British Speedway Forum
iris123

Mexico

Seen a couple of vague mentions of speedway in Mexico. Today looking at the line-up for the US 3 day Championship event at the L.A Coliseum, 1934 ,it mentions that Cordy Milne is the champion of Mexico !!! Anyone have any details at all of speedway in that country ?

the Californians went there and ran several meetings in Mexico City ca.1933/34 but it was a one-off tour and as far as I know rhe sport did not catch on in Mexico. 

• Like 1

I have this 1934 advert for the Crocker dirt track bike, and on the four corners are small pictures of race events.

Bottom left reads Mexico City 1933.

The others are Los Angeles 1931 (top left), San Diego 1932 (top right), and Oakland 1933 (bottom right) 

Mexico City Speedway 1933.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bavarian said:

I have this 1934 advert.....

Where did you get it? A rare item indeed.

It is interesting because one of the articles I was reading today from 1933 was talking about Byrd McKinney , who had the great nickname , King of Maniac, winning against Cordy Milne and beat brother Jack in a match race. But the surprising bit for me was that the Milne brothers were riding US bikes and that 'to date all the flat track racing cycles having been imported from England....'

Now that is quite a turnaround from a few years earlier when a lot of the top riders were on Harley or Indian bikes

Edited by iris123

14 minutes ago, iris123 said:

It is interesting because one of the articles I was reading today from 1933 was talking about Byrd McKinney winning against Cordy Milne and beat brother Jack in a match race. But the surprising bit for me was that the Milne brothers were riding US bikes and that 'to date all the flat track racing cycles having been imported from England....'

Now that is quite a turnaround from a few years earlier when a lot of the top riders were on Harley or Indian bikes

Here is another interesting LINK to an article in the Motorcyclist of 1933 about the first appearances of the Crocker speedway machines ridden by the Milne Brothers at the Emeryville Speedway in Oakland, Northern California, in November of 1933. 

Edited by Bavarian

5 hours ago, Bavarian said:

and still some more - The Crocker Story

https://thevintagent.com/2017/04/15/the-crocker-story/

I wonder if that's Fay Taylour posing on a Crocker speedway machine in one of those pictures?

Well, that is a bit strange

The actual newspaper report about the brothers riding US bikes is dated 15.11.1933 . Ok reading the other link, it does put the appearance earlier at 11. + 14 November which makes sense with my report, although if one or two of those 2nd places were match races........

I also have a report of a meeting on 28.11.1933 which states

The Milne brothers, Jack and Cody, expected to sparkle during the meet, failed to make their presence felt to any appreciable degree, a combination of slide and motor trouble eliminating them early

One or two interesting bits from the time mention 'Mark Porter,hard riding captain of the San Diego team' plus one or two riders wearing the colors of the Emeryville Red Devils......

Edited by iris123

There was a speedway meeting at the Youth Sports Arena in Tijuana in 1969.

I know this did happen as my friend has a programme from the event.

• Like 1

Any details on riders for that ? 

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Any details on riders for that ? 

Give me some time and I'll ask my friend for a scan.....

• Like 1

Here is a list of riders and mechanics etc returning to the US from Mexico. 1st-11th April 1933

Cordy Milne, Wilbur Lamereaux, Mark Porter, Burton Albrecht, Jimmy Gibbs, Frank Valenta, Marcus Kelly, Tom Cox, Robert Keller, Claud Hammond,  Paul Bigsby, Vern Keithly, Elwel (Bo) Lisman, Eldon (Shorty) Campbell and Ed Seward.    Seward was originally fron London England and most likely the man behind the venture. Seward was the only one accompanied by his wife and child.

Regards.

• Like 2