British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

US national championships 20s + 30s

8 hours ago, Puma23 said:

Cincinati-Hamilton - 10.08.1927

Art Pechar (New Heaven) won national championship in Cincinati-Hamilton Speedway in 1927. Second was Miny Waln (Los Angeles), third was Water Stoddard (Hagerstown) and fourth was John Dudlak (Chicago).

Well, this just means I have even more questions!

I live in Cincinnati, and this is confusing. We did have a short-lived board-track in Sharonville (south-east of Hamilton), but that closed in 1919. Nearly all of the info I can find  about "Cincinnati-Hamilton Speedway" refers to a track on the Dixie Highway - that didn't open until 1929!

I have found reference to a track that supposedly opened in 1919, but I have no official name or location. Guess I'll have to dig a little deeper...

Hi Chunky!

It is my mistake. Results are from 1930 no from 1927.

7 minutes ago, Puma23 said:

Hi Chunky!

It is my mistake. Results are from 1930 no from 1927.

Ah, that makes more sense, then! Thanks.

image.png.d11079fa55f32f316d1da96cb9e469a0.png

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, chunky said:

Well, I have just found some newspaper references to Wilbur Lamoreaux as the 1933 "National Champion", which does seem more likely than Ray Grant. They are all in the 'Fresno Bee'; from August 15, 1934, August 19, 1934, and October 18, 1935.

Two of them also reference Miny Waln as 1932 Champ, and one mentions Cordy Milne as 1934 Champ. These tie in with the info on the 'Speedway Champions' website. Seems strange how the different resources agree on the other years, but not 1933.

Emeryville Speedway - 29/11/1933

1. Wilbur Lamoreaux

2. Byrd McKinney

3. Miny Waln

Jack Milne, Cordy Milne and Earl Farrand rode too. Only six riders competed.

Edited by Puma23

1 hour ago, Puma23 said:

1. Wilbur Lamoreaux

2. Byrd McKinney

3. Miny Waln

That sounds much more like it...

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Puma23 said:

1. Wilbur Lamoreaux

2. Byrd McKinney

3. Miny Waln

On 1/2/2020 at 5:27 PM, iris123 said:

Got a report from the previous year, which confirms Lammy as champ. At this time it was points accumulated over a number of meetings

Wilbur 'Lammy' Lamoreaux, lithe Frenchman from Pasadena, today holds the title as the result of a scintillating performance turned in at the seasons final meet in the Emeryville Motorcycle Speedway last night.

Although Lamoreaux's riding was of the sensational variety, and he had clinched the championship before the meet had reached the half way mark, he was given plenty of competition by Byrd McKinney and Garland Johnson, the latter something of a dark horse so far as last evenings program was concerned.

Ed Jones of Stockton secured the Northern California title by some consistent riding although A. Chasteen of Oakland, runner up copped a special match race.

Lamoreaux climaxed a great evening of piloting to win the final scratch race, with McKinney 2nd and Miny Waln, deposed title holder, third

The Milne brothers, Jack and Cordy, expected to sparkle..............and motor trouble eliminating them early

:rolleyes:

forty motorcycle racers vie tomorrow In the first daylight program ever held at the Long Beach Motospeedway. Eighteen races, including both scratch and handicap events, are scheduled, with “Sprouts” Elder, world champion, and Miny Wain, national champion, heading the entries which also include Ray Grant, Bo Lisman, Cordy Milne, Lammy Lamoreaux, Earl Farrand and Rusty Roberts. Elder and Wain will hook up in several of the events in starting their race for 1933 honors. Wain will be presented with the speedway trophy he won last year by Miss Glenda Farrell, motion picture star.

August 1933

Fresno Republican 8-31-1933

The Los Angeles Times (Los Angeles, California)24 Aug 1933, ThuPage 26

September, and i am not sure if this refers to the US championship. In the paper it talks about West side championship. But to me from the earlier paper about Lammy already having the title befre the last meeting had reached half way, means it was a GP style series, which ties in with this. I also can't believe that it was just down to 6 riders. And to me it looks like Puma has misunderstood that the scratch race final was the final for the title....

BYRD M'KINNEY, who grabbed the lead in the, championship  a month ago, will face Wilbur Lamoreaux, Cordy M)lne, Miny Wain and Jack Milne to-. night in the races at Loyola. Motor Races ..Due Tonight .at Loyola speedway b?gin bearing down tonight in the race for the championship of the west side racing plant. Lammy" Lamoreaux, Burton Albrecht. Cordy Milne, Jack Milne, Miny Wain and. other hot shot speedsters are all here intent on passing Byrd McKinney, Who grabbed off the lead a month ago and has held it ever since. . Tonight's big drawing card is the three-way match race doubleheader" between Cordy Milne, .Wilbur Lamoreaux and Miny Wain for the "Undisputed championship - of Southern California. Milne will Jsattle Wain for two excursions around the fast and spectacular track, with Lamourcaux challenging the winner.

Edited by iris123

Propably you are right iris123. I will check it tomorrow.

You can check Oakland Tribune from 29th of November from 1933.

Good to hear.

I just wonder how Ray Grant got credited with the championship, especially as he was missing a good bit of the season due to injury. I wonder if he won something else ?

I also came across a Mexico v California meeting. Though disappointed that the 'Mexico' team was just the US riders that had ventured down to race in Mexico, rather than any Mexican speedway riders

47 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Good to hear.

I just wonder how Ray Grant got credited with the championship, especially as he was missing a good bit of the season due to injury. I wonder if he won something else ?

Well, you know how many unofficial "World" Championships back then, so it wouldn't surprise me if we had some unofficial "US" Championships around. Plus, the history of speedway and the AMA hasn't always been that clear...