British Speedway Forum
hawks 1975

KENT ROYALS 2020

Kent should really have named their 2nds the Kent Jacks. Then, if the riders progresses it will be a case of: From a Jack to a King.

You will need to be a student of popular 1960s music to get that one.

In the meantime, I will get my coat.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Kent should really have named their 2nds the Kent Jacks. Then, if the riders progresses it will be a case of: From a Jack to a King.

So does that make a borderline rider hovering between the two teams a queen?

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Best quote of the day.  Made me grin for a moment

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 11:35 PM, East End Fan said:

Best quote of the day.  Made me grin for a moment

Is it true that the Isle of Wight shut down because of the rules laid down by BSPA ?  I'd really like to know more detail as there must be

more to this than meets the eye.  The sport can ill afford to lose clubs and I'm sure many fans had their Summer holidays on the Island

because Speedway was there.  Never seen it myself, but I'm told it is quite a big track.

Eastbourne have IMO priced the NDL 2021 at what it’s worth, with teams consisting of 4 novices and 3 recognised experienced riders. £10 for a stand-alone meeting. 

Kent cannot run double headers within their planning permission, and with running an attractive looking Championship side might struggle to attract fans to the 2021 NDL league fixtures.? 

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2021 at 11:46 PM, old bob at herne bay said:

Eastbourne have IMO priced the NDL 2021 at what it’s worth, with teams consisting of 4 novices and 3 recognised experienced riders. £10 for a stand-alone meeting. 

Kent cannot run double headers within their planning permission, and with running an attractive looking Championship side might struggle to attract fans to the 2021 NDL league fixtures.? 

They will not struggle for me.  I like my weekly fix and I'm just as happy for that fix to be from National League as it is for anything else. I get an extra

kick from seeing the new riders progress. In 2019, our last active season, I was delighted to see Danny Gilkes move up to heat leader standard in only

a few short weeks after a nasty injury, then along came Jake Mulford out of the blue and showed that he can hold onto a bucking speedway bike even

though he had no experience. So, for me, having two teams with the obvious connection at Kent will get me to the track each and every week so long

as I am fit and well.

Admission prices are due on website tomorrow.

Edited by cityrebel
Mistake in post

I know CL/NL has been done at other tracks but I really don't believe that the NL side will get much support. I hope I'm wrong

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Technik said:

I know CL/NL has been done at other tracks but I really don't believe that the NL side will get much support. I hope I'm wrong

It just depends on the entertainment value.   If the meetings at both levels are exciting, I think the public will support it.  I certainly will

I think the bank holiday fixtures will probably sustain the season and should bring bumper crowds as usual but a fixture list with one home match a month for the Royals will struggle to gain any momentum before packing 3 fixtures into 4 weeks in September. If things have gone well for either side the numbers could be ok but if there is little to play for on the final matches it could be futurama level crowds.

• Like 1

Lets remember Kent  Royals are EFFECTIVELY a stand alone NL club, as they cannot run the majority of their fixtures as double headers tacked onto their CL meetings as is being done at other clubs.  With the vast reduction in standard of riders in 2021, the entertainment value has to be there ...even in the plush surroundings of Central Park, folks will rapidly get disillusioned if 15 heats cannot be completed before the curfew. 

Will be interesting to see come the end of 2021 just how many NL clubs continue into 2022 ..........to continue the BSPL experiment of the 3 point novice rider scheme.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Lets remember Kent  Royals are EFFECTIVELY a stand alone NL club, as they cannot run the majority of their fixtures as double headers tacked onto their CL meetings as is being done at other clubs.  With the vast reduction in standard of riders in 2021, the entertainment value has to be there ...even in the plush surroundings of Central Park, folks will rapidly get disillusioned if 15 heats cannot be completed before the curfew. 

Will be interesting to see come the end of 2021 just how many NL clubs continue into 2022 ..........to continue the BSPL experiment of the 3 point novice rider scheme.  

I think there is an exagerration of a drop in standard. Our Royals team has 3 very good heat leaders in Ryan Kinsley ( don't know too much about him except that he  has

been a heat leader at MIldenhall), Danny Gilkes and Rob Ledwith plus an improving Jacob Clouting and the very exciting Jake Mulford. I think that's as good a top

5 as we have ever had IMO. The two newcomers are a question mark, but if one of them turns up trumps, we are in for a good season.  I also keep reading of riders joining

our near neighbours at Eastie and none them are nobodies.  Isn't Jake Knight their No 1 ?? the only time I saw him at Central Park he was sensational.

8 hours ago, East End Fan said:

I think there is an exagerration of a drop in standard. Our Royals team has 3 very good heat leaders in Ryan Kinsley ( don't know too much about him except that he  has

been a heat leader at MIldenhall), Danny Gilkes and Rob Ledwith plus an improving Jacob Clouting and the very exciting Jake Mulford. I think that's as good a top

5 as we have ever had IMO. The two newcomers are a question mark, but if one of them turns up trumps, we are in for a good season.  I also keep reading of riders joining

our near neighbours at Eastie and none them are nobodies.  Isn't Jake Knight their No 1 ?? the only time I saw him at Central Park he was sensational.

Sadly the difference in standard has occurred in two ways. One is that the gulf between heat leaders and the rest is getting very wide and it will take special riders like Gilkes to bridge that gap but for the most part there will be a stark difference in ability on track at the same time. Two is that building a decent team to the limit can be done if known about but only by a couple of teams. Kent had a much better team before the rule change than after it and the points difference is only 0.26. 

Easbourne have been able to pick up the pieces of the IOW and Plymouth sides along with a local number 1 and build a side thats easier to pay to watch but it will still be a hard sell if the opposition isn't putting up much of a fight.

Oh and no major disrespect to the lads but this top 5 isn't a patch on the class of 2016.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Sadly the difference in standard has occurred in two ways. One is that the gulf between heat leaders and the rest is getting very wide and it will take special riders like Gilkes to bridge that gap but for the most part there will be a stark difference in ability on track at the same time. Two is that building a decent team to the limit can be done if known about but only by a couple of teams. Kent had a much better team before the rule change than after it and the points difference is only 0.26. 

Easbourne have been able to pick up the pieces of the IOW and Plymouth sides along with a local number 1 and build a side thats easier to pay to watch but it will still be a hard sell if the opposition isn't putting up much of a fight.

Oh and no major disrespect to the lads but this top 5 isn't a patch on the class of 2016.

But surely, one of the enjoyments of the National League is watching the new young riders progress and improve. This year my eyes will be on

Mulford and Clouting.  Mulford in particular showed signs of exceptional ability on occasions and I believe is outstanding on Grass Track ( not

the same, I know, but relevant). Clouting has taken a bit longer to progress but has quite a classic style which I love.  The "class of 2016" were no

better when their careers began.

26 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

But surely, one of the enjoyments of the National League is watching the new young riders progress and improve. This year my eyes will be on

Mulford and Clouting.  Mulford in particular showed signs of exceptional ability on occasions and I believe is outstanding on Grass Track ( not

the same, I know, but relevant). Clouting has taken a bit longer to progress but has quite a classic style which I love.  The "class of 2016" were no

better when their careers began.

I quite agree the issue being the level of improvement required to be quantified a successful. Should the mentioned Mulford or Clouting beat all the other reserves and second strings consistently this season then yes i would say that is a solid and achievable improvement. However there is still likely to be a big jump from that level to competing with the heat leaders who are also riding in the CL.  Clouting has a great style but now needs some additional speed to go with it and Mulford although talented still has a way to go to join the ranks of successful grasstrack crossovers and is only just cutting his teeth in the 500cc class of that discipline. Time will tell for both riders.