British Speedway Forum
False dawn

Leicester NDL 2020

16 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Serious point......A well informed analysis. Your knowledge of youth racing is impressive.

Slightly less than serious point..... Perhaps we should stop all this short term year-on-year planning that drives all us loyal fans mad and look a bit more long term. I'm sure we can find a suitable encouragement to our brightest and best to institute a breeding programme. Then 15 years (and 9 months) from now, we'll have the best young riders in the world. 

may be a solution  is Northern DL e.g having 500cc and 250 / 125 cc races so a "Development Team" can include riders of different ages / different bike Class all racing under a "Development Team banner" so creating a conveyor belt over 3-5 years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phillipsr said:

Could just be that he [Danyon Hume] isn't good enough for CL.. no disgrace in that but he is what he is 

An NDL average of 9.09 would suggest otherwise. I know it's a big step up to the Championship but the maths indicate a CL average of around 3.5 should be achievable.

20 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

Could just be that he isn't good enough for CL.. no disgrace in that but he is what he is 

Danyon can be guilty of over riding . Fantastic to watch but very frustrating at times with the amount of points dropped from comfortable scoring positions. Its the way he rides 100% for sure . 

23 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Danyon can be guilty of over riding . Fantastic to watch but very frustrating at times with the amount of points dropped from comfortable scoring positions. Its the way he rides 100% for sure . 

Think he has changed a his riding style this year There was no over riding and his racing had greatly improved  having watched him in nearly every nl match this year  him and Ellis perks were pretty unstoppable ther was no daft dive bombing  wreck less passing he used his head more than the throttle think he deserves a spot   

Edited by mac101
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, mac101 said:

Think he has changed a his riding style this year There was no over riding and his racing had greatly improved this year no daft dive bombing  wreck less passing used his head more he deserves a spot   

Comments: Stopped. Hume loses control on Bend 3 Lap 1, takes Ellis out and both riders come down. Hume excluded. Ellis unfit for the re-run and Shanes replaces him.
Re-Run: From The Gate.

Comments: Hume, in second, with Ayres at the back when Hume loses it on Bend 2 Lap 3, goes into the fence and Ayres goes into his bike and he too comes down. Both up and OK. Hume excluded. Race Awarded.

These were the comments taken from speedway updates from the last home meeting he was involved with at Birmingham in 2020.From memory these comments are accurate.

Having watched him alot over the past 3 seasons in MY opinion nothing has changed with his riding at all. Maybe it was a case at Birmingham last year that he was to eager to impress. 

9 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Woodward is definitely a surprise signing, not even the best MSDL rider available on a 3.00 so either right place right time or inside links i suspect, stating 3 practices at Leicester hardly inspires either but it is nice that at least one rider has been promoted despite the best attempts to prevent with the return to the 3.00 rule.

Not sure how the 3.00 rule stops riders stepping up? There's always been newcomers to the league when there was a 3.00 minimum!

5 hours ago, mac101 said:

Think he has changed a his riding style this year There was no over riding and his racing had greatly improved  having watched him in nearly every nl match this year  him and Ellis perks were pretty unstoppable ther was no daft dive bombing  wreck less passing he used his head more than the throttle think he deserves a spot   

Totally agree Mac you saw more of him  than me but what i saw live and on DVD he certainly has changed racing style  wise.In the Leicester v Belle Vue DVD that i saw the track was very rough and bumpy yet Hume never over rode used his head and the results show that by no injuries.As for the Adam incident yes that was a grave error but what rider does not do that in there career and i have seen plenty of Adam over the years and he has had his get  offs but you learn from that and move on.Even  the great Jason Doyle makes mistakes that is racing split decision making judgements.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, False dawn said:

An NDL average of 9.09 would suggest otherwise. I know it's a big step up to the Championship but the maths indicate a CL average of around 3.5 should be achievable.

He was averaging about 5.70 at home for Ipswich before his  bad smash at Poole ( engine seized) .And because  he fared pretty well with limited experience that has come back to hurt him  in the last two season's because of his average.

Edited by Sidney the robin

16 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

He was averaging about 5.70 at home for Ipswich before his  bad smash at Poole ( engine seized) .And because  he fared pretty well with limited experience that has comeback to hurt him  the last two season's because of his average.

So if he were to land a Championship team place, what average would apply?

edit: The latest I can find is 3.27

Edited by False dawn

42 minutes ago, False dawn said:

So if he were to land a Championship team place, what average would apply?

edit: The latest I can find is 3.27

Will also get his Brit nl reduction 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Not sure how the 3.00 rule stops riders stepping up? There's always been newcomers to the league when there was a 3.00 minimum!

There was and will be again however last year there was a glut of newcomers due to the 2.00 ruling. Now it has been returned to 3.00 the number of newcomers has dropped. Largely because there are several riders on 2.xx that are more appealing despite not being able to achieve an average of over 3 from last season.

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

last year there was a glut of newcomers due to the 2.00 ruling. Now it has been returned to 3.00 the number of newcomers has dropped.

That's nonsense.   Last year there was a 2.00 rule, but the points limit was slashed right down to 36.00

This year the minimum is 3.00 as normal, and another weakening of the league has seen the points limit slashed down to 39.00   (last year's 36.00 with a 2.00 rule, was the equivalent of 38.00 with the 3.00 rule - So very similar). 

The actual reason there was a glut of newcomers last year is purely due to timing.  You need to follow the Youth Series.  You'd then see that last year we had theThompson twins, Palin, McGurk, Ablitt, Mulford, Kelly etc all turning 15 (plus Gilkes who delayed his start until he was 16).

This year there is a lack of youngsters turning 15.  Probably Sam Hagon is the only one who is ready.

Even if you made the 2020 points limit 37.00 with a 2.00 limit (the same as 39.00 with a 3.00 limit) you couldn't make 15-year-olds magically appear.   They're just not there this year.

7 hours ago, screm said:

Leicester announce signing of Joe Lawlor.

With Lawlor signing I make it 17.25ish  is left to cover 3 riders. If Hume re-signs it will only leave 7.47ish for the remaining 2. 

Edited by Barrow Boy 2

36 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

That's nonsense.   Last year there was a 2.00 rule, but the points limit was slashed right down to 36.00

This year the minimum is 3.00 as normal, and another weakening of the league has seen the points limit slashed down to 39.00   (last year's 36.00 with a 2.00 rule, was the equivalent of 38.00 with the 3.00 rule - So very similar). 

The actual reason there was a glut of newcomers last year is purely due to timing.  You need to follow the Youth Series.  You'd then see that last year we had theThompson twins, Palin, McGurk, Ablitt, Mulford, Kelly etc all turning 15 (plus Gilkes who delayed his start until he was 16).

This year there is a lack of youngsters turning 15.  Probably Sam Hagon is the only one who is ready.

Even if you made the 2020 points limit 37.00 with a 2.00 limit (the same as 39.00 with a 3.00 limit) you couldn't make 15-year-olds magically appear.   They're just not there this year.

Agreed, Palin, Gilkes, Thompson's etc would all have been signed if the minimum was 3.00!