either, but the team is still decent considering our uncertainty at the beginning of the season and how much later we had to start than everyone else. Btw best reserve PARTNERSHIP in the league... And I'm really looking forward to seeing James, Connor and Max improve next season and some of Mattys impressive inside passes on bend 4 :D

9. Edinburgh - Despite the fact I think they will make pretty drastic changes at some point in the season and will look much strong because of this, the team Edinburgh have now I reckon will finish around about here. Of course very strong top end as usual for Edinburgh and James Sarjeant at reserve is impressive, but I'm not sure how the two new faces will do, especially considering one of them will be at number 4, would like to see them both kick on though, obviously.

10. Scunthorpe - Pretty usual, boring looking Scunny side, but probably one of the strongest they've fielded since they won the little knockout trophy at the end of 2012 when the Diamonds were LEAGUE winners :) Simon Lambert is a great reserve and I'm sure Jordan Palin will increase his 2.00 average significantly... Josh Auty easily the weakest number 1 however and will only really do ok at home... Think Jake Allen will kick on though and the likes of Tommy and Danny will increase on their averages also... Jealous Tero is riding for yous and not Newcastle like

11. Kent - Think the first year for Kent was always going to be a struggle, and they do have top riders like Scott and Cameron in their team. Not sure how Nico will handle being the second heatleader, especially away and they don't look massively strong at reserve, even though I'm glad they signed Dan as I think he will be great next year!! Kent, another team I have a lot of respect for.

12. Berwick - Look pretty weak despite having some good racers in the team in Aaron Summers and NBJ, like what they've done at reserve though, two young local(ish) reserves who will form a good partnership imo... But that still doesn't take away from how weak their team looks overall... Sorry Berwick.

Feel free to counterargument in a polite manner :D

Ok Dandelion, I’m gonna take the bait...lol.........Glasgow has “2nd best”  rider in the league???

11 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

Ok Dandelion, I’m gonna take the bait...lol.........Glasgow has “2nd best”  rider in the league???

Charles Wright, 2019 British champion rides for Redcar :) Must admit, Cookie has been the best for a long time... But I think Charles may have just overtaken him... Or at least on last years evidence... Just my opinion of course :) Barely anything between them... You might argue that Cook's an ex GP rider, and has a higher average in the PL than Charles, but that's the past... Put them on the track right now, race them 10 times and I reckon it would finish 6/4 to Charles... On a neutral track

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Charles Wright, 2019 British champion rides for Redcar :) Must admit, Cookie has been the best for a long time... But I think Charles may have just overtaken him... Or at least on last years evidence... Just my opinion of course :) Barely anything between them... You might argue that Cook's an ex GP rider, and has a higher average in the PL than Charles, but that's the past... Put them on the track right now, race them 10 times and I reckon it would finish 6/4 to Charles... On a neutral track

I'd rate Sam Masters as superior to Charlie and Craig....just.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, HGould said:

I'd rate Sam Masters as superior to Charlie and Craig....just.

He's definitely up there... But not better than Charlie or Craig imo... I guess we'll all just have to wait and see what the CLRC Final is ;) Them three and Danny King probably... On paper anyway

".......since they won the little knockout trophy at the end of 2012 when the Diamonds were LEAGUE winners :)"

The "Knockout Cup" is the ONLY trophy I know of that we race for :rolleyes:. Since the play offs were introduced, everyone knew what they were racing for, The Winners Trophy & that is what all records will show. :t: However, I do agree that the League winners should receive something for their achievement & the playoff winners receive their trophy & medals.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

".......since they won the little knockout trophy at the end of 2012 when the Diamonds were LEAGUE winners :)"

The "Knockout Cup" is the ONLY trophy I know of that we race for :rolleyes:. Since the play offs were introduced, everyone knew what they were racing for, The Winners Trophy & that is what all records will show. :t: However, I do agree that the League winners should receive something for their achievement & the playoff winners receive their trophy & medals.

Diamonds should have been crowned League Winners

And the Scorpions Playoff Winners

Obviously a bit of jealousy in yours & HGould's predictions with Tero being in our team :approve: ;) but with 4 heat leaders from last year, 1 with a home track bias & the other 3 having carried injuries in 2019, I think we will do well. Plus, probably having another rider that was on most teams wish list, another that improved no end when he got his confidence back & the NL's rider of the year, gives me, & I would think most of our fans, big smiles & optimism for 2020.

But we do suffer our fair share of injuries so I hope they are kept to a minimum. 

8 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Diamonds should have been crowned League Winners

And the Scorpions Playoff Winners

Slight disagreement to your post :sad: but

Diamonds should have been acknowledged as League Winners

but the Scorpions are Play Off Champions

These are the Titles that we should be racing for.

Tough one to call for 1st place this season....but I predict that 'we' (B'ham) wont finish bottom ! :t:

6 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

Don’t you believe it. “SG”, or as others call him, SD (!) did what he was told on team building - and more importantly, team changes

Whoops indeed "SD". - As for "being told" - well he  had to work to a points limit and was given a budget to work to (and no more), after that the rest was up to him to deliver on and hence why a number of the riders who signed for the Lions had indeed previously rode for SD. This included Ryan Douglas who came back to the UK having missed a year and has openly admitted it was SD who talked him into riding for the Lions on a track which initially he didn't fancy. Also worth noting how astute SD was in the use of guests and changing the riding order to get the best match ups. 

As for 2020. Lions now have arguably the best 1-5 in the championship and two promising reserves who will deliver the required points and most probably on paper only Redcar come close  to challenging Leicester. Edinburgh look strong in the top half of their line up and Glasgow will do better than current thinking suggests. As for Poole, well its great to see such a professional promotion having a team in the championship and as their past record shows they put winning teams onto the track so (yes only on reputation) they will be there or there abouts come the play offs.

7 hours ago, HGould said:

It's a League where you cant rule anyone out I don't think.

I think Leicester are very strong and don't under-estimate those Thompson Twins!

Glasgow don't look as strong to me and I agree with concerns about Sedgeman in particular

I don't think Somerset are as strong either but REDCAR look to me to be the ones to beat at the moment.

I naturally think Brummies will have a much better season but a niggle that when we go away all opponents will need is a slick track to beat us but we could be dark horses.

Scunthorpe look very weak to me and I'm not sure about Kent especially at reserve.

Edinburgh / Berwick / Eastbourne have all got sides who should be very tough to beat at home. Edinburgh have big hitters away,  Eastbourne have 2-3 who could markedly improve their average but Berwick may struggle again away, although I think Leon Flint (with Drew Kemp) the probably BIG British improvers in 2020.

Wait to see about Newcastle.

As for Poole, very welcome and be very interesting to see what remainder of Team is.

I'll make a 1 - 12 prediction one we know full line up's but at moment would have REDCAR on top and SCUNTHORPE on bottom. Dark horses Brummies and Edinburgh.

Interesting as I think Scunthorpe look very strong!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bandit59 said:

We will be 7th as like the 2 previous seasons we just miss out on the playoffs. 

That's an optimistic opinion of Berwick in my view!

15 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Interesting as I think Scunthorpe look very strong!

They just don’t have a number 1. Jake Allen has to kick on. And can Ayers keep going with the form he had. It’s a potential squad for sure. But it’s just missing that guy who will get you 10-12 points a meeting. 

• Like 1

Given the split nature of the League I will be pleasantly surprised if Berwick finish in Top 6,Some tough fixtures for them in Northern Section and have to meet the Teams Twice.