British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Garry1603

Kirkmanshulme Lane Stadium to be demolished

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

That has got to be one of the weirdest ideas I have ever heard. It is cruel not to breed and deny something(one) the chance of a life!!! So in your eyes someone with no kids is crueler than someone with one and those scroungers with about 12 kids and living on the dole are the kindest people on the planet ? :blink:

I really hope I am just confused here and got the wrong end of the stick

You have got the wrong end of the stick, (certainly my stick), as usual! I'm saying that those people, probably dog owners (mostly), who will bang the drum that greyhound racing and horse racing (those associated with it) are cruel, while they believe they are anything but cruel to their dogs. How does a dog owner know whether their dog or indeed cat, being forcibly  neutered/spayed, has a psychological effect on the animal? How would like your knackers or any other bits cut off (as we don't know if you are male or female)? Some owners leave their dogs 'home alone' when they go to work, for hours on end. The dogs get highly stressed, as the animal doesn't have much of a sense of time. Also, one hour to a dog is longer than it is for us. But of course greyhound racing and horse racing for the 'rent a protest' are easy pickings!         

• Like 1

Blimey all this talk of cruelty to animals, they will be wanting to ban bullfighting next!

• Haha 3

On 12/21/2019 at 6:26 PM, pitstop84 said:

I can tell you 100% that NO WAY WILL STOCKCARS EVER RACE AT NSS. THAT'S A  FACT

confident then

On 12/21/2019 at 6:26 PM, pitstop84 said:

I can tell you 100% that NO WAY WILL STOCKCARS EVER RACE AT NSS. THAT'S A  FACT

you may live to regret that one day

As I've posted before I don't really know much about dog racing so I can't comment about the animals welfare but what I will say if anyone who jumps on the animal rights bandwagon and claims that horse racing is cruel and barbaric are very naive and easily led or they have absolutely no knowledge of how the horses are trained and looked after. They are probably treated better than humans. Their stables are immaculate and are the equine equivalent of the Savoy with prices to match. Everyone is entitles to their opinion but what folk must understand is a thoroughbred racehorse is a trained athlete. They are ultra competitive. They are individuals and have their own temperament. They have a jockey on board to guide and encourage them but they are not forced to race. Surely you have seen a race where a horse has refused to start? A loose horse will continue running not because it is a stupid beast and it has been trained to do so. It will continue because it wants to beat the others (even though there's no jockey on board).  Unfortunately though horses do get fatally injured. It is horrible to witness and no racing fan enjoys seeing it. When it happens it is usually instant (broken neck), but if a horse incurs a leg break, etc, the care they receive is immediate and the the horse is "put to sleep" within minutes. It's horrible yes, but if a speedway rider suffered a fatal crash or a driver is killed in motor racing do we say their respective sports are inhumane and should be banned? Of cause not.

Someone posted on this subject that horses are killed every year in the Grand National. This is highly inaccurate. One unfortunately died this year but prior to that the last fatality in the race was 2012. 

• Like 4

Not sure you can take all these comments as facts or from experts. I guess if you say horses are forced to race and that is cruel, you can say pet dogs are forced to run and pick up sticks !!! It isn’t behavior you would see a wild dog or a wolf doing ...

• Like 1

Ray Stadia, on your point of "rent a protest" At Shawfield ther is usually about a dozen protesters with dogs, one night there was twenty odds. low and behold aTV news crew turned up to interview them. We have had to supply water for the dogs on a very hot summer night, so much for caring for the dogs. I was in a shop and a woman with a retired hound, she was a member of Greyhound Awareness, was telling a gob smacked assistant how a dog with one eye had run into the track wall and was hit on the head with a hammer. I assured the assistant that it was completely untrue. In fact we did have dogs who were blind in one eye and raced well.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

. In fact we did have dogs who were blind in one eye and raced well.

Also had a speedway rider at Workington in the mid 70's like this, Steve Watson was his name

15 hours ago, martinmauger said:

I don't get involved in on-line spats but to clarify I meant to say we hear good and bad aspects of anything, of any sport, situation, etc.  Obviously badly performing speedway riders aren't executed but if it's true that badly performing racing dogs and horses are then obviously it's terrible and shouldn't happen....

25 years ago greyhounds we’re put down frequently . now it’s very rare a greyhound would be put to sleep . A lot of this propoganda bu11 rubbish about greyhounds comes from nw caged  Rita James her name and lets just say she’s a unsavoury person who don’t give a monkeys what lies she tells as long as she keeps getting donations in pot 

• Like 2

That is why on my first post to the figure of a 1,000 dogs being killed etc I asked if it was the whole story on the Oxford thread. Of course people just reading a news article are going to take it as the truth and be horrified 

• Like 1

Some are treated much better than others. Either way both sports are completely bent. Fact.

From my quick browsing I think that is the reason greyhounds are banned in the US, rather than cruelty. At least in some States . Don’t quote me on that though