British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Riders who stayed on in the UK

3 minutes ago, HertsRacer said:

Could this have been Max Rech who was Polish and rode for Fleetwood and St Austell in the early 1950's. I read somewhere that he settled in England after retiring from speedway.

Think that is right !!!

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

Think that is right !!!

I wondered about him too. I just checked on the speedway museum website, and gustix made a post about him. He did stay in the west country until he died in the 1990's.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, norbold said:

Teo Teodorowicz also made his home in this country after seeking asylum - sadly not for very long though.:sad:

I think he had a race accident in 1964 and died in 1965 without regaining consciousness. I saw him race at Wimbledon for, I think, Swindon 

21 hours ago, HertsRacer said:

How about Danish rider Arne Pander ?  Know he died in a nursing home in Kings Lynn.

Arne rode for Oxford from 1959 to 1968 and had great success despite serious injuries. He lived in England until his death at 83

19 minutes ago, Celticman said:

Arne rode for Oxford from 1959 to 1968 and had great success despite serious injuries. He lived in England until his death at 83

Think his last meetings were at Halifax.

Also a possibility Henning Loof stayed on ? I think he got married to a British woman, although he did turn up in Germany a few years back and rode in one or two meetings before disappearing again. So not sure where he is

1 hour ago, Celticman said:

Yes mum remembers him as a regular visitor to the local Health Centre on Blackbird Leys where she worked at the time!

Rene Aas married a Sheffield lady and was around for a few years after finishing racing, although I don't know if he is still in the UK now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Also a possibility Henning Loof stayed on ? I think he got married to a British woman, although he did turn up in Germany a few years back and rode in one or two meetings before disappearing again. So not sure where he is

His Instagram account says he lives in Somerset. Don't know when that was posted though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Truro Robin said:

I think Ronnie Correy is still living over here. (He may have returned home and come back)

From memory he returned home but after so long over here he couldn’t settle. So came back, was down Wolves last year with his son

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 3:26 PM, iris123 said:

Good shout. I was also thinking of Jan Steachmann and Sam Ermolenko, but not sure on whether they reside in the UK or not now

I think Stekkers runs the old speedway dvd thing, classic speedway videos.com or something like that - so assume that's his base - somewhere like stafford i think it was.

Edited by The Doctor...
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

I think Stekkers runs the old speedway dvd thing, classic speedway videos.com or something like that - so assume that's his base - somewhere like stafford i think it was.

Yes I've bought some DVD's from him.

17 hours ago, Red Flag said:

From memory he returned home but after so long over here he couldn’t settle. So came back, was down Wolves last year with his son

Seems strange that Californians settle with our lovely weather. Hancock even seems to have settled quite nicely in Sweden, although his career isn't over yet. And Shawn Moran was possibly still is living down in south Germany