British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tosh1218

Loan Riders

12 minutes ago, ch958 said:

actually if this was taken to law it would collapse like a pack of cards - riders are actually self employed contractors and the asset system is a load of bollox. 

You're basing this comment on what?

It seems to be a perfectly sensible mechanism by which members of the BSPA can do business with each other, and obviously no one has had a problem with it in many decades of operation.

26 minutes ago, ch958 said:

actually if this was taken to law it would collapse like a pack of cards - riders are actually self employed contractors and the asset system is a load of bollox. 

Then they shouldn't enter into contractual agreements or accept payments for anything other than the work they do. Service contracts have failed the statutory test of Self Employment so it's only a matter of time.

if someone is an employee, they get paid and have certain protections. If a team can't fit a rider in, that rider is essentially redundant and able to seek work. elsewhere unfettered by his previous employer. Yes, its working at the moment and no one is complaining too much but sooner or later a Bosman type situation will arise. 

16 minutes ago, ch958 said:

if someone is an employee, they get paid and have certain protections. If a team can't fit a rider in, that rider is essentially redundant and able to seek work. elsewhere unfettered by his previous employer. Yes, its working at the moment and no one is complaining too much but sooner or later a Bosman type situation will arise. 

I can assure you that in most cases both sides are happy with the arrangement ,I am not privy to the sums involved( most teams want riders to be riding )  but it will be rider's terms that make or break deals !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ch958 said:

I'm afraid not, the riders are free to work for whom and where they like, granted there may be argy bargy because the club that holds the registration wants to offer a team place and some newby promoter has made an illegal approach offering the rider brewsters to go elsewhere. The BSPA has an appeal process which runs all the way to the ACU but ultimately the rider will ride where he chooses and in my example the club owning the registration gets a loan fee and the club making an illegal approach gets a fine. If club A says you can have him on a transfer only basis then it goes to appeal.

The process has been taken to Barristers by certainly one rider I know as well as the BSPA and has been acknowledged as legal and definately not a Bosman.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

I'm afraid not, the riders are free to work for whom and where they like, granted there may be argy bargy because the club that holds the registration wants to offer a team place and some newby promoter has made an illegal approach offering the rider brewsters to go elsewhere. The BSPA has an appeal process which runs all the way to the ACU but ultimately the rider will ride where he chooses and in my example the club owning the registration gets a loan fee and the club making an illegal approach gets a fine. If club A says you can have him on a transfer only basis then it goes to appeal.

The process has been taken to Barristers by certainly one rider I know as well as the BSPA and has been acknowledged as legal and definately not a Bosman.

I have highlighted something that others who disagree with the asset  system usually forget. If a rider was the Asset one presumes that the rider could only ride abroad with the permission of the Asset owner, his home GB club. What the home club owns is the riders registration for riding in the GB only.

11 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I have highlighted something that others who disagree with the asset  system usually forget. If a rider was the Asset one presumes that the rider could only ride abroad with the permission of the Asset owner, his home GB club. What the home club owns is the riders registration for riding in the GB only.

Correct and the riders/offshore clubs are protected by the ISLB fixture list "first logged first served" which is what maintains their self employed status for the time being.

That's without the DMU, SVEMO, MA, AMA and other federation agreements.

Edited by Byker Biker

On 1/1/2020 at 7:55 PM, PotteringAround said:

I always find comments like this particularly stupid.

Of course the paying customer in a sport has a right to know the rules by which the team he supports are competing.  And indeed the Speedway regulations are in the public domain, as are all the averages, and the competition rules.

It was even a fair question to ask what the mechanism for loan fees was.  If teams could negotiate their own loan fee levels it could lead to an unfair competitive advantage.  And this question was answered.  There was a set loan fee scale which makes things fair.

But to demand the intimate costings of a private limited company is just ridiculous.   No business operates like that.  When you bought your Christmas turkey at Tesco, they will have told you the price they wanted for it.  They'd have told you it's weight and any information you needed to know to be able to gauge what you were getting for your money.   But you really expect Tesco to tell you how much they paid for the turkey, or how much their rent and utilities bills are?      That's just ridiculous.

But do Tesco go cap in hand asking fans for donations because they are skint?

interesting points, i don;'t care about the loan system i just can't see how its legal and enforceable but u guys seem to know better

3 hours ago, ch958 said:

interesting points, i don;'t care about the loan system i just can't see how its legal and enforceable but u guys seem to know better

If you can elaborate on why you think it’s not legal or enforceable, I’ll be happy to explain to you why it is. 
The Bosman ruling is often cited but it has no relevance, nor, as far as I know, has it ever been used for any sport other than football. 

The main reason why Bosman is not relevant to Speedway is because it relates to contracts of employment and the aftermath. BSPA’s retained list system, which encompasses purchase/sale agreements and loan fees, is a commercial agreement amongst promoters. Riders are, at all times, free agents. 

9 minutes ago, Gordon Pairman said:

If you can elaborate on why you think it’s not legal or enforceable, I’ll be happy to explain to you why it is. 
The Bosman ruling is often cited but it has no relevance, nor, as far as I know, has it ever been used for any sport other than football. 

The main reason why Bosman is not relevant to Speedway is because it relates to contracts of employment and the aftermath. BSPA’s retained list system, which encompasses purchase/sale agreements and loan fees, is a commercial agreement amongst promoters. Riders are, at all times, free agents. 

Gordon if riders are indeed free agents,  is it not restrictive to that rider when the club he wants to ride for is told that the club that holds his registration will only agree if the other club buy him- in other words will not loan him to them.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Gordon if riders are indeed free agents,  is it not restrictive to that rider when the club he wants to ride for is told that the club that holds his registration will only agree if the other club buy him- in other words will not loan him to them.

Like Havvy did to us with Matej Kus.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

The rider can ride wherever he wants to. BSPA cannot block that. The only thing they can do is enforce the circumstance under which he is permitted to ride. 
Teams can ask SCB to arbitrate, and any decision might restrict the team but not the rider. 
I accept it’s a fine line, but the line is there nonetheless 

9 minutes ago, Gordon Pairman said:

The rider can ride wherever he wants to. BSPA cannot block that. The only thing they can do is enforce the circumstance under which he is permitted to ride. 
Teams can ask SCB to arbitrate, and any decision might restrict the team but not the rider. 
I accept it’s a fine line, but the line is there nonetheless 

Thanks- seems like a VAR line to me. :)

38 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Thanks- seems like a VAR line to me. :)

I like the analogy!

To be honest, I have never liked the retained list system but it has its merits. It acts as an additional level of financial security, over and above the bond monies. 

It worked better when there were more transfers and keeping them has been fought for by the lower leagues who often need to sell a rider’s registration in order to balance the books. With loan rates remaining relatively low, however, it’s been cheaper to “rent” rather than to buy and so the transfer market has all but dried up. 

In my view, the solution to getting rid of retained lists would have been to double the loan rates in year one - thus repaying the teams that had invested in riders - but also increase the Bond level. Year two loan rates would be 80% of year 1, year 3 60% etc and each year the bond would increase. 

By year 6, there would be no retained lists so no transfers, no loan fees and the cash bond level would be at the sort of level needed nowadays in the case of a default. 

It all sounds easy to me :D

• Like 2