British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Garry1603

Kirkmanshulme Lane Stadium to be demolished

9 hours ago, tyretrax said:

Some people swalow what the antis spout like dogs being euthanized using captive bolt guns and kennels having freezers for dead dogs, why would they want to keep them?

Thank you for highlighting this despicable behaviour. I had never heard of these actions until you pointed them out. Here is some more reading for those who don't want to "swalow [sic] what the antis spout".

Greyhound killer to face tougher sentence

A builders' merchant who today admitted killing and burying thousands of former racing greyhounds on land near his home is to be sentenced at a crown court after magistrates said they could not impose a sufficiently severe penalty.

He was accused of slaughtering the animals using a bolt gun and disposing of the carcasses behind his home.

30 injured greyhounds put down at dog track

The statistics were provided by Liverpool University which carries out research into making the sport safer. It receives dogs from the stadium and remains of animals from owners for further study.

Officials told the M.E.N. that in the last 12 months, their scientists had received 33 dogs from the stadium – 31 of these were put to sleep because of injury and the two others put down because of aggressive behaviour.

Greyhound breeder offers slow dogs to be killed for research

The largest breeder of greyhounds in Britain is offering to sell healthy young dogs to be killed and dissected for research, an investigation has found.

Charles Pickering told an undercover reporter that his breeding programme continually throws up dozens of “fit and healthy” dogs that are “just a bit too slow for the tracks” and therefore a financial burden to him.

• Sad 3

Yes. Like you I have never really had a problem with greyhound racing nor really given it much thought, but this and the Oxford thread really has highlighted a big problem and I wonder how long it can all carry on

Edited by iris123

5 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Whilst I doubt very much you would ever see cars at the NSS, it not totallyvimposible as cars race around the football pitch at Cowdenbeath FC.

At Cowdenbeath they have a proper fence around the football pitch on the inside of the Racewall track. 

The two meetings held at the old Wembley had a barrier round the football pitch but at the second meeting an F1 car jumped the barrier and went end over end across the grass with the front bumper digging holes in the pitch, that was the end of cars at Wembley!

5 hours ago, Chris116 said:

At Cowdenbeath they have a proper fence around the football pitch on the inside of the Racewall track. 

The two meetings held at the old Wembley had a barrier round the football pitch but at the second meeting an F1 car jumped the barrier and went end over end across the grass with the front bumper digging holes in the pitch, that was the end of cars at Wembley!

I believe the fencing down the straights has now been removed, it's just massive tractor tyres protecting the pitch.

Never made it to Kirky Lane but another iconic stadium soon not to be.

56 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

I believe the fencing down the straights has now been removed, it's just massive tractor tyres protecting the pitch.

My last visit to the Racewall was in May 2003 so things could have well altered since then. I was assisting with the commentary and throughout the weekend Ray Gunn and his family made me feel very welcome supplying me with bacon rolls and tea. Tragically Ray was killed in the Saloon Stock Car Scottish Championship in what became the last race of the weekend. Ray is the only driver or rider I have seen killed at a meeting and that afternoon still haunts me to this day.

4 hours ago, keepturningleft said:

Every year at the Grand National, horses are killed for 'our entertainment'.

Not much difference between this and greyhounds in my view.

Agree.  In fact I think of the two 'sports' Horse Racing is far more cruel than Greyhound Racing. At least the dogs have a choice to run or not, although no doubt killed if they refuse,  but Horses don't. The Grand National is definitely not the sort of entertainment I would watch. Never have and never will. I hate it.

7 hours ago, Chris116 said:

My last visit to the Racewall was in May 2003 so things could have well altered since then. I was assisting with the commentary and throughout the weekend Ray Gunn and his family made me feel very welcome supplying me with bacon rolls and tea. Tragically Ray was killed in the Saloon Stock Car Scottish Championship in what became the last race of the weekend. Ray is the only driver or rider I have seen killed at a meeting and that afternoon still haunts me to this day.

There is a tribute to him in the main stand under the commentary box. Very sad day for the sport.

They removed the rope and wire inner fence a few years back, although dont recall seeing any car make it onto the pitch after its removal.

8 hours ago, Gemini said:

Agree.  In fact I think of the two 'sports' Horse Racing is far more cruel than Greyhound Racing. At least the dogs have a choice to run or not, although no doubt killed if they refuse,  but Horses don't. The Grand National is definitely not the sort of entertainment I would watch. Never have and never will. I hate it.

Are you saying horse racing trumps greyhounds 1,000 -6,000 dogs killed a year ? This is horrendous

Sort of like the battle of the serial killers !!!!

Edited by iris123

9 hours ago, Gemini said:

I agree that any animal should never be cruelly treated, however, if the sport of greyhound and horse racing disappeared, there would be no need to breed the animals.Therefore, the animals would not even be given the chance of life. Which is worse, given a chance or never be born at all, obviously assuming that any necessary end of life is humane. How do we know if 'normal' domestic dog owners are not being cruel to their pets. Soon after a puppy or kitten is acquired, invariably they are spayed/neutered. The most natural thing in any animal's instinct is to procreate, but what do we do, immediately put a stop to that, because it suits us as pet 'owners'. The relationship between man and animals is massive and using animals in sport, in my opinion, is not the main issue. 

3 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

I agree that any animal should never be cruelly treated, however, if the sport of greyhound and horse racing disappeared, there would be no need to breed the animals.Therefore, the animals would not even be given the chance of life. Which is worse, given a chance or never be born at all, obviously assuming that any necessary end of life is humane. How do we know if 'normal' domestic dog owners are not being cruel to their pets. Soon after a puppy or kitten is acquired, invariably they are spayed/neutered. The most natural thing in any animal's instinct is to procreate, but what do we do, immediately put a stop to that, because it suits us as pet 'owners'. The relationship between man and animals is massive and using animals in sport, in my opinion, is not the main issue. 

That has got to be one of the weirdest ideas I have ever heard. It is cruel not to breed and deny something(one) the chance of a life!!! So in your eyes someone with no kids is crueler than someone with one and those scroungers with about 12 kids and living on the dole are the kindest people on the planet ? :blink:

I really hope I am just confused here and got the wrong end of the stick

I've witnessed horse racing in the flesh, as it were, just the once but took in dog racing at Craven Park, Hull a few times.  It is the instinct of greyhounds and horses to run fast, they love it, you do hear stories of good and bad trainers and I absolutely detest animal cuelty of any kind.  But like anything, speedway included, you hear both the positives and extremely negative aspects of such 'animal sports' and the honest truth, as always, lies somewhere in the middle.  Though overall I'm not a fan of animal sports and in fact gave up fishing some 20 years ago....

• Confused 1

Just now, martinmauger said:

I've witnessed horse racing in the flesh, as it were, just the once but took in dog racing at Craven Park, Hull a few times.  It is the instinct of greyhounds and horses to run fast, they love it, you do hear stories of good and bad trainers and I absolutely detest animal cuelty of any kind.  But like anything, speedway included, you hear both the positives and extremely negative aspects of such 'animal sports' and the honest truth, as always, lies somewhere in the middle.  Though overall I'm not a fan of animal sports and in fact gave up fishing some 20 years ago....

How is it like anything ‘speedway included’ when talking about 1,000s of dogs being killed ? Tell me how many speedway riders are put down every year ? Even if it is hundreds that I don’t know about, that is way way less than the number of greyhounds by my reckoning 

• Haha 1

I don't get involved in on-line spats but to clarify I meant to say we hear good and bad aspects of anything, of any sport, situation, etc.  Obviously badly performing speedway riders aren't executed but if it's true that badly performing racing dogs and horses are then obviously it's terrible and shouldn't happen....