British Speedway Forum
hawks 1975

KENT ROYALS 2020

Now we know Kent will have a minimum of six home meetings in the National League, we can turn our thoughts toward what sort of team they might build.

My initial thoughts were that Dan Gilkes and Rob Ledwith would spearhead the team, giving them confidence gaining rides in this league to assist them when things got tough in the championship .

However, if Len’s plan is to ride three of the home fixtures when the Championship side is away at Poole, Birmingham and Somerset - and to continue his admirable record of presenting weekly speedway at Central Park - does this scupper such team building? Would we be allowed a guest, or two?! Does anybody out there know?

I would love to see Jake Mulford back, and assume Alex Spooner would be. Somebody who I believe actually deserves a team spot at a higher level, and who would attract a few Lakeside fans to Central Park, would be Alfie Bowtell, whilst Jacob Clouting surely deserves another chance at reserve. Does anyone know if the very promising Nathan Ablitt can be tempted back?

The only problem I can see is that the stand alone sides, with potentially ten or more meetings, might be more attractive to riders not doubling up, and that might limit Kent’s options?

Edited by hawks 1975
UPDATED

2 hours ago, hawks 1975 said:

Now we know Kent will have a minimum of six home meetings in the National League, we can turn our thoughts toward what sort of team they might build.

My initial thoughts were that Dan Gilkes and Rob Ledwith would spearhead the team, giving them confidence gaining rides in this league to assist them when things got tough in the championship .

However, if Len’s plan is to ride three of the home fixtures when the Championship side is away at Poole, Birmingham and Somerset - and to continue his admirable record of presenting weekly speedway at Central Park - does this scupper such team building? Would we be allowed a guest, or two?! Does anybody out there know?

I would love to see Jake Mulford back, and assume Alex Spooner would be. Somebody who I believe actually deserves a team spot at a higher level, and who would attract a few Lakeside fans to Central Park, would be Alfie Bowtell, whilst Jacob Clouting surely deserves another chance at reserve. Does anyone know if the very promising Nathan Ablitt can be tempted back?

The only problem I can see is that the stand alone sides, with potentially ten or more meetings, might be more attractive to riders not doubling up, and that might limit Kent’s options?

It is not confirmed yet but I think the plan is to run some/all NL matches on Mondays & CL matches on Wednesdays, (there would still only be 1 race meeting per week), this would allow riders to ride for Kent in both leagues. 

Bowtell has signed for Plymouth.

I think if Mulford is going to commit to speedway then it will be for Kent, hopefully not having many NL matches compared to last year will work better with his grass track commitments. Would be great to have Ablitt back but I wonder how many other teams have their eye on him. I would like to see Kemp back at No1 but on a low average (for him) I can see other teams wanting him as well. Agree it would do Gilkes good to do NL as well as CL. Spooner is very popular at Kent so wouldn't be surprised to see him in the team. Thomas would make a great No 1. I wonder if doing NL & CL might be a bit much for Ledwiths ageing bones. Hurry may be a possibility.

5 hours ago, hawks 1975 said:

That's 6 home fixtures against weds clubs as we face the southern teams twice each. Mulford was announced last season so almost certainty and think Spooner is very keen to return. I was elsewhere when Len gave his speech but I am led to believe Ablitt was mentioned as in his plans. For JJ will be looking to return as well.

I thought I had read somewhere that the plan had changed to run all meetings on a weds, but I may be wrong. If that's the case then no ledders or Gilkes, if we run Mondays for NL then both are a shoe in I'd guess.

Believe Bowtell has signed for Plymouth, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Morley if he doesn't return to the Warriors (although I suspect he will as he seemed very happy on the island), would love to see Armo in the team.

With the minimum bumped back up to 3.00 (why stick with a plan for more than a season) i would think Clouting & Mulford are certainties for the reserve positions, if it was me i would look for 4 strong riders around the 6 point mark like Marson, Jenkins, Harris & Spooner and then lump the rest on a big number 1 like Wood. Just checked averages and that actually fits so im off for a cuppa. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

With the minimum bumped back up to 3.00 (why stick with a plan for more than a season) i would think Clouting & Mulford are certainties for the reserve positions, if it was me i would look for 4 strong riders around the 6 point mark like Marson, Jenkins, Harris & Spooner and then lump the rest on a big number 1 like Wood. Just checked averages and that actually fits so im off for a cuppa. 

Wood would be the most unpopular signing of all time at CP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd rather see Jake Knight back on a bike - he would entertain at Central Park. I'm sure somebody said he had been seen having a spin a while back - does anyone know if he is interested in returning? 

I think a lot depends on what the bigger picture plan is, are we looking to build a winning side or a side with potential recruits for the CL team, or combination of both?

1 hour ago, teaboy279 said:

I think a lot depends on what the bigger picture plan is, are we looking to build a winning side or a side with potential recruits for the CL team, or combination of both?

Like all Kent fans, I am in the dark at present, but I would guess that the whole object of running a National League side is to try to produce riders

to become future Kings...and I would applaud that. Far more important and useful than trying to put together a team to win the league. There are

already riders in the club who will be perfect for such a scene, Mulford immediately springing to mind as an example. 

2 hours ago, hawks 1975 said:

I'd rather see Jake Knight back on a bike - he would entertain at Central Park. I'm sure somebody said he had been seen having a spin a while back - does anyone know if he is interested in returning? 

I’ve spoken to jake a couple times, at Eastbourne and other tracks, he has always spoken. Very highly of the Kent track even with the rivalry With Eastbourne, he has also said that he would ride for Kent if the chance ever came up, but not sure what he’s doing with him self at the moment judging by Facebook and other social media he’s just doing motocross at the moment, but would certainly be a great rider to have in the Kent side with his performances, when he last rode. 

1 hour ago, Motox92 said:

I’ve spoken to jake a couple times, at Eastbourne and other tracks, he has always spoken. Very highly of the Kent track even with the rivalry With Eastbourne, he has also said that he would ride for Kent if the chance ever came up, but not sure what he’s doing with him self at the moment judging by Facebook and other social media he’s just doing motocross at the moment, but would certainly be a great rider to have in the Kent side with his performances, when he last rode. 

I think Knight would be a very good signing but if he does not have equipment it would be very expensive for him or the Kent management to get set up especially as there are so few NL meetings next season, so cannot see that happening, also Kent tried to sign him to replace Bowen when he got injured and a deal could not be reached then so I guess the same can be said now. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, flipper11 said:

I think Knight would be a very good signing but if he does not have equipment it would be very expensive for him or the Kent management to get set up especially as there are so few NL meetings next season, so cannot see that happening, also Kent tried to sign him to replace Bowen when he got injured and a deal could not be reached then so I guess the same can be said now. 

All very fair points, but with regards to the replacement for Bowen, I think it was more the fact that he was told that he would be getting a phone call from the Kent management, but the phone call never came, then see that they had signed Paul hurry, I think it was at the time, that’s what I had herd but unfortunately we don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, but a shame to not see him ride as of the seasons that he did have for Eastbourne, was involved in some great racing. 

14 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Wood would be the most unpopular signing of all time at CP.

Quite possibly but if Kent want an out an out number 1 like previous seasons the options are going to be a bit limited.

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Quite possibly but if Kent want an out an out number 1 like previous seasons the options are going to be a bit limited.

Why would any Promoter trust Wood to turn up after he let IOW down so badly last year and had knock on effect on his CL Club.

Len wouldn't stand for that kind of nonsense and probably far more trustworthy alternatives. You can't score double points sat at home after all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Islander15 said:

Couldn’t Gilkes & Jenkins be the top 2?

I think you could be right.Would Ledwith,spooner,mulford clouting and ablitt fit in ????