British Speedway Forum
adz_mft

Mildenhall 2023

20 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

Something good is happening at Mildenhall with it regaining it's happy family feeling once again, thanks to all the hard wok everybody is putting in.
Customers are made to feel welcome, and the only other place that I've experienced that is the Isle of Wight, who have a wonderful set-up, that speedway in general could and should be learning from.

People moan about Mildenhall being a dangerous track, but then all tracks are dangerous, and I don't mean that literally, but wherever you race on a machine that are so highly tuned these days, with no brakes, then they're all dangerous from that point of view.

I agree that they do get a lot of riders falling/crashing etc; at Mildenhall, but nine times out of ten, it's the younger riders learning their trade that are falling/crashing, which is inevitable as this is a Development League club, not somewhere like Doyle, Bewley, Masters and so on race. 

Yesterday, I attended the meeting against Berwick, raced in front of a very health Bank Holiday crowd, and was equal in racing quality that I've seen at any level (I'm not talking GP's), and possibly the best meeting I've been lucky enough to witness at ANY level, for a couple of years now. 

So well done Mildenhall for all the hard work you are obviously putting, and well done Berwick, for coming and attacking the track, rather than being wary of it. Superb Meeting. 

Glad to hear it. There are a lot of people who've worked hard to keep Mildenhall alive and they deserve some praise and reward for their efforts.

• Like 2

Yes Mimmos very correct in his assessments on the current state of play at Mildenhall speedway.

Nice atmosphere and I get the impression the management are trying to be more professional than they have been in the past which makes the meeting experience better for the fans.

The Mildenhall track is only an issue when its grippy and some of the inexperienced riders can't handle it.

• Like 1

So no Mildenhall in the ndl or whatever it is next season… although they are under new ownership now I think and are hoping to run some open/challenge meetings during the year.

4 hours ago, bloom89 said:

So no Mildenhall in the ndl or whatever it is next season… although they are under new ownership now I think and are hoping to run some open/challenge meetings during the year.

Given the losses/extra funding to get a team to the tapes in 2023 and uncertainty about the quality of product for 2024 a year out is a wise move. Gain funding from hosting a few open meetings,  maybe gauge interest in a CL side for 2025? Things have needed to change at Mildenhall so no bad thing. 

• Like 1

Come back soon, Mildenhall. As a neutral, yours is one my most favourite venues to visit.
Yours is a solid promotion that would be a great loss to our sport if you don't return to league racing.

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Given the losses/extra funding to get a team to the tapes in 2023 and uncertainty about the quality of product for 2024 a year out is a wise move. Gain funding from hosting a few open meetings,  maybe gauge interest in a CL side for 2025? Things have needed to change at Mildenhall so no bad thing. 

I didn’t think you could be any more condescending but here you are  

Edited by TMW
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TMW said:

I didn’t think you could be any more condescending but here you are  

The irony that you decide to pop up and pick holes in probably the most positive post i have made about Mildenhall in years :D

• Haha 2

Very often, when a speedway promotion say 'we are taking a year out', it's the end. I can't see how speedway in the next 12 months, as a whole, is going to turn things around, for a promoter to say 'now is the time to run a team'. All very sad. Unfortunately, I said many years ago that speedway had to change and the costs were too high for those involved, but time after time (on here), I was told I was being negative. No, I was being realistic. The riders and the tuners have killed a sport, which at best, should have been, for many years, a semi-professional sport or even better, an amateur sport. Speedway will survive, but team/league racing will disappear in Britain, in my opinion.   

• Like 5

On 11/27/2023 at 8:47 AM, Ray Stadia said:

Very often, when a speedway promotion say 'we are taking a year out', it's the end. I can't see how speedway in the next 12 months, as a whole, is going to turn things around, for a promoter to say 'now is the time to run a team'. All very sad. Unfortunately, I said many years ago that speedway had to change and the costs were too high for those involved, but time after time (on here), I was told I was being negative. No, I was being realistic. The riders and the tuners have killed a sport, which at best, should have been, for many years, a semi-professional sport or even better, an amateur sport. Speedway will survive, but team/league racing will disappear in Britain, in my opinion.   

I agree with most of your comments except that some blame must rest with the BSPL who have effectively said no to Mildenhall running a few open meetings. Why anyone would want to work with a regime that tries to prevent you operating a business at any stadium and earning some income from the assets that they hold. It is largely the attitude that caused Kent so much grief and it was the last sort of pressure that Si Kellow needed given his poor state of health. You would hope that the governing body would have worked with Kent, but no not this bunch. You have to wonder who is really behind all this and then wonder whether they are proud of their actions. Two more tracks probably lost to the sport who join a long list and no one on the top table really cares as in each case they are sitting thinking i’m alright, why bother about anyone else. No wonder the IOW got out, it will not get any better. Still one positive for the BSPL, four less tracks to have to administer in 2024. 

• Like 4

On 11/30/2023 at 1:33 PM, Hawk127 said:

I agree with most of your comments except that some blame must rest with the BSPL who have effectively said no to Mildenhall running a few open meetings. Why anyone would want to work with a regime that tries to prevent you operating a business at any stadium and earning some income from the assets that they hold. It is largely the attitude that caused Kent so much grief and it was the last sort of pressure that Si Kellow needed given his poor state of health. You would hope that the governing body would have worked with Kent, but no not this bunch. You have to wonder who is really behind all this and then wonder whether they are proud of their actions. Two more tracks probably lost to the sport who join a long list and no one on the top table really cares as in each case they are sitting thinking i’m alright, why bother about anyone else. No wonder the IOW got out, it will not get any better. Still one positive for the BSPL, four less tracks to have to administer in 2024. 

I don't understand the BSPL's attitude towards the NL / Nora / Mildenhall / Kent either. I can only assume they are absolutely positive they know what's best for Speedway & if clubs don't toe the line, they are happy for them to disappear.

Certainly makes no sense to me, it's as if they are oblivious to the problems with Speedway in the UK & think everything is all peachy (that they won't miss Mildenhall & Kent)?

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I don't understand the BSPL's attitude towards the NL / Nora / Mildenhall / Kent either. I can only assume they are absolutely positive they know what's best for Speedway & if clubs don't toe the line, they are happy for them to disappear.

Certainly makes no sense to me, it's as if they are oblivious to the problems with Speedway in the UK & think everything is all peachy (that they won't miss Mildenhall & Kent)?

I only got back into live speedway when Kent moved to Iwade in 2022, prior to that I couldn't get to Sittingbourne due to the early start time. I am now faced with a shortest distance of 82 miles to get to the nearest track to me, Ipswich. I'm sure the M25 and A12 are lovely on a Monday/Thursday evening rush hour.

So having been able to go to live speedway after quite a long break I find myself without any to watch in person. I do subscribe to BSN, and will do so again, but I'm sure that there are plenty of other people who find themselves in the same boat as me.

Apologies to Mildenhall fans for hijacking your topic.