British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Garry1603

Kirkmanshulme Lane Stadium to be demolished

It has been reported in the Manchester Evening News that planning permission has been granted to build 247 homes on the site of the former Belle Vue speedway stadium. There is no date set for the demolition / build, but it looks like the end is in sight for Kirky Lane.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/historic-belle-vue-greyhound-stadium-17448332

A very sad day. The stadium is undoubtably in need of serious renovation but it kept the sport alive in Manchester when it looked to be lost. Without Kirky Lane, there wouldn't be a NSS.

Edited by Garry1603
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Startrax, who run the Stock Cars at Belle Vue (and also used to run Stoke) have had a very bad end to 2019 but have said that they have not even thought of trying to run cars at the NSS as there would be more problems for them they want. They are still expecting to be able to run for the first half of 2020 at Kirkmanshulme Lane and will be continuing their fight to force the supply of a new stadium or at the very least ground to build one on. 

As was proved with Wimbledon, they have an uphill fight but fight they certainly will.

Today there in an anti greyhound mentality saying the sport is cruel and should be stopped. There used to be 33 greyhound stadiums in London and now I think there is only that number in the whole of the UK. If the anti greyhound brigade succeed it will then move over to horse racing like it is happening in the USA

2 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

Today there in an anti greyhound mentality saying the sport is cruel and should be stopped. There used to be 33 greyhound stadiums in London and now I think there is only that number in the whole of the UK. If the anti greyhound brigade succeed it will then move over to horse racing like it is happening in the USA

Rightly so, although horses are treated much much better and much tightly regulated than Greyhound Racing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

Rightly so, although horses are treated much much better and much tightly regulated than Greyhound Racing. 

Do you have any inside knowledge of greyhoundracing and how dogs are treated? I've seen grown men crying over the loss of a dog and not because of the financial loss but the loss of a pet.

3 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

They think it was because of their protests Belle Vue is closing. These people won't be happy untill there is noihing left, speedway could be in their sights because rider get injured.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tyretrax said:

They think it was because of their protests Belle Vue is closing. These people won't be happy untill there is noihing left, speedway could be in their sights because rider get injured.

Isn’t it more that these protesters are into stopping cruelty to animals.  Like greyhounds get abandoned when their racing days are over, and horses get injured/killed on fences. That’s what I thought.  Anything else you suggest may be an exaggeration.

14 hours ago, keepturningleft said:

Please tell me the stock cars won't move to the NSS.

Wouldn't they need to use the infield for recovery etc. unlikely

It’s not the sport itself that is cruel but the weening out at pup and training stage that is contentious and has a poor history.

21 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

I agree. I don't know much about Greyhound racing but once the PC animal rights brigade eventually succeed in getting it eradicated in the UK they will move their attention to Horse Racing and that is when these crazed extremists will come undone. Horse racing in the USA is not the same as the rest of the World. In the US, horse racing is primarily a gambling business. You will notice all the racetracks are identical and it's more about the speed of the horse (more about this can be read in Frankie Dettori's autobiography). In the rest of the World racing is big big business worth billions of pounds. You will notice that it is highly influenced by rich arabs. Once these animal rights loons start targeting horse racing here and in Europe my guess is their ring leaders will "get a visit in the night" or go missing.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iainb said:

I can tell you 100% that NO WAY WILL STOCKCARS EVER RACE AT NSS. THAT'S A  FACT

14 minutes ago, pitstop84 said:

I can tell you 100% that NO WAY WILL STOCKCARS EVER RACE AT NSS. THAT'S A  FACT

In 1960 Ronnie Greene told a large group that included my father that there was no way Stock Cars would ever be allowed at Wimbledon and in September 1962 the Formula Two Stock Cars made their debut at Plough Lane with Stan Ingle winning the second Spedeworth World Final. Sadly it was the same day as that years Speedway World Final at Wembley so my parents took me to Wembley and we went to the Stock Cars at Wimbledon for the second meeting, the first time we had seen non-Control Board racing.

I would agree it is most unlikely but NEVER say NEVER! 

On 12/21/2019 at 4:12 AM, OveFundinFan said:

Isn’t it more that these protesters are into stopping cruelty to animals.  Like greyhounds get abandoned when their racing days are over, and horses get injured/killed on fences. That’s what I thought.  Anything else you suggest may be an exaggeration.

I know people who work very hard rehoming greyhounds when their racing days are over and some who for various reasons don't become racers. Some people swallow what the antis spout like dogs being euthanized using captive bolt guns and kennels having freezers for dead dogs, why would they want to keep them? I can assure you at licenced tracks, where the antis are targeting, dogs are humanley put to sleep by injection by a qualified vet. As far as freezers go, tracks do have a small freezer to hold deceased dog before being taken to university vet schools for student education or taken by the owner for cremation to have the ashes to keep or to be buried.

Edited by tyretrax

22 hours ago, iainb said:

Whilst I doubt very much you would ever see cars at the NSS, it not totallyvimposible as cars race around the football pitch at Cowdenbeath FC.