British Speedway Forum
cheekycobra

Predictions thread

5 hours ago, Dandelion said:

Anyhow... Back to what this thread is all about... My predictions...

1. Poole - Even though they're not complete, if they do finish with Adam Ellis as their other heatleader I think despite whoever else they sign the top 3, plus Stefan and Josh at reserve, will be more than enough to beat most teams at home and away, yes I know they're not the most popular of clubs, but you can't just forget about them. I am struggling though whether to put them of Leicester as favourites and maybe the final 2 signings for Poole will dictate that for me (Revisit in the future).

2. Leicester - Despite having two 16 year olds at reserve who have zero experience of the CL whatsoever, the reports coming back from them are unreal!! Sounds like they're the next big things... At least at home they should cope, but if they can pick it up away Leicester look stand out favourites to me, but riders like Ty, Kyle and Nick CAN be a little inconsistent at times also... Hope the Thompson twins have a strong and successful first year at this level.

3. Glasgow - Changes to be made at some point I'm sure, but the current Glasgow 1-7 look pretty good regardless. Second best rider in the league and probably the best reserve too. Not sure if the likes of Ricky AND Justin can both recapture their form of old, but if only one of them does, Glasgow could be a big force in the league once again. Hope Connor and Broc have a good year again.

4. Eastbourne - Done great on keeping the main spine of the team together and I think they look pretty strong, solid 1-5 all the way through and decent young reserves, glad they resigned Tom Brennan in a team where it looks as if there'll be little pressure on him at number 2? Have a lot of respect for Eastbourne and I can't wait to see them in action next season.

5. Redcar - *shudders* I am predicting them to scrape into the playoffs, with the best rider in the league and the second best heatleader trio they've got a VERY powerful top end... If Jordan and Kasper kick on as well the top 5 could win the meetings all by themselves... Look extremely weak at reserve though, they desperately need either Joe or Jordan to have their breakout years this year... Good luck smoggies :t:

6. Birmingham - Solid team of racers, I really like the look of their team and all of them give 110% to the cause!! Would think the Brummies fans are much happier with this team compared to last year, I see them pushing for the playoffs but not guaranteed on making it, potentially down to the inconsistency of THJ (I hope I'm proved wrong, big fan of his) and the injury proneness of some of the other riders (Again, hope I'm wrong on this).

7. Somerset - Their weakest looking team for a while!! Losing Nick Morris, Chris Harris and Nico Covatti was bad enough... But they've not exactly replaced them very well... Josh and Ben likely to not do a whole season (For one reason or another) and despite them being very entertaining, I really don't see Somerset as a very strong title contender at all, which is what a club that size should be aiming for every season. Think once Bradley's average has dropped 1/1.5 points changes will be made for sure and maybe that will push them higher up this list, but for now... They remain JUST outside the playoffs for me.

8. Newcastle - I could have been bias and put them at number 1 ;) But realistically I know we don't have the strongest looking side so far and unless we manage to get Kenni in on a 4.00 assessed average we don't look to be too threatening either, but the team is still decent considering our uncertainty at the beginning of the season and how much later we had to start than everyone else. Btw best reserve PARTNERSHIP in the league... And I'm really looking forward to seeing James, Connor and Max improve next season and some of Mattys impressive inside passes on bend 4 :D

9. Edinburgh - Despite the fact I think they will make pretty drastic changes at some point in the season and will look much strong because of this, the team Edinburgh have now I reckon will finish around about here. Of course very strong top end as usual for Edinburgh and James Sarjeant at reserve is impressive, but I'm not sure how the two new faces will do, especially considering one of them will be at number 4, would like to see them both kick on though, obviously.

10. Scunthorpe - Pretty usual, boring looking Scunny side, but probably one of the strongest they've fielded since they won the little knockout trophy at the end of 2012 when the Diamonds were LEAGUE winners :) Simon Lambert is a great reserve and I'm sure Jordan Palin will increase his 2.00 average significantly... Josh Auty easily the weakest number 1 however and will only really do ok at home... Think Jake Allen will kick on though and the likes of Tommy and Danny will increase on their averages also... Jealous Tero is riding for yous and not Newcastle like

11. Kent - Think the first year for Kent was always going to be a struggle, and they do have top riders like Scott and Cameron in their team. Not sure how Nico will handle being the second heatleader, especially away and they don't look massively strong at reserve, even though I'm glad they signed Dan as I think he will be great next year!! Kent, another team I have a lot of respect for.

12. Berwick - Look pretty weak despite having some good racers in the team in Aaron Summers and NBJ, like what they've done at reserve though, two young local(ish) reserves who will form a good partnership imo... But that still doesn't take away from how weak their team looks overall... Sorry Berwick.

Feel free to counterargument in a polite manner :D

As many have pointed out Nielsen won't be at reserve for Poole, finding it tough to place then with 3 places still to fill!

Thompson twins have lower NL aves than Gilkes, Palin, Lawlor & possibly Jenkins so Leicester could struggle for points there, but have a VERY strong top 5!

Glasgow do have the best rider in the league imo!

Tough to know what to expect from Brennan as while he scored lots of points last year, they were from the "easier" number 7 position!

As with Leicester, Redcar very weak at reserve, with a good top 5 & fantastic top 3!

Can't disagree with any of your comments on Somerset, but would have them placed lower down the table!

Newcastle could very well have best reserves in the league, agree with you there!

Edinburgh look good at heat leader & reserve level but their two new second strings are the big question marks!

Think Scunthorpe look far from boring & could well challenge at the top of the league!

I don't think Covatti will struggle as second HL but Kent surely doesn't suit his style, but if Covatti is at 5 Heeps won't be & should improve his average! Look weak at reserve, but Gilkes is promising!

Berwick don't look strong at HL, SS or reserve so expect a season of struggle for them too! Although that being said look a good home side!

20 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

They just don’t have a number 1. Jake Allen has to kick on. And can Ayers keep going with the form he had. It’s a potential squad for sure. But it’s just missing that guy who will get you 10-12 points a meeting. 

Got a similar look to them as the Workington 2018 side!

I wouldn't rule Poole out. They usually find a way( money permitting) to win, or at least be very competitive.

6 hours ago, poolebolton said:

It’s the 2 and 4 in the team which worries me. I think you have 3 solid heat leaders. And reserves who can improve. But it’s just the 2 and 4. I like Garcia I just hope he steps up. 

Quite agree as one of own supporters said on here when we are at home we will have 3 reserves when away will have 4 reserves lol

25 minutes ago, Bandit59 said:

Quite agree as one of own supporters said on here when we are at home we will have 3 reserves when away will have 4 reserves lol

Danny Gap is the interesting one. It’s a lot of points taken up by him. By you never know it only takes a few things to fall into place. 

1 hour ago, Bald Bloke said:

I wouldn't rule Poole out. They usually find a way( money permitting) to win, or at least be very competitive.

I hope we have a bounce back year. People might be saying what to bounce back from. But last year was tough. 

Main sponsor, change in promotion, Holder/Kurtz going out night before ippo away. Thursday night not working. Track being poor until about July. 

Im looking forward to seeing some good racing against all our local rivals bar Swindon/Plymouth. And seeing riders giving 100. We have a solid team and hopefully it can build to be a great season. 

14 minutes ago, Bandit59 said:

If Gappmaier can produce some of his home form on his travels, Berwick would be more than capable of getting some away points. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Normski said:

If Gappmaier can produce some of his home form on his travels, Berwick would be more than capable of getting some away points. 

Garcia would also have improve away for that to happen IMO.

23 minutes ago, Normski said:

Big IF would like to think so but doubt it 

20 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Garcia would also have improve away for that to happen IMO.

Coty had a higher away average than Jye & Gapp, albeit from the reserve position. 

8 minutes ago, Normski said:

Coty had a higher away average than Jye & Gapp, albeit from the reserve position. 

Does that mean Jye will have up his game then:D

5 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Does that mean Jye will have up his game then:D

Think Jye has plenty of improvement in him still.

9 minutes ago, Normski said:

Think Jye has plenty of improvement in him still.

He is certainly 100% effort, but injuries have held him back, needs to calm it a little IMO.

Love reading all the comments,Poole still to complete yet so who knows what they will put out.

Interesting how some promoters and team managers are going with a strong ,1 to 5 and two low average reserves and others have a stronger reserve who can take an extra ride 

No predictions from me , just hoping all riders who get injured aren't out for long as Speedway can be wicked and your replaced .Glad to see a fuller fixture list as well and finally remember 

With 4 riders in a race one rider always has to be at the back , enjoy your speedway,acknowledge good racing even if it's an opponent.

The silverware will be won by injuries i.e. the team who has the least or by a team visiting an injury hit team 

Enjoy the festivitys and bring on March when the wheels start turning again

14 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Interesting as I think Scunthorpe look very strong!

i agree, scorpions will be top four  finalist ,strong looking side 

• Haha 1