British Speedway Forum
iris123

Mexico

There was it seems, a huge turnout for this meeting. The riders were paid half in dollars and half in pesos....

Great. Thanks !!!

See that a Mexican rider was riding in California from 1933-35 and getting some decent results. Chico(Frank) Duarte at least was listed as Mexican, but then again Lammy was often refered to as the Frenchman or flying frenchman 

Edited by iris123

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 9:00 PM, Historian said:

Here is a list of riders and mechanics etc returning to the US from Mexico. 1st-11th April 1933

Cordy Milne, Wilbur Lamereaux, Mark Porter, Burton Albrecht, Jimmy Gibbs, Frank Valenta, Marcus Kelly, Tom Cox, Robert Keller, Claud Hammond,  Paul Bigsby, Vern Keithly, Elwel (Bo) Lisman, Eldon (Shorty) Campbell and Ed Seward.    Seward was originally fron London England and most likely the man behind the venture. Seward was the only one accompanied by his wife and child.

Regards.

It is interesting that I came across a piece by 'Sprouts' Elder where he states the San Diego speedway was the first purpose built track for the sport and that it was V.A Seward and W.A. Seward who got it up and running. Must be the same two guys who were with the riders in Mexico

On 1/1/2020 at 10:44 PM, Bavarian said:

Here is another interesting LINK to an article in the Motorcyclist of 1933 about the first appearances of the Crocker speedway machines ridden by the Milne Brothers at the Emeryville Speedway in Oakland, Northern California, in November of 1933. 

Also reading through reports, the Milne’s couldn’t have stayed with the Crocker bike too long. In 1934 Cordy at least was on an imported bike and during that season there was to be a clash between the US and England. Bikes that is, though the report doesn’t say which make and Harley brought out a bike that year for speedway, so it could be that. But it was announced that I think Farrand would be riding the US bike and Jack Milne would be on the English one

What I did find interesting and confusing at the same time, was a piece that the Milne brothers rode a bike with a Clem Mitchell frame when Jack won his world title and that Lammy also shared it in all his rides !!! Now that isn’t possible as they clashed in one or two heats. 

Seen another report from 1936 describing Manuel Trujillo as the Champion of Mexico and rated among the best 6 riders in the US and was top scorer of the US riders n their recent tour of NZ

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Seen another report from 1936 describing Manuel Trujillo as the Champion of Mexico and rated among the best 6 riders in the US and was top scorer of the US riders n their recent tour of NZ

An intersting comment. Further research will show that Manuel Trujillo was American by nationality and born in Texas. He also worked alongside the Milnes (Jack and Cordy) and Wilbur Lamoreaux when they were mototccle messengers for Western Union in California. I have been in contact with Manuel's grandson Sean Trujillo for at least the past !0 years - he also lives in California. Beside's the mentioned Mexico venture, Manuel also raced with a American team in Japan, as well as riding in New Zealand, Australia, Britain an∂ Ireland. Manuel raced speedway from circa 1932 until 1952.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, gustix said:

An intersting comment. Furtherer research will show that Manuel Trujillo was American by nationality and born in Texas. He also worked alongside the Milnes (Jack and Cordy) and Wilbur Lamoreaux when they were mototccle messengers for Western Union in California. I have been in contact with Manuel's grandson Sean Trujillo for at least the past !0 years - he also lives in California. Beside's the mentioned Mexico venture, Manuel also raced with a American team in Japan, as well as riding in New Zealand, Australia, Britain an∂ Ireland. Manuel raced speedway from circa 1932 until 1952.

Of course. Another report from the same time actually mentioned Trujillo as 'open champion of Mexico'. remembering that previously Cordy Milne was Champion of Mexico, even though he was a US citizen. But other reports and even ads list Trujillo as being a Mexican which of course we know is wrong, but I guess this was all released by Putt Mossmann as part of his tour promotion....

• Like 1

1969 b.JPG

• Like 1

1969 d.JPG

• Like 2

1969 wyniki.JPG

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Puma23 said:

1969 wyniki.JPG

Cec Platt - is that the Australian who rode for Reading?

4 hours ago, arnieg said:

Cec Platt - is that the Australian who rode for Reading?

I noticed that too. It's unlikely that there would be two riders of that name at the same time.

Edit: I haven't found anything concrete on Cec himself, but I found an article that states Cec's son Ty rode at Tijuana.

Edited by chunky

On YouTube I found this very old and very short footage of Flat Track Speedway racing in Mexico City, probably of 1933 when the Americans were there.