Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
hawks 1975

KENT ROYALS 2020

16 hours ago, East End Fan said:

blown away by Vinnie Foord's first two rides on

the track, but then wrecked his bike

how many times has that been written this season? the lad clearly has speed BUT how sustainable is the sport with that level of attrition on equipment?

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

how many times has that been written this season? the lad clearly has speed BUT how sustainable is the sport with that level of attrition on equipment?

As they say in F1, it's easier and cheaper to make a fast car reliable, than a reliable car fast.

Let's hope thats a similar scenario with Foord before he hurts himself or runs out of money, calming down but keeping the speed.

5 hours ago, gazzac said:

As they say in F1, it's easier and cheaper to make a fast car reliable, than a reliable car fast.

Let's hope thats a similar scenario with Foord before he hurts himself or runs out of money, calming down but keeping the speed.

To be fair to the lad, he seems to have come on a lot since those early meetings at Arlington.

Apologies to Ford. Not especially picking on him . No bike . I knew that but what about the other Royals who didn’t make the 2 minute warning ? Leaving 3 riders in each race. And you say the track was fit for racing ? ? Pleased that no one suffered serious injury.  Maybe if there was the same enthusiasm to run in wet conditions earlier in the season,  there wouldn’t have been such a fixture backlog ? 

At the very least , Tuesday’s meeting should have been called off by ref after 10 heats. 

Lets hope that next season brings a full season of action with some slack in the very limited track time allowed at Kent. I say again  Running in 2 leagues is not IMO a sensible option with no options of catching up using off nights or double headers. 

27 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Let’s see how many Refs can persuade the “big boys” to ride in bad conditions though.No Chance,IMO.

Absolutely, only The NDL would ride in those conditions. The riders rode very sensibly on a saturated track. Why is it that riders with far greater skill and experience would refuse to race, yet the youngsters gave it their all. 

15 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Absolutely, only The NDL would ride in those conditions. The riders rode very sensibly on a saturated track. Why is it that riders with far greater skill and experience would refuse to race, yet the youngsters gave it their all. 

It was a credit to every rider. I have never seen the like of it. I think the ref' should have called a halt at heat 8 when Vinnie Foord had what looked like

an engine failure and was ridden into by the following rider, probably because he could not see.  And the stupid criticism on this column of riders who

missed races when it was obvious to those of us in the grandstand that machinery was the reason.  Mulford kept trying to race but his bike gave loads

of trouble,  probably wet through. Every rider a Hero in my book.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Apologies to Ford. Not especially picking on him . No bike . I knew that but what about the other Royals who didn’t make the 2 minute warning ? Leaving 3 riders in each race. And you say the track was fit for racing ? ? Pleased that no one suffered serious injury.  Maybe if there was the same enthusiasm to run in wet conditions earlier in the season,  there wouldn’t have been such a fixture backlog ? 

At the very least , Tuesday’s meeting should have been called off by ref after 10 heats. 

Lets hope that next season brings a full season of action with some slack in the very limited track time allowed at Kent. I say again  Running in 2 leagues is not IMO a sensible option with no options of catching up using off nights or double headers. 

Obviously at a later stage in the season and due to recent misadventures Foord is running with one bike (there was a time when even NL promotors demanded riders turn up with two). As covered the others were struggling with equipment also, the shale and moisture plays havoc with the basic electrics these machines run on so no surprise they didn't want to play. I have seen some comments of not wanting to dirty other bikes but given the sheer amount of hours it takes to prepare each machine and the knowledge that it will be for one more ride on a track nobody was enjoying it feels like a fairly easy choice. In all honesty the way the NDL has been treated/regarded this season its hard to expect the riders to treat it seriously when nobody else does. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cityrebel said:

It is questionable whether the meeting should been run when the heat times were 

9-12 seconds slower than the other NDL fixture,it’s obvious there was no racing, just getting round,fans paid good money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

It is questionable whether the meeting should been run when the heat times were 

9-12 seconds slower than the other NDL fixture,it’s obvious there was no racing, just getting round,fans paid good money.

It was dry when it started, but should never have gone beyond heat 10. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cityrebel said:

It was dry when it started, but should never have gone beyond heat 10. 

I agree with that 100%.  It was obvious to me that if the rain had arrived when it was forecast ( about 8pm), the meeting would have been run

on a perfectly dry and well prepared track. But, as is often the case, the weather forecast was not accurate. An impossible situation and the

referee decided to run no matter how wet it got.  Many other would have called it off even before heat 10....as it should have been.

On 9/30/2021 at 3:25 PM, gazzac said:

To clarify Vinnie wasn't even close to crashing all night. He was leading heat 8 when his engine went pop heading into turn 3, and the 2 lads who were closely battling ploughed into the back of him.  Him and Dan Gilkes looked silky smooth all night, which is why he won rider of the night on his home debut. 

8 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

To clarify Vinnie wasn't even close to crashing all night. He was leading heat 8 when his engine went pop heading into turn 3, and the 2 lads who were closely battling ploughed into the back of him.  Him and Dan Gilkes looked silky smooth all night, which is why he won rider of the night on his home debut. 

That's good, (not the engine pop)its happening already for him becoming steadier with keeping the speed. Don't think anyone can imagine what it takes physically to hang onto these 500cc beasts who hasn't ridden one, and Vinnie and the riders of his age can only get stronger with age. I only saw him at Arlington so really pleased he's getting  better already.

Edited by gazzac

Well, well,  tomorrow's scheduled meeting versus Leicester Lion Cubs has already been called off (on the Kent Speedway website)  over 24 hours before the scheduled start time.

Met office forecast tomorrow is for rain first thing then clearing to sunny intervals.

Seemed the Berwick meeting had to be run "at all costs"., and once was enough for the young lads in the team.  

Will the Royals step leave their Palace to race again this season ?

55 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Well, well,  tomorrow's scheduled meeting versus Leicester Lion Cubs has already been called off (on the Kent Speedway website)  over 24 hours before the scheduled start time.

Met office forecast tomorrow is for rain first thing then clearing to sunny intervals.

Seemed the Berwick meeting had to be run "at all costs"., and once was enough for the young lads in the team.  

Will the Royals step leave their Palace to race again this season ?

The Berwick meeting started out on a perfect track after several dry days in the lead up. Totally different situation that is obvious to

anyone with an eye on the weather. Constant rain every day, on and off and when the meeting was cancelled late this afternoon, I, for one, was

not surprised. But dear Old Bob just HAS to have a dig at the club.  Has Herne Bay been dry and sunny all week ?   I don't think so..

• Like 1