British Speedway Forum
hawks 1975

KENT ROYALS 2020

Whilst im not saying the current system is perfect (far from it) i am against protecting riders. The Aussies have to sink or swim and they are doing alright, offering safety nets to riders does not help the drive and ambition. If you want to see a bigger pipeline of higher standard UK riders then the level has to be set high enough so that they know what is required. If the bar is set at competent and average then that is what we will continue to churn out.    

2 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

I would like them protected to a certain level unlike in Poland. If any of these lads reach an average of about 6 then it proves that they are ready to be a 2nd strings as to average 6, you must be beating fellow reserves & 2nd strings. 

To move up if you get an average of about 4-4.50 would be wrong as some teams might go top heavy in the team leader department, having 2nd strings at around that level. Most teams will have 2nd strings about 5-5.50 so the move up should be correct.

Totally agree Iron and two examples last year Kemp/Rowe both had to ride in a top five when really they were not ready for that step.Both to there credit did pretty well but it could of happened to other riders and  could of ended  up being devastating to them.That is where a rule needs to  comes into place that is not just about the team speedway side of thing's the National side's future has to be a consideration as well.

How many riders have pulled out of the sport in the last few years because the step up was too much.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Whilst im not saying the current system is perfect (far from it) i am against protecting riders. The Aussies have to sink or swim and they are doing alright, offering safety nets to riders does not help the drive and ambition. If you want to see a bigger pipeline of higher standard UK riders then the level has to be set high enough so that they know what is required. If the bar is set at competent and average then that is what we will continue to churn out.    

The Aussies though often get time in the reserve berths though!!! for me all these Aussies as much as i like them should be averaging six points anyway.It does not have to be a sink or swim situation it is all about the future not just for the moment not everything has to be a dog/eat dog situation.

26 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

The Aussies though often get time in the reserve berths though!!! for me all these Aussies as much as i like them should be averaging six points anyway.It does not have to be a sink or swim situation it is all about the future not just for the moment not everything has to be a dog/eat dog situation.

You are correct not everything has to be dog eat dog but in the sporting world it usually is. Where Speedway has historically fallen down is the individuality of the riders and the way they move around clubs (loyalty works both ways i know). Other sports do have academy levels and the benefit of higher teams investing into the future riders from an early stage. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

You are correct not everything has to be dog eat dog but in the sporting world it usually is. Where Speedway has historically fallen down is the individuality of the riders and the way they move around clubs (loyalty works both ways i know). Other sports do have academy levels and the benefit of higher teams investing into the future riders from an early stage. 

Yes totally agree with all of what you say,  that is why i was so  disappointed that Swindon were not aloud to keep the same seven riders this season.Continuity is very important for me in speedway and the winning side of thing's is not everything it is not as if there are massive great financial gains in revenue at the end of the season either.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

New name for the young Kent team as the National League side will be known as the 'Royals'. Just have to wait and see what pictorial will be put on the racing bibs.

It can hardly be a crown, but it is possible. Maybe the old Crusaders emblem will be resurrected. No doubt we will have to wait for the first meeting to find out.

16 hours ago, Rebel1 said:

New name for the young Kent team as the National League side will be known as the 'Royals'. Just have to wait and see what pictorial will be put on the racing bibs.

It can hardly be a crown, but it is possible. Maybe the old Crusaders emblem will be resurrected. No doubt we will have to wait for the first meeting to find out.

I was told that there is a competition with local schools to pick a name for the team. Have not seen any news about the result. Did Royals win it ?

19 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

I was told that there is a competition with local schools to pick a name for the team. Have not seen any news about the result. Did Royals win it ?

Copied from yesterdays announcement on the BSPA website.

KENT’S National League team in 2020 will be known as the Royals.

The nickname was selected following a hugely successful competition involving eight local schools, resulting in over 60 suggestions with Newington Primary School providing the winning entry.

Promoter Len Silver said: “The competition was devised by our Commercial Manager, Graham Darling and generously sponsored by Specsavers, and both are to be thanked for such a great effort.

“It has resulted in massive local publicity for the club with a whole host of new youngsters now potential fans.

“Now it's up to our Fans' Force to continue that publicity with emphasis on getting out the news of our new Wednesday race night and our opening date of April 8.”

9 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Fans’ Force. What’s that and how does it work? Who runs it?

Basically the club print thousands if posters brochures and fixture lists, and us fans distribute them around local tourist spots, libraries, work places, schools etc.

4 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Basically the club print thousands if posters brochures and fixture lists, and us fans distribute them around local tourist spots, libraries, work places, schools etc.

Good idea that 

5 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Thanks for the information on the initiative. Hope you get a shoe leather allowance from the club:rofl:

On 2/3/2020 at 3:51 AM, teaboy279 said:

I could probably get a few posters put up.  Do I get them from the stadium ?

On 1/28/2020 at 2:20 PM, Sidney the robin said:

Totally agree Iron and two examples last year Kemp/Rowe both had to ride in a top five when really they were not ready for that step.Both to there credit did pretty well but it could of happened to other riders and  could of ended  up being devastating to them.That is where a rule needs to  comes into place that is not just about the team speedway side of thing's the National side's future has to be a consideration as well.

But others last year, with similar NL averages who started last season with 3 point Championship averages at reserve,  moved into the Top 5 and flourished, like Ellis Perks did....