British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tosh1218

Loan Riders

2 hours ago, stevehone said:

is there a rule now that stops a rider owning his own registration and in effect loaning himself out?

i think this is something Richard Green did, bought his own contract so got loan fees as well as points money

Last one I knew of was Neil Evvits. All riders have to be controlled by someone,  be it the asset owner, or the BSPA who have main control of all foreign registered riders or riders owned by an owner or club that is not running.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Last one I knew of was Neil Evvits. All riders have to be controlled by someone,  be it the asset owner, or the BSPA who have main control of all foreign registered riders or riders owned by an owner or club that is not running.

No sure your right Dave. There's nothing in the rule book to say a rider has to be ' controlled '  by any club. Jason Bunyan bought his own contract and then rode for Mildenhall.

The last club asset list that was published included riders who hadn't ridden for over 10 years and even two that are no longer with us!

8 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

No sure your right Dave. There's nothing in the rule book to say a rider has to be ' controlled '  by any club. Jason Bunyan bought his own contract and then rode for Mildenhall.

The last club asset list that was published included riders who hadn't ridden for over 10 years and even two that are no longer with us!

"Controlled" may not be the correct word, but the rider has to have an 'owner'. In the case of Bunyan, did he need to be someones's asset whilst riding in the NL. Plenty of kids riding in the NL are not on anyones asset list.

The later point is just sloppy clerical, but riders retired do come back, who would have thought James Wright might come back. How long was Ledworth out? In the case of the deceased two riders, I'm not sure there is a procedure to check such things. Perhaps his 'owner' should ask for the name to be removed.

4 hours ago, Tsunami said:

"Controlled" may not be the correct word, but the rider has to have an 'owner'. In the case of Bunyan, did he need to be someones's asset whilst riding in the NL. Plenty of kids riding in the NL are not on anyones asset list.

The later point is just sloppy clerical, but riders retired do come back, who would have thought James Wright might come back. How long was Ledworth out? In the case of the deceased two riders, I'm not sure there is a procedure to check such things. Perhaps his 'owner' should ask for the name to be removed.

Bunyan bought his own contract therefore was not an ' asset ' of any club, there's nothing in the book to say a rider must be someone's property because he doesn't. The asset system is only there to benefit the club's financial liability to the BSPA so that if a club folds they can claim the club's assets and then benefit from loaning them out themselves, like they did with Coventry.

New riders become assets by default once they have ridden so many matches for what ever club they start their career with in the U.K. Some riders are ' owned' by clubs that they have never ever ridden for, the British Champion being one such rider.

There has been no new asset list since 2017 as it was so out of date then it was embarrassing .If it was ever challenged it would have no legal basis whatsoever which is probably why there's been no attempt at renewing it.

2 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Bunyan bought his own contract therefore was not an ' asset ' of any club, there's nothing in the book to say a rider must be someone's property because he doesn't. The asset system is only there to benefit the club's financial liability to the BSPA so that if a club folds they can claim the club's assets and then benefit from loaning them out themselves, like they did with Coventry.

New riders become assets by default once they have ridden so many matches for what ever club they start their career with in the U.K. Some riders are ' owned' by clubs that they have never ever ridden for, the British Champion being one such rider.

There has been no new asset list since 2017 as it was so out of date then it was embarrassing .If it was ever challenged it would have no legal basis whatsoever which is probably why there's been no attempt at renewing it.

There's a bit of a contradiction there I think with these two statements.

Are you now saying there is no such thing as an Asset status ?

In the case of a club folding, the asset riders are then controlled by the BSPA,  and the assets can be sold but the monies can be held to cover any clubs debts or the usually reduced amount goes to the owner. I bought Jesper Olsen that way though the BSPA in 1997. 

• Like 1

Where's the contradiction?

I never said there wasn't an asset base just that certain riders have ridden without being an asset of any club and there is nothing to stop them doing so.

Each club and no doubt the BSPA will have a list of their alleged assets, wether they have ridden in the last 10 years or not!