Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
hawks 1975

KENT ROYALS 2020

On 3/19/2021 at 12:10 AM, East End Fan said:

I think there is an exagerration of a drop in standard. Our Royals team has 3 very good heat leaders in Ryan Kinsley ( don't know too much about him except that he  has

been a heat leader at MIldenhall), Danny Gilkes and Rob Ledwith plus an improving Jacob Clouting and the very exciting Jake Mulford. I think that's as good a top 5 as we have ever had IMO. The two newcomers are a question mark, but if one of them turns up trumps, we are in for a good season.

Sorry but have to disagree, 2 x 3.1 riders & a 3rd heat leader below 6 has to be the weakest top 5 Kent have ever put out!

• Like 1

Kent probably have the best 1&5 combination in the league but that is largely where the excitement ends. I think the disjointed fixture list seeing just 5 matches until the end of July and then 8 in the space of a month between late August and late September will be telling. If the riders can get sharp elsewhere the team could be ok but if the riders are race rusty this team could take a few hammerings and hurt the reputation of both rider and club. 

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Kent probably have the best 1&5 combination in the league but that is largely where the excitement ends. I think the disjointed fixture list seeing just 5 matches until the end of July and then 8 in the space of a month between late August and late September will be telling. If the riders can get sharp elsewhere the team could be ok but if the riders are race rusty this team could take a few hammerings and hurt the reputation of both rider and club. 

In a very shortened season because of Covid, it is no surprise to see National League fixtures at Kent less than perfect. Doubt if it will affect

performances.  Just do not see this 7 getting "hammered".  Typical of Sings to be so negative.

10 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Adult Admission  £18 for  Championship and £15 for NDL

As im already tarred as too negative it won't matter. £15 for this level of NDL is a pi$$ take and i will be taking my money to Eastbourne / Mildenhall

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

As im already tarred as too negative it won't matter. £15 for this level of NDL is a pi$$ take and i will be taking my money to Eastbourne / Mildenhall

Yes.  Spend the money on petrol

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Don't think you're being negative, it always seems to be the norm at Kent with high prices. Would think it guarantees a virtually non existent crowd for NL meetings. 

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Yes.  Spend the money on petrol

The financials aren't the issue its the feeling of value for money. Throw in making a bit of a day out rather than a midweek rush and the temptation to venture further afield grows stronger. I still may pop by for some CL meetings if the earlier reports of meetings are good.

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Agree,£15 is a joke, that’s speedway promotion though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Totally agree, for such a weak league needs to be no more than £10!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

£15 is far too expensive for a 3rd tier, let alone whatever the BSPL want this league branded as now! Also with the number of double headers now it effectively drives the price down further and makes Kent look even more expensive.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Islander15 said:

£15 is far too expensive for a 3rd tier, let alone whatever the BSPL want this league branded as now! Also with the number of double headers now it effectively drives the price down further and makes Kent look even more expensive.  

Kent are not allowed to do double headers and also have other issues with Planning Permission and everyone knows that it restricts the numbers attending. When push comes to shove,

the riders have to be paid and even raw novices have to have top class bikes these days. Personally, I am very glad that it is planned to have Speedway every week

once Maytime come in. A lot of clubs do not do that. But the Covid bug has not yet disappeared, so lots can change between now and then.

• Like 1

East End Fan , I have some sympathy with my local club ..... but I do think they have failed to sharpen their pencils in respect of trimming costs of the 2021 National League operation.  Additionally, there are NO senior concessions on the prices.

No doubt thay pay a significant rent for the well appointed stadium at Sittingbourne, but they surely have a reduced riders wage bill than that of 2019, given the standard of riders under the new 35 point limit.    I was always told that riders wages were the major cost of operating a speedway club.

They have pitched their CL offering at a competitive price with some attractive team members in a side who must command high wages. 

I am left to assume they are paying the NL team members much more than other clubs.They need to deliver attractive entertainment to provide  value for money if they are to survive beyond 2021 IMO. 

To me it's simple mathematics and he's gambling on numbers. If he thinks it'll be say 200 die hard fans at £15 or 300 at £10 it's the same income. But to me I  can't see those figures working as people will save their money for the championship meetings ie only £3 more to see Nichols etc. £10, especially with big concessions for children must bring in a higher proportion of the usual fans, plus a few extras may give it a go due to a relatively inexpensive evening out.

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 1

I think Kent are hoping for the usual mass turn outs on the bank holiday meetings. pack in £1000+ for these at £15 a head for NL and they will be in a strong position, get a rain off on either of these and there could be trouble. Kent have returned a profit every year so know the total footfall they need across a season to make it pay.  I just hope that widening the gulf in class in leagues so drastically for just a £3 difference could see very small crowds at Kent especially at the end of the season.