British Speedway Forum
cheekycobra

Predictions thread

1 hour ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Can some of you not accept that other people have different opinions on how the season will pan out without been rude ? 

It's 'being' rude and I'm not.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

Obviously your on drugs 

I quote 

Redcar in tenth, ??

Scunthorpe weakest no 1??

Claus Vissing no 1 at Newcastlewill be the lowest average No 1.He  only scored 6 pts at Rough park when he visited with Glasgow 

Check out vissings score at BROUGH on may the 5th as what you are referring to is the meeting later on in the season when he actually scored 6 paid 8 !!

2 hours ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Yeah fair enough . I have Redcar top 4 . I have Edinburgh and Eastbourne outside the top 6 also . But its only my opinion and no one has to agree . He says write up of the Brummies and where he places us dont really concur either but hey ho .. 

These predictions are normally way off the final tables at times !! Looking at some of the sides built in the league some have gone top 5 heavy hoping the 6&7 do well enough to maintain a 5 point average home & away & the top 5 can score at least 42 to 45 points between them... & Others are hoping there reserves like ours at Newcastle can score 7 to 10 between them & also hope are 2to5 can get 30 points which will take a lot of pressure off vissing & hope he can maintain an 8 point average.. my opinion. But looking at the league it's looking good

Edited by pienpeesman

39 minutes ago, Spiderman1 said:

the scorpions look stronger this year and will be around the top bunch  ,a fool would differ

I’m a fool then, just don’t see them finishing top six. 

The thread is just a bit of fun though, it happens every year but no offence should be taken. 

50 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I’m a fool then, just don’t see them finishing top six. 

The thread is just a bit of fun though, it happens every year but no offence should be taken. 

Don’t think top 6 either ,top 4 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 10:06 AM, Dandelion said:

Anyhow... Back to what this thread is all about... My predictions...

1. Poole - Even though they're not complete, if they do finish with Adam Ellis as their other heatleader I think despite whoever else they sign the top 3, plus Stefan and Josh at reserve, will be more than enough to beat most teams at home and away, yes I know they're not the most popular of clubs, but you can't just forget about them. I am struggling though whether to put them of Leicester as favourites and maybe the final 2 signings for Poole will dictate that for me (Revisit in the future).

2. Leicester - Despite having two 16 year olds at reserve who have zero experience of the CL whatsoever, the reports coming back from them are unreal!! Sounds like they're the next big things... At least at home they should cope, but if they can pick it up away Leicester look stand out favourites to me, but riders like Ty, Kyle and Nick CAN be a little inconsistent at times also... Hope the Thompson twins have a strong and successful first year at this level.

3. Glasgow - Changes to be made at some point I'm sure, but the current Glasgow 1-7 look pretty good regardless. Second best rider in the league and probably the best reserve too. Not sure if the likes of Ricky AND Justin can both recapture their form of old, but if only one of them does, Glasgow could be a big force in the league once again. Hope Connor and Broc have a good year again.

4. Eastbourne - Done great on keeping the main spine of the team together and I think they look pretty strong, solid 1-5 all the way through and decent young reserves, glad they resigned Tom Brennan in a team where it looks as if there'll be little pressure on him at number 2? Have a lot of respect for Eastbourne and I can't wait to see them in action next season.

5. Redcar - *shudders* I am predicting them to scrape into the playoffs, with the best rider in the league and the second best heatleader trio they've got a VERY powerful top end... If Jordan and Kasper kick on as well the top 5 could win the meetings all by themselves... Look extremely weak at reserve though, they desperately need either Joe or Jordan to have their breakout years this year... Good luck smoggies :t:

6. Birmingham - Solid team of racers, I really like the look of their team and all of them give 110% to the cause!! Would think the Brummies fans are much happier with this team compared to last year, I see them pushing for the playoffs but not guaranteed on making it, potentially down to the inconsistency of THJ (I hope I'm proved wrong, big fan of his) and the injury proneness of some of the other riders (Again, hope I'm wrong on this).

7. Somerset - Their weakest looking team for a while!! Losing Nick Morris, Chris Harris and Nico Covatti was bad enough... But they've not exactly replaced them very well... Josh and Ben likely to not do a whole season (For one reason or another) and despite them being very entertaining, I really don't see Somerset as a very strong title contender at all, which is what a club that size should be aiming for every season. Think once Bradley's average has dropped 1/1.5 points changes will be made for sure and maybe that will push them higher up this list, but for now... They remain JUST outside the playoffs for me.

8. Newcastle - I could have been bias and put them at number 1 ;) But realistically I know we don't have the strongest looking side so far and unless we manage to get Kenni in on a 4.00 assessed average we don't look to be too threatening either, but the team is still decent considering our uncertainty at the beginning of the season and how much later we had to start than everyone else. Btw best reserve PARTNERSHIP in the league... And I'm really looking forward to seeing James, Connor and Max improve next season and some of Mattys impressive inside passes on bend 4 :D

9. Edinburgh - Despite the fact I think they will make pretty drastic changes at some point in the season and will look much strong because of this, the team Edinburgh have now I reckon will finish around about here. Of course very strong top end as usual for Edinburgh and James Sarjeant at reserve is impressive, but I'm not sure how the two new faces will do, especially considering one of them will be at number 4, would like to see them both kick on though, obviously.

10. Scunthorpe - Pretty usual, boring looking Scunny side, but probably one of the strongest they've fielded since they won the little knockout trophy at the end of 2012 when the Diamonds were LEAGUE winners :) Simon Lambert is a great reserve and I'm sure Jordan Palin will increase his 2.00 average significantly... Josh Auty easily the weakest number 1 however and will only really do ok at home... Think Jake Allen will kick on though and the likes of Tommy and Danny will increase on their averages also... Jealous Tero is riding for yous and not Newcastle like

11. Kent - Think the first year for Kent was always going to be a struggle, and they do have top riders like Scott and Cameron in their team. Not sure how Nico will handle being the second heatleader, especially away and they don't look massively strong at reserve, even though I'm glad they signed Dan as I think he will be great next year!! Kent, another team I have a lot of respect for.

12. Berwick - Look pretty weak despite having some good racers in the team in Aaron Summers and NBJ, like what they've done at reserve though, two young local(ish) reserves who will form a good partnership imo... But that still doesn't take away from how weak their team looks overall... Sorry Berwick.

Feel free to counterargument in a polite manner :D

Berwick always get tipped as basement but last two years have finished 5th

However is it me or do others feel same. I despair over Speedway in this country.  Can you ever see one league? Just look at the top two leagues. I would imagine two thirds of guys in 'top league' are riding in Championship as well! Can we ever see return to two seperate leagues with different riders in both.  Short answer NO

15 minutes ago, Catch Me If You Can said:

However is it me or do others feel same. I despair over Speedway in this country.  Can you ever see one league? Just look at the top two leagues. I would imagine two thirds of guys in 'top league' are riding in Championship as well! Can we ever see return to two seperate leagues with different riders in both.  Short answer NO

I’m with you on that one,I also despair that they can’t sort the leagues out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Catch Me If You Can said:

The promoters in Britain seem to get most of the blame for allowing doubling up, but I also think it is a domino effect from the wages on offer in Poland these days. You only need to look at the increasing number of riders who only want to ride in the GP series and Poland, or Poland and Sweden, or the likes of Kacper Woryna, who said in the Speedway Star this week that he would only return to Britain if the right offer came along. I read that as saying he would only return if he was to get a nice contract, the kind that promoters in this country can't afford.

Riders' attitudes seem to have changed in the last twenty years. Why do they need to ride in Britain if they can get enough money racing a couple of times a week in Poland and Sweden. The only ways doubling up can be avoided, or one league, is to produce more homegrown riders in this country or reduce the number of teams.

1. Leicester

2. Poole 

3. Redcar 

4. Glasgow 

5. Eastbourne

6. Somerset

7. Edinburgh

8. Birmingham

9. Kent

10. Berwick

11. Scunthorpe

12. Newcastle

• Like 2

Sorry to put this question in this thread, but does anyone know when the fixtures tend to get released? Just excited for the season already!!!

1 hour ago, Panthers99 said:

1. Leicester

2. Poole 

3. Redcar 

4. Glasgow 

5. Eastbourne

6. Somerset

7. Edinburgh

8. Birmingham

9. Kent

10. Berwick

11. Scunthorpe

12. Newcastle

Looks about right to me apart from Eastbourne ....

1 hour ago, StrangerKings said:

......Just excited for the season already!!!

You and me both. When you start stressing over what Kent are going to call their two sides, you know you're having withdrawal systems.

It was about now that I used to start looking forward to Telford and contacting a few speedway friends I hadn't seen for a while. Now we haven't even got that one on the schedule. Very sad.

Just worked out it's about 80 sleeps to the start of the season. Even that doesn't cheer me up.

Oh well. Back to the silly season. As I say to my missus when I'm trying hard to change the subject, "Who's going to win the cup?". 

After reading all the various predictions that have been posted I would like to draw your attention to a score from last year when Glasgow suffered the heaviest defeat at home to Scunthorpe  ( Scuni won 53 to 37 )  At the start of the 2019 season no one would have predict a home loss like this, so its all ifs and buts again for 2020.                                                                  All i want to see is some good racing,all riders leaving meetings in the same transport they arrive in and that Scuni make the play offs and the go on to be the league champions AGAIN. 

• Like 4