British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Riders who stayed on in the UK

Was looking through an old book and it had a section on 'Where are they now' and it stated Pioneer rider Billy Galloway had just died having been an instructor at the Scottish School of Hairdressing !!!

Which got me wondering how many overseas riders stayed in the UK after their career was over?

Couple of obvious ones are Olle Nygren and Peter Schroek

Not quite the UK, but last I heard, Ed Stangeland was living in Ireland.

There was a polish rider that stayed on and lived down by Exeter possibly ?

18 hours ago, iris123 said:

Was looking through an old book and it had a section on 'Where are they now' and it stated Pioneer rider Billy Galloway had just died having been an instructor at the Scottish School of Hairdressing !!!

Which got me wondering how many overseas riders stayed in the UK after their career was over?

Couple of obvious ones are Olle Nygren and Peter Schroek

Sandor Levai?

• Like 1

Sandor LevaI remained in England until 1989 when he sold his business and returned to Hungary. He died there in 2009.

• Like 2

I was thinking of Neil Street as well, but saw he died at home in Australia. Had he just moved back or did he have a home in both the UK and Australia ?

How about Danish rider Arne Pander ?  Know he died in a nursing home in Kings Lynn.

Edited by HertsRacer
  • Like 1

Good shout. I was also thinking of Jan Steachmann and Sam Ermolenko, but not sure on whether they reside in the UK or not now

Teo Teodorowicz also made his home in this country after seeking asylum - sadly not for very long though.:sad:

• Like 1

Oh and another one who stayed, is Bruce Cribb. Only saw a post of his this morning about going back to NZ to do a tour of tracks racing his ice bike in the new year

13 hours ago, iris123 said:

Was that Marek Mroz?

Wasn't actually. Think it was an obscure rider, was a new one to me at least when I read about him

Rickard Hellsen.

15 hours ago, iris123 said:

Could this have been Max Rech who was Polish and rode for Fleetwood and St Austell in the early 1950's. I read somewhere that he settled in England after retiring from speedway.

• Like 1