British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Blobby

Armadale Devils 2020

4 hours ago, pete cc said:

Wallinger is closer to 37 than 27

Oops, even more reason to not bother with him, nothing personal,

On 12/26/2019 at 12:12 PM, mac101 said:

Would hope they put a strong team together capable of winning all home matches we need the likes of if there flint perry Smith Phillips and 3 local 3 pointers 

Are you calling Ryan a 3 pointer or not expecting him in?

24 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

Are you calling Ryan a 3 pointer or not expecting him in?

He is a 3 but will have to wait and see if he gets a call 

• Like 1

Can see the Devils taking a pasting unless the 3 pointers are stronger. Ryan Mac would likely have to ride at 2 if there were rookies at reserve, Not seen Millar since his Stoke stint but will need to have stepped up a lot even in a diluted league. Could be a clever tactic to hold back and see what scraps are left over then pick the best i just hope that the club doesn't get held to ransom by heat leaders knowing that Edin need some strength somewhere.

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Can see the Devils taking a pasting unless the 3 pointers are stronger. Ryan Mac would likely have to ride at 2 if there were rookies at reserve, Not seen Millar since his Stoke stint but will need to have stepped up a lot even in a diluted league. Could be a clever tactic to hold back and see what scraps are left over then pick the best i just hope that the club doesn't get held to ransom by heat leaders knowing that Edin need some strength somewhere.

I've seen a lot of speculation as to the Devils line up but no formal announcements at all. Have I missed something?

On 12/23/2019 at 12:52 PM, Heedthebaw said:

No Leon Flint at Belle Vue, so my money is on him being at the Dale

On 12/23/2019 at 4:16 PM, Fromafar said:

Is that not a backward step for Leon.Thought he was going to ride abroad.?

Surely riding for the Devils is abroad?

I'll get my coat

• Haha 4

On 12/30/2019 at 2:11 PM, False dawn said:

I've seen a lot of speculation as to the Devils line up but no formal announcements at all. Have I missed something?

Oh boy. This is twice this week that I've broken the unwritten rule (one of mine at least), that you don't quote your own posts.

Are Edinburgh/Armadale going to sign one or two riders to ride for their newly launched team, some time soon?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, False dawn said:

Oh boy. This is twice this week that I've broken the unwritten rule (one of mine at least), that you don't quote your own posts.

Are Edinburgh/Armadale going to sign one or two riders to ride for their newly launched team, some time soon?

Given that their first matches probably won't be until May, I'd think they've got enough time -- and enough spare riders about -- to build a team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Given that their first matches probably won't be until May, I'd think they've got enough time -- and enough spare riders about -- to build a team.

They will have their team in place they just haven’t announced it yet

• Like 2

On 12/30/2019 at 10:01 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

The Devils are aiming to employ, and produce new, young Northern-based talents, rather than win the League, to judge by some very encouraging words from John Campbell:

"The Devils will embrace this fully with an exciting line up of young riders, many of whom are just setting out on their speedway journey and have been searching for their big break. They may take some time to find their feet but the opportunity is there for them to progress to become professional speedway riders."

"I am very excited by the prospect of watching our young Devils progress over the course of the season. The early matches may prove challenging but I find it is one of the greatest joys in speedway to watch a rider improve and develop. I am sure this is a view shared by many Monarchs supporters and I am certain they will fully and enthusiastically support the ethos of the Devils."

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

The Devils are aiming to employ, and produce new, young Northern-based talents, rather than win the League, to judge by some very encouraging words from John Campbell:

"The Devils will embrace this fully with an exciting line up of young riders, many of whom are just setting out on their speedway journey and have been searching for their big break. They may take some time to find their feet but the opportunity is there for them to progress to become professional speedway riders."

"I am very excited by the prospect of watching our young Devils progress over the course of the season. The early matches may prove challenging but I find it is one of the greatest joys in speedway to watch a rider improve and develop. I am sure this is a view shared by many Monarchs supporters and I am certain they will fully and enthusiastically support the ethos of the Devils."

Whilst i do fully embrace this approach it has its limitations also. Riders need opportunities to develop at the correct riding order for their abilities. Im sure several remember the Scunthorpe team of a few years ago (the one that forced the introduction of a lower team building limit the following season) where several 3 pointers were given chances in the side but ultimately in the main body of the team so getting much harder races than they needed. Of that side i can only recall Danno Verge who still rides and limited others who went much further after that venture.  

2 hours ago, crescent girl said:

As I read the above statement it says to me that the Devils are going to track a team of 3 ish pointers.i'm sorry but I disagree with this approach I know this is a development league but it is also a league that charges fans good money to watch.If I am going to pay out the best part of £20 quid (entrance,prog,parking'fuel etc) I want to be entertained and watch 2 evenly matched teams(total team averages around the same) not watch a drubbing with follow the leader racing.

Most higher average riders in this league are still developing and they need higher averaged riders to compete against to help them develop it will do them no good what so ever finishing half a lap in front every race.

I will be there for every other meeting but I'm sorry to say that if the Devils track a very week side there is no way I will be paying to watch them at the NSS and I would think a lot of other fans will do the same which means my club will lose out.

If this is the case and its only my opinon but I would put money on when the devils visit an away track this will be the lowest attendance of the season at all the tracks. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, B.V 72 said:

As I read the above statement it says to me that the Devils are going to track a team of 3 ish pointers.i'm sorry but I disagree with this approach I know this is a development league but it is also a league that charges fans good money to watch.If I am going to pay out the best part of £20 quid (entrance,prog,parking'fuel etc) I want to be entertained and watch 2 evenly matched teams(total team averages around the same) not watch a drubbing with follow the leader racing.

Most higher average riders in this league are still developing and they need higher averaged riders to compete against to help them develop it will do them no good what so ever finishing half a lap in front every race.

I will be there for every other meeting but I'm sorry to say that if the Devils track a very week side there is no way I will be paying to watch them at the NSS and I would think a lot of other fans will do the same which means my club will lose out.

If this is the case and its only my opinon but I would put money on when the devils visit an away track this will be the lowest attendance of the season at all the tracks. 

Anyone know if the minimum points limit still applies? I believe it was brought in to prevent under strength sides hurting other clubs financially. As mentioned previously when the Stags took to the track with a host of 3 pointers it meant huge home wins for sides with poor crowds meaning more money out and less in. If i recall a lot of tracks ended up running the meeting as a double header just to get supporters through the gate (and secretly hoping it would be cancelled after heat 10). Unfortunately weak teams make few friends in any league.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Whilst i do fully embrace this approach it has its limitations also. Riders need opportunities to develop at the correct riding order for their abilities. Im sure several remember the Scunthorpe team of a few years ago (the one that forced the introduction of a lower team building limit the following season) where several 3 pointers were given chances in the side but ultimately in the main body of the team so getting much harder races than they needed. Of that side i can only recall Danno Verge who still rides and limited others who went much further after that venture.  

It was in 2014 S4S and we were slated for it. Going with Steve Jones & 6 x 3 pointers might sound like it was too weak for the NL, and it was. As has been said above, there were a few thrashings & promoters were not happy paying out to 60-65+ wins.

The other riders involved in 2014 were Sam Chapman, Arron Mogridge, Danno Verge, Reece Downes, Ryan Macdonald & Liam Sanderson.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

It was in 2014 S4S and we were slated for it. Going with Steve Jones & 6 x 3 pointers might sound like it was too weak for the NL, and it was. As has been said above, there were a few thrashings & promoters were not happy paying out to 60-65+ wins.

The other riders involved in 2014 were Sam Chapman, Arron Mogridge, Danno Verge, Reece Downes, Ryan Macdonald & Liam Sanderson.

Downes never came back after the big smash on turn 2 with Sanderson and Freemantle. Sanderson look promising and was due at Kent P and P in 2015 but never showed and I never heard his name since.

I admire to a degree the Monachs approach, but it does nothing at all for the league, and certainly detrimental to the 3 stand alone clubs, who all need respectable gates.

When we look back at Scunthorpe 14 team, I believe only Danno Verge is still active, which to me says the experiment of getting tanked every week not only didnt work, but actually hindered riders progression.

• Like 1