British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Garry1603

Kirkmanshulme Lane Stadium to be demolished

On 12/24/2019 at 3:37 PM, lucifer sam said:

Iris, don't believe everything you read in the papers. Especially when it comes from the animal rights brigade.

I've been a part-owner of a greyhound, which was treated very well by the trainer and then looked after he retired by one of the other families involved. Plus there's a whole Greyhound Trust in the UK which doesn't exist in e.g. Ireland. 

You don't need to read "the papers".

The Greyhound Board of Great Britain release their own report stating 1,000 dogs died in a single year, including 242 put down trackside and 324 which were put down because they could not be rehomed. This is only dogs which "retire" it doesn't include those which were being trained but were not considered suitable.

A report compiled for the Irish Greyhound Board concluded that on average 5.987 dogs were culled (slide 26) each year as they "failed to produce qualifying times" (2,673); "failure to produce desired entry level times" (1,989) and an "unacceptable decline in performance" (1,326).

• Sad 2

Changing my mind now ~ Horse Racing isn't worse than Greyhound Racing. Sadly they are both as bad as each other and of course at the root of it all is humans as usual so they can indulge in betting. 

• Like 2

On 12/20/2019 at 6:49 PM, keepturningleft said:

Please tell me the stock cars won't move to the NSS.

Given the massive losses incurred by the NSS, I would have thought having the stox there for the extra revenue would be a no brainer?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rocket87 said:

Given the massive losses incurred by the NSS, I would have thought having the stox there for the extra revenue would be a no brainer?

I don't want stock cars at the NSS but I am not the one meeting the losses that it is making. For that reason,  any new revenue stream must be considered.

For what its worth I don't think speedway at Scunthorpe has suffered unduly following the introduction of stock cars (I don't think I have ever read a report that suggests it has either) probably due to some considerable care about the timing and number of stock meetings.

When Buster came to Lynn in 1992 we had a few problems with the track with stocks and speedway cohabiting but once he acquired the right equipment they were  ironed out quite quickly. It’s all about having the right tools to smooth it off again although with the NSS having such sweeping bends you wouldn’t imagine the cars would damage the base of the track too much anyway, the tightness of Kirky Lane was much of the problem there. As others have said it’s unlikely to happen due to the 4G pitch but if stocks had to be introduced to secure the future of the stadium there is no reason speedway should suffer. 

One of the reasons I say there will not be stock's is parking the size of the wagons they use? There's not enough parking for speedway meetings,  then there's the pitch in centre stock's do so much damage to grass and kerbs. 

46 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

When Buster came to Lynn in 1992 we had a few problems with the track with stocks and speedway cohabiting but once he acquired the right equipment they were  ironed out quite quickly. It’s all about having the right tools to smooth it off again although with the NSS having such sweeping bends you wouldn’t imagine the cars would damage the base of the track too much anyway, the tightness of Kirky Lane was much of the problem there. As others have said it’s unlikely to happen due to the 4G pitch but if stocks had to be introduced to secure the future of the stadium there is no reason speedway should suffer. 

Cowley had more than a few problems when Stocks/Banger Racing was introduced in 1973/74. The track and safety fence was left in a disgraceful state and the speedway promotion did threaten to pull the plug on one occasion I recall.

I often read comments on here with people moaning about speedway sharing stadiums with stock car & greyhound racing .

Yet how are these stadiums supposed to make money and stay open ?    

1 speedway meeting a week , 6 months a year is not a lot of income with the small crowds that now attend.  

Stock Car & Greyhound events can run during summer & winter , and the weather is rarely bad enough to cancel a meeting ( unlike speedway ) 

All that's needed when sharing with Stock Cars is some decent track maintenance and some careful planning of fixtures

If you don't like Greyhounds or Stocks at your local speedway , that's fine , but don't moan when it closes down for financial reasons

1 minute ago, djr said:

I often read comments on here with people moaning about speedway sharing stadiums with stock car & greyhound racing .

Yet how are these stadiums supposed to make money and stay open ?    

1 speedway meeting a week , 6 months a year is not a lot of income with the small crowds that now attend.  

Stock Car & Greyhound events can run during summer & winter , and the weather is rarely bad enough to cancel a meeting ( unlike speedway ) 

All that's needed when sharing with Stock Cars is some decent track maintenance and some careful planning of fixtures

If you don't like Greyhounds or Stocks at your local speedway , that's fine , but don't moan when it closes down for financial reasons

You also need a completely different fence for stock cars. Kirky Lane used heavy duty chains, Coventry had Armco barriers, Kings Lynn has a solid steel fence. I don’t know what Sheffield and Scunthorpe use.
The centre “green” at both Coventry and Kings Lynn was concreted over to allow the stocks to drive on then without damage. Kirky Lane was just a muddy mess. 
One of the “failures” (in my opinion) of the NSS is the lack of success in turning what is the best Speedway stadium in the UK into a multi-purpose venue. Look at what Somerset have achieved with turning their place into a busy function hub. Weddings, birthdays, even (though maybe now regretted) a venue for a Conservative Party rally. Maybe it’s the difference between one venue being run by its owners, the other by employees. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

.....Look at what Somerset have achieved with turning their place into a busy function hub.... a venue for a Conservative Party rally.

Sorry Wee Eck, to find fun in what was a very sensible post. Call it my warped sense of humour. :t:

But a political rally at a speedway stadium seems eminently appropriate as politicians are very good at going round in circles.  :P

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Sorry Wee Eck, to find fun in what was a very sensible post. Call it my warped sense of humour. :t:

But a political rally at a speedway stadium seems eminently appropriate as politicians are very good at going round in circles.  :P

Biggest problem Somerset has are restrictions within their planning consent. Otherwise there would/could be a lot more going on @ the Oaktree.

P.S. I think the visit of Borris to the OTA was a feather in the cap to all concerned. Thank God it wasn't Corbyn & Abbott with her 2 left shoes!

• Haha 1

When chatting to a promoter once he told me that of the requirement of x number of acres for a speedway stadium half would be taken by the car park, more if stock cars were operated.  Same promoter told me that when stox run at Sheffield an armco barrier is erected in front of the speedway safety fence and there are, or were, many holes around the outside of the track which are dug out for the armco support posts.  At Scunny the armco barrier is behind the speedway fence....

2 hours ago, False dawn said:

Political rally at a speedway track !!! In fact that guy Adolf something or other held a rally at the old Hamburg dirt track way back in the 1930s !!!! And we all know what happened after

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

P.S. I think the visit of Borris to the OTA was a feather in the cap to all concerned.

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

In fact that guy Adolf something or other held a rally at the old Hamburg dirt track way back in the 1930s !!!! 

As they used to say in exam papers back in my day....

"Compare and discuss" :blink:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, False dawn said:

As they used to say in exam papers back in my day....

"Compare and discuss" :blink:

The important thing is the track closed and I have even seen it stated that the nazis banned speedway, though never seen proof of that. Let’s hope Boris doesn’t go down that road !!!