British Speedway Forum
hawks 1975

KENT ROYALS 2020

6 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Not sure why the Championship reserves should get injured, but even if they do, there will be plenty of riders without a team place looking for spots!

I just can see Ledwith and Gilkes getting injured on the grippier tracks in the championship you give an inch in that league and you’re getting nudged 

• Like 2

I just find this whole Kent side a little uninspiring but hoping to be proved wrong. Mulford showed enough last year to see further progression (if he arrives with better bikes), Hagon ive never been impressed with but recent reports suggest he has turned a corner in progression. Jenkins was stagnant last year, Ledwith has a lot to do in the Champs and may find the pressure could affect his NL performances. Gilkes from reserve to Number 1 is a big ask but has been many times before. Clouting deserves a chance but will face a tougher run at 2nd string and Spooner has limited improvement left especially with a short league season. I fear for the NL venture as there is nothing to draw supporters away from the more exciting CL side and crowd levels could be poor. Certainly going to be very interesting what the gate prices are this season?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I just find this whole Kent side a little uninspiring but hoping to be proved wrong. Mulford showed enough last year to see further progression (if he arrives with better bikes), Hagon ive never been impressed with but recent reports suggest he has turned a corner in progression. Jenkins was stagnant last year, Ledwith has a lot to do in the Champs and may find the pressure could affect his NL performances. Gilkes from reserve to Number 1 is a big ask but has been many times before. Clouting deserves a chance but will face a tougher run at 2nd string and Spooner has limited improvement left especially with a short league season. I fear for the NL venture as there is nothing to draw supporters away from the more exciting CL side and crowd levels could be poor. Certainly going to be very interesting what the gate prices are this season?

Certainly going to be very interesting what the gate prices are this season?

The main issue is if the 2 heat leaders are having a bad trot in the higher league theres nobody to thump in big scores if condidence is a bit low

42 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

The main issue is if the 2 heat leaders are having a bad trot in the higher league theres nobody to thump in big scores if condidence is a bit low

I suppose it can work the other way, banging in a few big scores in the NL might give them a bit more confidence in the higher league? 

When all the teams are known, don't think this will be a bad team to be honest. 

On 1/19/2020 at 5:26 PM, Sidney the robin said:

Gilkes can be a genuine number one with. Ledwith capable of better Jenkins has the ability to be a third heat leader.  Miulford is a really exciting prospect along with  the young talented Hagon as well it looks a really exciting team.

Agree Sidney the robin, however, if Alex is placed in the right spot he can be a strong leader in a second string role. Jacob is the flimsy rider, has to regain his confidence after the accident of a couple of seasons ago. He could improve or lay dormant in which case he will become a useful reserve. Just have to wait and see.

On 1/19/2020 at 9:16 AM, blueherb777 said:

Six returnees,strong top three and two of the most exciting youngsters around.For myself I am really looking forward to watching the Championship team....but this looks good enough to do well.

On 1/19/2020 at 11:43 AM, szkocjasid said:

Can't see a strong top three in that side!

On 1/19/2020 at 3:11 PM, teaboy279 said:

Dont see how Gilkes Ledwith and Jenkins is not a strong top 3. All got championship spots as well. It's a team well under the points limit, but all riders have the ability to put 2 points on thier averages imho.

Whilst I dont think the side has been built with winning as the sole goal. I d be quite shocked if we werent in the end of season play offs.

On 1/19/2020 at 5:26 PM, Sidney the robin said:

Gilkes can be a genuine number one with. Ledwith capable of better Jenkins has the ability to be a third heat leader.  Miulford is a really exciting prospect along with  the young talented Hagon as well it looks a really exciting team.

This is how I rate the "top 3's" in the league:

1. Belle Vue
2. Leicester
3. Plymouth
4. Mildenhall
5. Isle of Wight
6. Kent
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

This is how I rate the "top 3's" in the league:

1. Belle Vue
2. Leicester
3. Plymouth
4. Mildenhall
5. Isle of Wight
6. Kent

You may be right but Kent’s priority is developing riders for their higher league aspirations.  

22 minutes ago, blueherb777 said:

You may be right but Kent’s priority is developing riders for their higher league aspirations.  

Spot on and what a refreshing idea that is blueherb777.

58 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I believe that has been Lens' overarching requirement for several seasons now. The issues with the local Council planners have had it all put on the back burner till now. I believe that all League sides should take a real interest in the development of British riders by either running their own team or assisting with one of the dwindling number of stand-alone NDL sides. 

1 hour ago, Rebel1 said:

I believe that has been Lens' overarching requirement for several seasons now. The issues with the local Council planners have had it all put on the back burner till now. I believe that all League sides should take a real interest in the development of British riders by either running their own team or assisting with one of the dwindling number of stand-alone NDL sides. 

Totally right and the National league now is producing some talented young riders which is great.The next step for the likes of Flint, Palin, Kemp,Thompson x2 Bickley, Gilkes ( etc) is to make the next step which is a huge step to get astablished  in the Championship.I would like to see these young lads be protected for a couple of seasons to let them develope no pressure and the clubs to support and assist them in every way.This in the longterm would help our National side it has to surely a rule can be brought in for that to happen.

Edited by Sidney the robin

4 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Totally right and the National league now is producing some talented young riders which is great.The next step for the likes of Flint, Palin, Kemp,Thompson x2 Bickley, Gilkes ( etc) is to make the next step which is a huge step to get astablished  in the Championship.I would like to see these young lads be protected for a couple of seasons to let them develope no pressure and the clubs to support and assist them in every way.This in the longterm would help our National side it has to surely a rule can be brought in for that to happen.

The unfortunate part of your thoughts Sidney the robin is the points building formula. The reserves, being these NL lads, tends to see them being dumped for lesser points average riders. Few if any promoters build a side from the bottom as they are more interested in the more solid scoring riders. I do agree though that these young lads need to be nurtured, I am sure that Len will stand by his decision to fledge Dan this year and probably coach him. He has the slot alongside Scott for this season in the pits so he will have lots of encouragement. 

11 hours ago, Rebel1 said:

The unfortunate part of your thoughts Sidney the robin is the points building formula. The reserves, being these NL lads, tends to see them being dumped for lesser points average riders. Few if any promoters build a side from the bottom as they are more interested in the more solid scoring riders. I do agree though that these young lads need to be nurtured, I am sure that Len will stand by his decision to fledge Dan this year and probably coach him. He has the slot alongside Scott for this season in the pits so he will have lots of encouragement. 

Well he can't have anyone better than Scott to help him along can he.I would think Len would be  thinking along the lines of Gilkes doing his best in the Championship learning along the way which will hold him in good stead for the future.I think Gilkes main target this season is to establish himself as a NL number one he can do that which would be a great achievement.For these young lads though it is imperative that they have those NL rides to fall back on i hope certain rules in the future always allow that.

23 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I am sure that Len has publicly made it clear that his reason for running a National League side is to try to produce riders for the Kings in the

future. Personally I applaud that aim and will support the junior side fully.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I would like them protected to a certain level unlike in Poland. If any of these lads reach an average of about 6 then it proves that they are ready to be a 2nd strings as to average 6, you must be beating fellow reserves & 2nd strings. 

To move up if you get an average of about 4-4.50 would be wrong as some teams might go top heavy in the team leader department, having 2nd strings at around that level. Most teams will have 2nd strings about 5-5.50 so the move up should be correct.

• Like 1