British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Peter Moore

Peter's name has cropped up in various threads and like someone else mentioned he deserves a thread of his own.  He appeared in  5 World Finals-best score 12 points in 1960 just missing a rostrum spot (or was it a tractor ride then). Had a rep as an extremely fast gater. I saw him a couple of times in 1966- at Long Eaton on 24th May in a WCQR where he scored 11 pts.. Ray Wilson won the round with 14 just ahead of Eric Boothroyd with 13. Looking at the programme though, I recall  mainly the outstanding performance of Ivor Hughes of Cradley who at that time was a second string (I think)-he put on an unbelievable performance-sadly he never realised his potential being fatally injured in a crash-he was from a little village in Wales called Berriew (I think).

Back to Peter I later saw him 21st June at L.E. riding for Kings Lynn against the Archers -good meeting L.E. won 44-33, Peter scored 10 pts second highest behind Terry Betts who got a 15 point max (another question-can't figure out why Bettsy made only one World Final appearance in his long career). Think Peter had a couple more seasons and then dropped down a league (Rayleigh maybe?).

Unfortunately Peter died at the young age of 67 in Aussie. Memories of Peter?? -would be great to hear them

Wimbledon won 7 out of 8 championships from 1954 to 1961. Peter was a key rider in many of those, always a top three rider on the great Dons teams. the other top Dons at different times with Peter were Ronnie Moore, Don How and Barry Briggs. Peter was key to those champion teams that were so dominant in a way that has never been equaled. He often partnered with Cyril Maidment and sometimes Bob Andrews or Gerald Jackson. In those days Cyril Brine always rode with Ronnie Moore. Peter was truly fast out of the gate but did not have Don How's aggression coming from behind. I remember when they had the second back marker gate ten yards back. Peter of course started from the back and more than once he rocketed away and was leading coming out of the first turn.

8 minutes ago, Celticman said:

Wimbledon won 7 out of 8 championships from 1954 to 1961. Peter was a key rider in many of those, always a top three rider on the great Dons teams. the other top Dons at different times with Peter were Ronnie Moore, Don How and Barry Briggs. Peter was key to those champion teams that were so dominant in a way that has never been equaled. He often partnered with Cyril Maidment and sometimes Bob Andrews or Gerald Jackson. In those days Cyril Brine always rode with Ronnie Moore. Peter was truly fast out of the gate but did not have Don How's aggression coming from behind. I remember when they had the second back marker gate ten yards back. Peter of course started from the back and more than once he rocketed away and was leading coming out of the first turn.

Only the famous Swindon Robins in 57 managed to stop the London stranglehold from 46 to 61

3 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Only the famous Swindon Robins in 57 managed to stop the London stranglehold from 46 to 61

They got lucky :)

Sorry to show my ignorance but Peter was before my time, just. I know he was an Aussie, but was he related to Ronnie? Ronnie was a Kiwi, I know. But he was born in Oz (in Tasmania).

6 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Sorry to show my ignorance but Peter was before my time, just. I know he was an Aussie, but was he related to Ronnie? Ronnie was a Kiwi, I know. But he was born in Oz (in Tasmania).

No relation

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Celticman said:

Ron How!

• Like 1