British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Garry1603

Kirkmanshulme Lane Stadium to be demolished

3 hours ago, Hodgy said:

Some are treated much better than others. Either way both sports are completely bent. Fact.

The truth is, probably not many sports aren't bent, one way or another! 

19 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

As I've posted before I don't really know much about dog racing so I can't comment about the animals welfare but what I will say if anyone who jumps on the animal rights bandwagon and claims that horse racing is cruel and barbaric are very naive and easily led or they have absolutely no knowledge of how the horses are trained and looked after. They are probably treated better than humans. Their stables are immaculate and are the equine equivalent of the Savoy with prices to match. Everyone is entitles to their opinion but what folk must understand is a thoroughbred racehorse is a trained athlete. They are ultra competitive. They are individuals and have their own temperament. They have a jockey on board to guide and encourage them but they are not forced to race. Surely you have seen a race where a horse has refused to start? A loose horse will continue running not because it is a stupid beast and it has been trained to do so. It will continue because it wants to beat the others (even though there's no jockey on board).  Unfortunately though horses do get fatally injured. It is horrible to witness and no racing fan enjoys seeing it. When it happens it is usually instant (broken neck), but if a horse incurs a leg break, etc, the care they receive is immediate and the the horse is "put to sleep" within minutes. It's horrible yes, but if a speedway rider suffered a fatal crash or a driver is killed in motor racing do we say their respective sports are inhumane and should be banned? Of cause not.

Someone posted on this subject that horses are killed every year in the Grand National. This is highly inaccurate. One unfortunately died this year but prior to that the last fatality in the race was 2012. 

Well said.

The animal rights brigade seem determined that all animals should not be allowed to enjoy themselves.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iris123 said:

That is why on my first post to the figure of a 1,000 dogs being killed etc I asked if it was the whole story on the Oxford thread. Of course people just reading a news article are going to take it as the truth and be horrified 

Iris, don't believe everything you read in the papers. Especially when it comes from the animal rights brigade.

I've been a part-owner of a greyhound, which was treated very well by the trainer and then looked after he retired by one of the other families involved. Plus there's a whole Greyhound Trust in the UK which doesn't exist in e.g. Ireland. 

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

How does a dog owner know whether their dog or indeed cat, being forcibly  neutered/spayed, has a psychological effect on the animal? How would like your knackers or any other bits cut off (as we don't know if you are male or female)?

Might be a good idea with some human males. Regarding dogs and cats though are you seriously suggesting they shouldn't be neutered? A cat can have 3 litters a year for probably 15 years so if none of them were neutered either the problem of feral and homeless cats doesn't even bear thinking about.  Rescue centres are already over flowing with unwanted animals. I have always had female dogs and they have been speyed at 6 months and I can't say I have ever noticed any psychological effect, whatever that means. 

lucifer sam............

Well said. The animal rights brigade seem determined that all animals should not be allowed to enjoy themselves.

I'm sure the Horses enjoy being whipped towards the end of a race when they are almost exhausted.  So no Horses have died during the Grand National since 2012 (apart from 1 this year) but there have certainly been deaths at Cheltenham ~ 10 last year ~ so it's just as bad.  I'm no animal rights campaigner but hate any form of cruelty. 

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, hans fan said:

25 years ago greyhounds we’re put down frequently . now it’s very rare a greyhound would be put to sleep . A lot of this propoganda bu11 rubbish about greyhounds comes from nw caged  Rita James her name and lets just say she’s a unsavoury person who don’t give a monkeys what lies she tells as long as she keeps getting donations in pot 

You are very misguided

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, hans fan said:

25 years ago greyhounds we’re put down frequently . now it’s very rare a greyhound would be put to sleep . A lot of this propoganda bu11 rubbish about greyhounds comes from nw caged  Rita James her name and lets just say she’s a unsavoury person who don’t give a monkeys what lies she tells as long as she keeps getting donations in pot 

Is she even a registered charity?

Back on to the topic. 

It’s easy to be down on Kirkmanshulme Lane but, we should not forget that it was the original site of the Belle Vue Aces when it opened in July 1928 and, had it not been there when Hyde Road closed down, Speedway might have been lost to Manchester for good. 

My first visit there must have been 2003 or 2004 when I was first involved with Glasgow. At that point, I went to few away tracks so my “standard” for speedway stadia was Glasgow Ashfield, Edinburgh at Armadale and Workington. All “serviceable” rather than comfortable. After a rain off at Hull, I went to Kirky Lane with one of the Glasgow riders and was knocked out by what I saw - a fully enclosed glass fronted stand with plush seats indoors. I thought it was properly luxurious. 

When Chris Morton, David Gordon and I joined forces at the end of 2006 to buy Tony Mole out of BV, I couldn’t wait to be part of the operation. It was only when you saw it close up, you realised how dilapidated it had become, how poor the viewing was on the terracing, and what a mess was made to the track by the stock cars. 

We were contracted to let them race there in exchange for them making a contribution towards track repairs. My recollection was the payment was around £1600 but it cost us more than that to effect repairs. We had a decent relationship with the stock car promoter - well, some of us did - but the cars, especially the F2s, were so powerful, they cut through to the track base. 

But that is all in the past. I will be sorry to see the old stadium go, inevitable though it was as soon as speedway moved out. It’s on prime development land after all. People talk in hushed tones about Hyde Road, and so they should, with Speedway being ridden there continuously for nearly 60 years. But Kirky Lane did the next 29 or 30 years, so it was a little more than just passing through. I’ll miss it when it’s gone and hope that, rather than departing the earth completely, some of its soul heads down the road to the somewhat austere (imo) NSS. (I’ll probably get pelters for saying that :D)

• Like 3

On 12/22/2019 at 6:51 PM, steve roberts said:

Never made it to Kirky Lane but another iconic stadium soon not to be.

In what way is it iconic? It's hardly Wembley, just a run-of-the-mill small stadium well past its best.

3 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

In what way is it iconic? It's hardly Wembley, just a run-of-the-mill small stadium well past its best.

As Gordon's previous post highlighted it was the original home of 'The Aces" and therefore of historical relevance however I would agree that doesn't hold any water as many stadiums of historical importance have been lost down the years (Wimbledon and White City to quote just two of many) for differing reasons.

Still wish I had seen some action at the original home of Belle Vue...a name synonymous around the world within the speedway fraternity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gemini said:

Might be a good idea with some human males. Regarding dogs and cats though are you seriously suggesting they shouldn't be neutered? A cat can have 3 litters a year for probably 15 years so if none of them were neutered either the problem of feral and homeless cats doesn't even bear thinking about.  Rescue centres are already over flowing with unwanted animals. I have always had female dogs and they have been speyed at 6 months and I can't say I have ever noticed any psychological effect, whatever that means. 

With respect, how would you know what psychological effect being spayed/neutered has on an animal? My mum had many female dogs, all un-spayed. She just ensured they kept away from males when on heat. Simples! I think it would have an effect on me, as a male! And after all, many dog owners claim dogs are more important than humans! 

I've always had Border Collies and all they are interested in is having a loving home and a walk every day, preferably which involves a ball. If your mum's dogs have never had any problems with Pyometra she has been very lucky as it is common in unspeyed older bitches. 

15 hours ago, Gemini said:

I've always had Border Collies and all they are interested in is having a loving home and a walk every day, preferably which involves a ball. If your mum's dogs have never had any problems with Pyometra she has been very lucky as it is common in unspeyed older bitches. 

Bit of a tail for Christmas (s'ok a happy-ish ending with some speedway thrown in).  We also had a collie, totally black from head to foot, obtained from a local lowlife who proudly proclaimed the dog was 'too much trouble' for him and was to be soon despatched with a spade.  We couldn't let that happen so took her in, had her signed over to us and she lived with our other 3 dogs (lab look-a-likes mongrels, all spayed bitches).  Her first 3-4 years with us could be quite heart-breaking as she spent 90% of her time in 'shut down' or 'stand-by mode' and wouldn't join in with the other dogs, so we let her be.  Then one day she came out her shell and you couldn't meet a more gentle, loyal, loving dog - the kind you would introduce to people who are scared of dogs, everyone remarked how happy she was.  She lived to be 15, never suffered, and like our other dogs who are no longer with us but lived to be 16-17, she died of old age and kindness and we console ourselves that we gave her 11 years of happiness she otherwise would not have (no sugar, Sherlock).  Yeah collies defo like long walks, the longer the better, ideally accompanied by a  ball.

Sorry to 'bring the forum down' a little but to turn things around: we since acquired a sprocker spaniel (springer / cocker cross).  Nutshell: spaniels never, ever get bored or tired.  Ever.  I don't think I've even seen ours sleep.  If you feel at all down - consider a spaniel, but get it trained, or train it yourself and be prepared for it to be 100% full-on, 24/7.  Always.

Back on track; Kirky Lane obviously wasn't ideal but kept the Aces in business between losing Hyde Rd (heck of a circuit / stadium) and acquiring the NSS (destined to Hyde Rd 2, or too soon ?).  Stock cars can being in invaluable income but I don't see them racing at the NSS due possible damage to the expensive pitches but they don't necessarily need to destroy a shale speedway track.  I was suprised that Scunny didn't get seriously ripped up and rutted by stox, I'm told this mostly happens when cars lose a tyre or wheel or roll over, but at Scunny it is probably also due to the speedway promotion running stock cars and prepping the track for both....

• Like 2

Pre stock cars , the track was producing good racing.... different to Hyde road but never the less produced some good Speedway

The track went down hill once stock cars arrived due to the damage done and often insufficient time/ effort to put it right

When Colin Meredith was in charge of the track we went back to good track maintanence and racing

I have very fond memories of watching the Aces at the dog track apart from the Iffy period when the track was damaged due to Stock cars

Edited by Gunner85

2 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Bit of a tail for Christmas (s'ok a happy-ish ending with some speedway thrown in).  We also had a collie, totally black from head to foot, obtained from a local lowlife who proudly proclaimed the dog was 'too much trouble' for him and was to be soon despatched with a spade.  We couldn't let that happen so took her in, had her signed over to us and she lived with our other 3 dogs (lab look-a-likes mongrels, all spayed bitches).  Her first 3-4 years with us could be quite heart-breaking as she spent 90% of her time in 'shut down' or 'stand-by mode' and wouldn't join in with the other dogs, so we let her be.  Then one day she came out her shell and you couldn't meet a more gentle, loyal, loving dog - the kind you would introduce to people who are scared of dogs, everyone remarked how happy she was.  She lived to be 15, never suffered, and like our other dogs who are no longer with us but lived to be 16-17, she died of old age and kindness and we console ourselves that we gave her 11 years of happiness she otherwise would not have (no sugar, Sherlock).  Yeah collies defo like long walks, the longer the better, ideally accompanied by a  ball.

What a lovely story. Thanks for sharing ~ made me smile. I'm feeling down at the moment as I've just had to have our oldest one put to sleep after being on an emotional roller coaster for the past 16 months due to Molly having Congestive Heart Failure.  She was 14. Still have Lucy who will be 10 in January and she is well  known at Coventry, Peterborough and Leicester Speedway. I know what you mean about Spaniels because I've always thought they are much more manic than Collies. When I was looking for a Collie pup in 2010,  after a few weeks I saw an advert for Springer/Collie pups and I thought no thanks I'll wait a bit longer. lol.  Lucy is very laid back, always goes to sleep at Speedway and not at all interested in a ball so I'm glad I waited.

As it was Belle Vue's home track for nearly a third of it's history, it's still a sad day for the club. 

I don't think any long term fans will be as 'misty eyed' about it as they are about Hyde Road, but it's much more than a footnote to the club's history. 

• Like 2