British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Garry1603

Kirkmanshulme Lane Stadium to be demolished

On 12/27/2019 at 4:32 PM, Rocket87 said:

Given the massive losses incurred by the NSS, I would have thought having the stox there for the extra revenue would be a no brainer?

concentrate on wolves financial worries !! ours are fine owners have just signed a new long term lease !!

5 hours ago, martinmauger said:

When chatting to a promoter once he told me that of the requirement of x number of acres for a speedway stadium half would be taken by the car park, more if stock cars were operated.  Same promoter told me that when stox run at Sheffield an armco barrier is erected in front of the speedway safety fence and there are, or were, many holes around the outside of the track which are dug out for the armco support posts.  At Scunny the armco barrier is behind the speedway fence....

It's a post and wire fence at Sheffield and it gets put up and taken back down on race days. It's a fair old feat tbh.

Wish that had been the case at Coventry. Horrible fence blocking a good view of Speedway, especially when the sun was shining

• Like 2

5 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

It's a post and wire fence at Sheffield and it gets put up and taken back down on race days. It's a fair old feat tbh.

I can easily believe it is....

On 12/28/2019 at 12:15 PM, Wee Eck said:

You also need a completely different fence for stock cars. Kirky Lane used heavy duty chains, Coventry had Armco barriers, Kings Lynn has a solid steel fence. I don’t know what Sheffield and Scunthorpe use.
The centre “green” at both Coventry and Kings Lynn was concreted over to allow the stocks to drive on then without damage. Kirky Lane was just a muddy mess. 
One of the “failures” (in my opinion) of the NSS is the lack of success in turning what is the best Speedway stadium in the UK into a multi-purpose venue. Look at what Somerset have achieved with turning their place into a busy function hub. Weddings, birthdays, even (though maybe now regretted) a venue for a Conservative Party rally. Maybe it’s the difference between one venue being run by its owners, the other by employees. 

The centres at Coventry and Kings Lynn were concreted to allow other events such as Karting. Had nothing to do with other users of the venues, just ways of looking to increase revenue.

35 minutes ago, ovalfan said:

The centres at Coventry and Kings Lynn were concreted to allow other events such as Karting. Had nothing to do with other users of the venues, just ways of looking to increase revenue.

As far as Brandon is concerned, I think you're right. We had stox there forever and the centre green for a lot of years really was green i.e real grass. I don't remember the stox causing excessive damage. 

Edited by False dawn