British Speedway Forum
tyretrax

Dougie Templeton.

12 minutes ago, Diamondlil said:

22nd May 1961 scored 7pts Willie also rode in the team

Correct. He rode as a guest with Willie against I think Wolverhampton in our first meeting in our opening season in 1961. 40 -38 defeat I think.

I am sorry to learn of the passing of Doug Templeton. He and his brother Willie were fine servant to all of their clubs and to speedway in general. Doug was one of the many riders who was "made" by the launch of the Provincial League in 1960. Prior to that, he was confined mainly to second halves at Glasgow, but with the extra rides he got in the PL he quickly developed into one of the best riders in the league. Doug was always the better rider of the brothers. He was hard and uncompromising on the track, but very affable off it and always connected well with supporters - and even though he was regarded as one of speedways hard men, he could take it as well as dish it out, and this was why he was held in such respect by other riders and the fans.

My condolences to his family and close friends on their loss. May he rest in the peace of the Lord.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Correct. He rode as a guest with Willie against I think Wolverhampton in our first meeting in our opening season in 1961. 40 -38 defeat I think.

48-30 win in a challenge match with three Edinburgh riders as guests. As well as Willie Dick Campbell also guested. It then took them ten weeks to win another meeting when they beat Wolverhampton again 53-25.

Edited by JoeW
additional info

Am I right to remember that both the Templetons were uncles of Jim & Bill MacMillan?

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

48-30 win in a challenge match with three Edinburgh riders as guests. As well as Willie Dick Campbell also guested. It then took them ten weeks to win another meeting when they beat Wolverhampton again 53-25.

Many thanks for you update Joe much appreciated. Yes we really struggled at the start with, Don Wilkinson was our top rider when he had done very little before that. He rose to the challenge and did in fact become a decent rider and captain. Due to the rise in the number of new clubs in 1960 and 61 in the new Provincial League, we struggled to get anybody of decent quality, and had to rely on riders like  Gordie Mitchell, Jonny Green, before drawing on the London based riders like Pete Sampson, Pat Flanaghan, and of course my favourite rider the Late Gil Goldfinch. The later 2 used to travel up by train on the Monday and stay over night before returning home on the Tuesday. Happy days for me as a 19 year old getting my own Newcastle team to follow, following on from my first visit in 1949 as a 6 year old.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Am I right to remember that both the Templetons were uncles of Jim & Bill MacMillan?

Yes, I think they were Steve. Saw them start in the 60's when their uncles were riding for the Monarchs.  

• Like 1

Sad to hear this. Doug was a major rider in the PL which remains easily my all time favourite league. So many huge personalities who seemed to appreciate the opportunity of riding after the near total demise of Speedway in this country. An all in it together time. Very different from the mid 80’s onwards when Speedway became very much a “me” environment by all concerned. 

RIP Doug. 

• Like 2

On 12/24/2019 at 11:56 AM, steve roberts said:

Yes they were.:t:

• Like 1