British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Doug Templeton

Just heard from Reg Fearman , who got an e-mail from Bert Harkins , that Doug passed away age 90, another Provincial League stalwart gone. Reg rode against him many times and always felt he was a tough but fair competitor. R.I.P. Doug

• Thanks 1

Very sad news. Doug Templeton was one of the first Provincial League riders I saw. He rode in the 1960 World Championship Qualifying Round at New Cross, scoring four points.

I have always loved the story Stan Stevens told me once about the time he raced Doug Templeton up in Edinburgh:

"We [Rayleigh] were away against Edinburgh in the Provincial League in 1961. We were one of the favourites for the title that year as we had a strong heat leader trio of Reg Reeves, Harry Edwards and me, so we were expected to beat Edinburgh. But with one heat to go, the scores were level and I was out in the last heat with the unbeaten Reg Reeves, against George Hunter and Doug Templeton. George very soon got the better of Reg, but we were both comfortably ahead of Doug and it looked for all the world as though it would be a 3-3 and a draw. But I can still vividly recall what happened then. As I rode into the fourth bend on the last lap, thinking we had the draw, I could see the whole crowd in the main stand rise to their feet as one and it was because of this that I knew that Doug had got me. He had made an amazing manoeuvre to cut through on the inside of me. Although I came last and in effect lost the match for my team, I will never forget the sight of that crowd rising as one to cheer their own rider home."

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, norbold said:

Very sad news. Doug Templeton was one of the first Provincial League riders I saw. He rode in the 1960 World Championship Qualifying Round at New Cross, scoring four points.

I have always loved the story Stan Stevens told me once about the time he raced Doug Templeton up in Edinburgh:

"We [Rayleigh] were away against Edinburgh in the Provincial League in 1961. We were one of the favourites for the title that year as we had a strong heat leader trio of Reg Reeves, Harry Edwards and me, so we were expected to beat Edinburgh. But with one heat to go, the scores were level and I was out in the last heat with the unbeaten Reg Reeves, against George Hunter and Doug Templeton. George very soon got the better of Reg, but we were both comfortably ahead of Doug and it looked for all the world as though it would be a 3-3 and a draw. But I can still vividly recall what happened then. As I rode into the fourth bend on the last lap, thinking we had the draw, I could see the whole crowd in the main stand rise to their feet as one and it was because of this that I knew that Doug had got me. He had made an amazing manoeuvre to cut through on the inside of me. Although I came last and in effect lost the match for my team, I will never forget the sight of that crowd rising as one to cheer their own rider home."

Thanks for sharing that Norbold-great memory from Stan -another stalwart of the Prov. League

Nice and comprehensive obit on Doug from the Times no less. A thing that interested me was its comment that  Doug made it to the British Final in 1963. Does anyone know if  other Provincial League Riders made the British Finals of 1960, 61, 62 and 63 (1964 being the year they were Blacked and did not compete)

4 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Nice and comprehensive obit on Doug from the Times no less. A thing that interested me was its comment that  Doug made it to the British Final in 1963. Does anyone know if  other Provincial League Riders made the British Finals of 1960, 61, 62 and 63 (1964 being the year they were Blacked and did not compete)

In 1960 the British Semi-Finals formed the qualifying stage for the World Final, with riders appearing in 2 out of 4 meetings at Wimbledon, Coventry, Southampton and Norwich.  There were no PL riders participating at this stage.

Jack Scott of Plymouth scored 2 at Wembley in the British Final in 1961, but also doubled up with Southampton in the NL that year.

In 1962 the British Semi-Finals formed the qualifying round for the World Final, with riders appearing in 3 meetings at Wimbledon, Southampton and Norwich.  There were no PL riders participating at this stage.

Doug Templeton was the sole PL representative in 1963, when the British Semi-Finals formed the qualifying stage for the World Final, again held over 3 rounds at Wimbledon (where he scored 1 point), Southampton (1) and Norwich (0).

Edited by BL65

doug templeton

Thanks BL65-can always rely on you-interesting that guys  like George Hunter and Ivor Brown never got that far in the Qualifying rounds

1 hour ago, BL65 said:

In 1960 the British Semi-Finals formed the qualifying stage for the World Final, with riders appearing in 2 out of 4 meetings at Wimbledon, Coventry, Southampton and Norwich.  There were no PL riders participating at this stage.

Jack Scott of Plymouth scored 2 at Wembley in the British Final in 1961, but also doubled up with Southampton in the NL that year.

In 1962 the British Semi-Finals formed the qualifying round for the World Final, with riders appearing in 3 meetings at Wimbledon, Southampton and Norwich.  There were no PL riders participating at this stage.

Doug Templeton was the sole PL representative in 1963, when the British Semi-Finals formed the qualifying stage for the World Final, again held over 3 rounds at Wimbledon (where he scored 1 point), Southampton (1) and Norwich (0).

Brian Craven of Newcastle then in the PL reached the semi final stage in 1962.

8 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Brian Craven of Newcastle then in the PL reached the semi final stage in 1962.

He did indeed, thanks for reminding me and apologies for the oversight.

• Like 1