British Speedway Forum
tyretrax

Dougie Templeton.

Former Glasgow, Edinburgh and Berwick stalwart Dougie Templeton has sadly passed away. R.I.P. Dougie

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Very sad to hear this. I met Dougie a few times, a lovely man in my experience.

My condolences to his family and friends.

R.I.P. + Dougie. 

• Like 2

Dougie Templeton was arguably Berwick`s best rider when I first started to go to speedway, sad day indeed.

Remember Doug during his days at Berwick.

May he RIP

Always loved the Templeton brothers, even though their hey-day was past by the time I really got into speedway. Tough as old boots

RIP

Edited by iris123

It was a shame that Doug was in his prime, age-wise when Scottish speedway was in the doldrums, late 1950s. If he had been riding regularly he would have reached even greater heights but with the farm he could not reasonably move south of the border. He was I think 30 when the Monarchs reformed in 1960 without a great deal of top-flight experience. Nevertheless a great rider and a true gent. I met him at a VSRA dinner and a thoroughly nice man. My condolences to his family. Is Margaret still with us??

• Like 1

Hard bugger on the track in the 60's when riding for the Monarchs against the Diamonds. Always entertaining, and always talked about after every meeting. B)

RIP Dougie.

NB. Actually he once rode for the Diamonds. Any guesses when ?

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 3

Very sad news, great rider and captain for Monarchs in the early sixties ,hard as nails and took no prisoners on the track.Served Berwick very well in his latter years.A gentleman to talk too.R.I.P.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Hard bugger on the track in the 60's when riding for the Monarchs against the Diamonds. Always entertaining, and always talked about after every meeting. B)

RIP Dougie.

According to this Speedway History site, he doesn't appear to have ridden for Newcastle.

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/2855/doug-templeton

(disclaimer:- I don't know who runs the site, so I can't verify the accuracy of the information contained with-in the website, but it does seam to be a good reference source.)

1 hour ago, pvm said:

According to this Speedway History site, he doesn't appear to have ridden for Newcastle.

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/2855/doug-templeton

(disclaimer:- I don't know who runs the site, so I can't verify the accuracy of the information contained with-in the website, but it does seam to be a good reference source.)

That only goes back to /65 he rode in the 50’s and early 60’s.

19 hours ago, Tsunami said:

RIP Dougie.

Don’t think it was Newcastle though!.Unless a guest.

Edited by Fromafar

Great servant to speedway particularly the Northern tracks. Was well into his 40's when he finally packed up in the mid to late 70's I believe?

Like others said if it weren't for the downturn in speedway North of the Border during those fallow years of the late 50's and running the farm he and his brother could of gone further and maybe made a World final or two!

Nice tribute by Mike Hunter to Doug in Edinburgh Evening News.Definitely one of the “greats” of Scottish speedway.

• Like 1