British Speedway Forum
cheekycobra

Predictions thread

after a lot of deliberation and changing positions here is my final guess..

1 Redcar - excellent and retained top 5. Wright and Riss can possibly still improve average and if he stays fully fit so can MPT. Second strings look potential improvers too and if reserves can pick up 3-4 points per meeting between them, top 5 will ensure big advantages in key races.

2 Leicester - very solid top 5, expect Douglas and Perks to increase averages again. Very solid then with Morris / Howarth and Proctor. Fitness of those 3 who are prone to niggly issues could determine the season. Seen a lot of Thompson twins in 2019, don't underestimate either of them, will be as good as many with far more experience.

3 Poole - if we assume Ellis is in then very strong top 3 although Worrall has to prove still he is the rider he was pre 2018 early season injury. Neilsen is another who could add a few points or get crocked again. Not sure about McDonald so may be a team to factor up or down depending on final 2 signed with Ellis.

4 Birmingham - assured of strong reserves all season and Jack Thomas could be an inspired signing. I expect Shanes and Castagna to add a point plus per match, if Garrity stays focused could be no 1  and Jonasson could be CL steal of the season starting with everyone else and not playing catch up. Only niggle I have is with such a team of racers we'll need some dirt and to avoid injuries. 

5 Glasgow - Cook will dominate the Team and Nichol is a very shrewd addition but has to improve dramatically on some away tracks, especially the bigger ones. Wells and Sedgeman both "marmite" riders who can blow very hot and cold. Bailey showed promise last year and Ulrich could be a trump card if they invest in his bikes. Sam Jensen I know little about and will need to deliver quite quickly to help them gel.

6 Eastbourne - Strong top 3 with Kennett on a truer average. Lawson and Kerr both excellent at Home and this has to be the season for Kyle Newman to finally deliver. The fact they again go all British and keep faith in Brennan and Edwards to be very much applauded. The signing of the season could be Drew Kemp, knows the track, starts at reserve and Eagles are likely to be far more loyal to him than Sheffield. Could pick up a few more Away points and no one will want to go there in any 2 leg Competition/Decider  

7 Edinburgh - Rival Redcar with that top 3 and in Josh Pickering i predict probably the biggest upwardly mobile improver in the CL. Thomson and Frederickson complete unknowns to me but Lawson and Sargeant both capable of winning races at home and away. Could be a dark horse Team if it all gels.

8 Berwick - I think Leon Flint could be the next big British charger to follow Lambert and Bewley and his Away form looks sure to improve as he has more experience now of CL Tracks. Bickley seems to promise a lot but surprised Glasgow let him go so not sure if there is an attitude problem. Won't lose many at Home and Doolan you feel is just waiting to come back in should the need arise. If Pickering is the tider I expect to improve most in CL Etheridge is not far behind.  If Gappmeier and Garcia improve away by a point would be top 6 material.

9 Somerset - weakest team I have seen from them in ages and can only assume that having overspent in 2018 they did the same in 2019 with a top heavy team. Anders Rowe was markedly improved in 2019 and looks real deal. Barker and Bates and Wilson-Dean - that trio can go either way, massive points or directly to A+E and whilst they will be entertaining, you'd be watching them with fingers crossed. Know little about Zac Cook but Stoneman is a charger who just needs better support and kit to possibly double his average.

10 Scunthorpe - as said elsewhere a typical Rob Godfrey side. They will steamroller a few when they all click but equally likely to suffer a few thrashings away. Jake Allen stand out performer and could become one of best 4-5 in the Division. Ayers will hope to continue where he left off and the mercurial Lambert will either score shedloads or nothing  Jordan Palin may struggle unless he gets NDL rides to bolster confidence. 

11 Newcastle - great to see them back and wish them all the best. James Wright is a rider a few Clubs may regret not signing if he clicks back to form and Clegg and Mountain could both become solid 6 point men in engine room. Vissing always struck me as good Heat Leader but can be very suspect under pressure and I'm not sure no 1 fits his persona, we shall see. 

12 Kent - Scott will be their talisman but not sure if age or recently disclosed personal issues will have an impact on him. Heeps and Starke are good additions and Tom Bacon is another who really does deserve some luck and can put a few points on if staying fit. Gilkes is an outstanding prospect, Ledwith remains the most baffling of picks with likes of Morley and Wood sat twiddling thumbs in the South East. Hopefully the curfew won't be such an issue for them in better quality league.

• Like 2

HGould enjoyed your right up but how do you have such widely differing views es on the Thompson twins and Jordan Palin. All three had outstanding seasons with Jordan being the top of the 3 on averages . Yet you believe the twins shouldn’t be underestimated and Jordan will struggle  personally I think all 3 will do ok.

Edited by phillwhitewasmad
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

HGould enjoyed your right up but how do you have such widely differing views es on the Thompson twins and Jordan Palin. All three had outstanding seasons with Jordan being the top of the 3 on averages . Yet you believe the twins shouldn’t be underestimated and Jordan will struggle  personally I think all 3 will do ok.

Phil, purely down to number of times I saw Thompsons and improvement i saw..nothing against Palin other than when I did see him once (at Leicester) he looked a bit of a gater on a track Thompsons passed on that night..hopefully all 3 will get NDL berths too and improve

12 minutes ago, HGould said:

Phil, purely down to number of times I saw Thompsons and improvement i saw..nothing against Palin other than when I did see him once (at Leicester) he looked a bit of a gater on a track Thompsons passed on that night..hopefully all 3 will get NDL berths too and improve

In the race recently posted, Palin led the Thompsons and rode the outside line for the whole race, eventually going too wide on the last bend, while the Thompsons rode the inside line throughout.

If Palin had cut across going into bend 1 on the first two laps he would have won.

He looked the fastest and the bravest.

• Like 1

Redcar look the team to beat.............top 3 head and shoulders above any other sides....Stewart could kick on this season......Andersen solid enough

If the reserves do ok then the team to beat in my eyes

Poole will be strong enough and their big home advantage will steer them in to the play offs depending on if they sign Ellis , if not i cant see much improvement from King and Worrall

Leicester and Glasgow to make the top 4 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Redcar look the team to beat.............top 3 head and shoulders above any other sides....Stewart could kick on this season......Andersen solid enough

Poole will be strong enough and their big home advantage will steer them in to the play offs depending on if they sign Ellis , if not i cant see much improvement from King and Worrall

One thing I'd say about Redcar is that we don't have a massive home advantage as we have a very fair track and most visiting teams ,and riders, ride it well.

For Redcar to have a good season we need Jordan and Kasper to pick up a few more points away from home. We relied on Nathan to pick up extra points from reserve and I'm not sure we can expect the same from the 2 young lads this year.

Some strong looking teams but things will change a lot during the season and as always injuries will play a big part in deciding things.

Edited by Yearbyred
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

Worrall is an 8.5 rider in this league. And isnt that far removed from a 9.13 rider in the league. At 3 he could easily be an 8.5 by end of the season if not higher. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, poolebolton said:

Worrall is an 8.5 rider in this league. And isnt that far removed from a 9.13 rider in the league. At 3 he could easily be an 8.5 by end of the season if not higher. 

His average has dropped in both leagues for the last 2 seasons

Granted he had a bad injury and granted this season he may well start at number 3..................that means in theory he could see an increase as he meets the opposing number 3 twice instead of the opposing number one twice.............but as i said i dont see much improvement from King or Worrall and i think King in particular will struggle to maintain his average..............just my opinion............i also think Ellis is a must have and ive no doubt in my mind he will be Pooles number one

22 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

So far Glasgow and Redcar look the Teams for me.

Glasgow are pretty marmite and could go either way, but Redcar, Leicester and Poole (with Ellis) are certs for the six team play offs.

10 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Glasgow are pretty marmite and could go either way, but Redcar, Leicester and Poole (with Ellis) are certs for the six team play offs.

When you have genuine No1 like Cook, it will take bit of pressure of Wells who is a genuine 2nd heat leader ,Nicol is an improver IMO ,the reserves will take some matching in most meetings,Jensen in particular ,any body who seen him riding at No4 on his debut season last year has to be impressed and he will be reserve.Good strength in depth Team.With six Teams they will make play offs for sure.

PS

Any under performers won’t last long.;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

When you have genuine No1 like Cook, it will take bit of pressure of Wells who is a genuine 2nd heat leader ,Nicol is an improver IMO ,the reserves will take some matching in most meetings,Jensen in particular ,any body who seen him riding at No4 on his debut season last year has to be impressed and he will be reserve.Good strength in depth Team.With six Teams they will make play offs for sure.

PS

Any under performers won’t last long.;)

And if Sam moves out of reserve we will have a strong rider to replace him 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

right is wrong    ,   write is right !