British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

US national championships 20s + 30s

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 5:13 PM, iris123 said:

Well basically start with the 1934 championship at the L.A Coliseum, which was a 3 day event. A great idea I think, but think it was a one-off in the history of the sport

It seems like the first 2 days were qualifiers for the final day and it looks to me as if the points from the quali meetings were taken over to the final

See that day 1 had a 12,000 att and 10,000 for day2. No idea about the final day, if anyone has info ? If anyone has any heat details that would be great

One query for day 1. The report I have seen say's 'Pete Coleman carrying on for the injured Jack Milne'. Not quite sure what this means as in the line-up for the final day, both are listed

Day 2 mentions Sam Arena deserted his hospital bed to ride and he qualified!!! And that Garland Johnson forced Wilbur Lamoreaux, the reigning title holder(important because one or two sites list Ray Grant as 1933 champ?), to a new track record. Johnson took 4 2nd places  to turn a score of 12 from a possible 16. So I guess both quali meets were run over 16 heats ?

The final line-up; 'Sprouts' Elder (riding with 3 broken ribs from a previous crash),W.Lamoreaux, G.Johnson, S.Arena, C.Self, B.McKinney, C.Milne, M.Waln, B.Lisman, P.Coleman, J.Milne, E. Hinkle,R.Roberts, K.Schofield, E.Spadefore, E.Jones, E.Farrand

Just know Cordy and Lammy tied for points on 28 and I am guessing they had a run-off which Cordy led narrowly all the way to the finish and broke the track record. Possibly though they met in their last heat and Cordy had a 32 pt max from the two meetings !! 

Milne then had a total of 32, Lammy finished 2nd and Byrd McKinney 3rd. Not sure on their totals

then Earl Farrand had 25 as did Bo Lisman, Pete Coleman 24, Kenny Schofield 24 and Elder had 20

Anyone fill in the gaps ?

A few weeks later Lloyd 'Sprouts' Elder announced his retirement from the sport and that he was joining the Fresno California Highway Patrol 

In the aftermatch of the 1934 US national championship, the dethroned champ, Wilbur Lamoreaux was upset that new champ, Cordy Milne used what he called a 'trick machine'. It seems Cordy's frame was shorter than the standard frame which according to Lammy gave him an unfair advantage on the turns. The promoter of Emeryville Speedway got wind of this and held a series of conferences to match them up at his track.

Through Lammy's manager he heard Wilbur would agree as long as Cordy used a standard bike. It was then that AMA president Hap Alzina stepped in to threaten Cordy with a lifetime ban from all tracks if he didn't agree. In the end Milne had no choice, but requested the track be specially prepared so he could ride 'full throttle'. He then sent a telegram stating he would bring both his short bike and a standard one and said 'understood race to decide best man.Why not trade machines? Will beat him anyway'

When told of this Lammy replied 'All I want is a chance to meet him again on even terms.Let me at him'. The race was to be over two laps and a huge cash prize was waiting for the winner to settle the argument.

In the end Milne proved yet again he was the better man at that time and not only won the revenge race, but also beat Lammy in the scratch race final that night

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 4:53 PM, gustix said:

I am surprised that Manuel Trujillo, who was a close friend of Wilbur Lamoreaux, Jack and Cordy Milne, does not appear in any of these early day US championships. Possibly it was because - and it needs confirmation? - Trujillo was also active with a rival speedway faction run by the 'legendary' Putt Mossman at this time?

Having seen the line-up for the first semi-final at the LA Coliseum, I can now state that Trujillo was 3rd reserve behind Bud Johnson and Jack Burris

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 5:13 PM, iris123 said:

Well basically start with the 1934 championship at the L.A Coliseum, which was a 3 day event. A great idea I think, but think it was a one-off in the history of the sport

It seems like the first 2 days were qualifiers for the final day and it looks to me as if the points from the quali meetings were taken over to the final

See that day 1 had a 12,000 att and 10,000 for day2. No idea about the final day, if anyone has info ? If anyone has any heat details that would be great

One query for day 1. The report I have seen say's 'Pete Coleman carrying on for the injured Jack Milne'. Not quite sure what this means as in the line-up for the final day, both are listed

Day 2 mentions Sam Arena deserted his hospital bed to ride and he qualified!!! And that Garland Johnson forced Wilbur Lamoreaux, the reigning title holder(important because one or two sites list Ray Grant as 1933 champ?), to a new track record. Johnson took 4 2nd places  to turn a score of 12 from a possible 16. So I guess both quali meets were run over 16 heats ?

The final line-up; 'Sprouts' Elder (riding with 3 broken ribs from a previous crash),W.Lamoreaux, G.Johnson, S.Arena, C.Self, B.McKinney, C.Milne, M.Waln, B.Lisman, P.Coleman, J.Milne, E. Hinkle,R.Roberts, K.Schofield, E.Spadefore, E.Jones, E.Farrand

Just know Cordy and Lammy tied for points on 28 and I am guessing they had a run-off which Cordy led narrowly all the way to the finish and broke the track record. Possibly though they met in their last heat and Cordy had a 32 pt max from the two meetings !! 

Milne then had a total of 32, Lammy finished 2nd and Byrd McKinney 3rd. Not sure on their totals

then Earl Farrand had 25 as did Bo Lisman, Pete Coleman 24, Kenny Schofield 24 and Elder had 20

Anyone fill in the gaps ?

A few weeks later Lloyd 'Sprouts' Elder announced his retirement from the sport and that he was joining the Fresno California Highway Patrol 

The line-up for day 1

Sid Chambers

Byrd McKinney

Eddie Spadafore

Snooks Blankenburg

Sprouts Elder

Clff Self

Chico Duarte

Burton Albrecht

Lou Casazza

Bo Lisman

Miny Waln

Bert Lewis

Ed Jones

Pete Colman

Ray Holt

Frank Serveti

reserves probably for both days at a guess

Bud Johnson

Jack Burris

Manuel Trujill

Lou Branch

Los Angeles (Olympic Stadium) - 1, 2, 3 lipca (01.07, 02.07., 03.07).

Finał

Pozycja
(Position)
Zawodnik
(Rider)
Klub
(Club)
Punkty
(Points)
Suma
(Total)
1 Cordy Milne Hollywood - 32
2 Wilbur Lamoreaux - - 31
3 Byrd McKinney - - 29
4 Miny Waln - - 27
5 Earl Farrand - - 25
6 Bo Lisman - - 25
6 Pete Coleman - - 24
8 Ken Schofield - - 24
8 Rusty Roberts - - 23
10 Garland Johnson - - 22
10 Ed Hinkle - - 22
12 Sprouts Elder - - 20
12 Cliff Self - - 19
14 Burton Albrecht - - 15
15 Sam Arena - - 15
16 Ed Spadefore - - 15
17 Charles Cullum - - 10
18 Hugh Blankenburg - - 10
19 Al Chasteen - - 9
20 Bert Lewis - - 9
21 Sid Chambers - - 8
22 Putt Mossman - - 8
23 Bud Johnson - - 7
24 Al Lauer - - 6

Fresno - 20 październik (20.10).

Finał

Pozycja
(Position)
Zawodnik
(Rider)
Klub
(Club)
Punkty
(Points)
Suma
(Total)
1 Cordy Milne Los Angeles - 20
2 Jack Milne Los Angeles - 17
3 Miny Waln Los Angeles - 17
4 Byrd McKinney Pasadena - 16
5 Pete Coleman Pasadena - 16
5 Wilbur Lamoreaux Sacramento - 15
7 Ken Schofield Hollywood - 13
7 Ray Tauser Portland - 12
9 Al Chasteen Oakland - 12
10 Jimmie Gibb New Jersey - 11
10 Cliff Carroll Modesto - 11
12 Putt Mossman Los Angeles - 9
13 Bert Lewis Los Angeles - 8
14 Dutch Mueller Los Angeles - 8
14 Earl Farrand Giendale - 7
14 Jerry Girard Hollywood - 7

New York (Tri-City Stadium) - 6 październik (06.10).

Finał

Pozycja
(Position)
Zawodnik
(Rider)
Klub
(Club)
Punkty
(Points)
Suma
(Total)
1 Benny Kaufman New York - 20
2 Earl Farrand Giendale, California - 17
3 Crocky Rawding Bloomfield - 16
4 Don Smith Denison, Texas - 15
5 Palmer Tamburro Cliffside, N. J. - 15
6 Bo Lisman Long Beach, California - 14
7 Charles Cullum Long Beach, California - 13
8 Woddie Castonguay Springfield, Mass. - 13
9 Field Helgason Seattle - 13
10 Walt Nazar Hicksville, L. I. - 12
11 Ray Grant Portland, Ore. - 12
12 Mutt Kelly Portland, Ore. - 10
13 Ed Hinkle Bell, California - 9
14 Al Lauer Sacramento - 8
15 George Matheson Paterson - 8
16 Dutch Mueller Pasadena, California - 3

Does anyone have more details about championship 1933 and 1936?

On 5/22/2020 at 8:00 PM, iris123 said:

The line-up for day 1

Sid Chambers

Byrd McKinney

Eddie Spadafore

Snooks Blankenburg

Sprouts Elder

Clff Self

Chico Duarte

Burton Albrecht

Lou Casazza

Bo Lisman

Miny Waln

Bert Lewis

Ed Jones

Pete Colman

Ray Holt

Frank Serveti

reserves probably for both days at a guess

Bud Johnson

Jack Burris

Manuel Trujill

Lou Branch

Whatever happened to Snooks Blankenburg?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, norbold said:

Whatever happened to Snooks Blankenburg?

He just disappeared. I suspect Lou Casazza and Dutch Mueller had something to do with it

• Haha 1

This is a most interesting thread- a subject I knew nothing about. Thanks everybody for doing the research particularly our Polish friend Puma from Poland which is now the real heart of speedway-at least that's how it seems to me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

This is a most interesting thread- a subject I knew nothing about. Thanks everybody for doing the research particularly our Polish friend Puma from Poland which is now the real heart of speedway-at least that's how it seems to me.

Thing is, the US was really a prominent speedway nation in the early days of the sport. Having evolved from board-racing into Class 'A' racing (flat-track) into speedway, there was a ton of quality American riders (and Canadians) back then.

• Like 1

Well, I have just found some newspaper references to Wilbur Lamoreaux as the 1933 "National Champion", which does seem more likely than Ray Grant. They are all in the 'Fresno Bee'; from August 15, 1934, August 19, 1934, and October 18, 1935.

Two of them also reference Miny Waln as 1932 Champ, and one mentions Cordy Milne as 1934 Champ. These tie in with the info on the 'Speedway Champions' website. Seems strange how the different resources agree on the other years, but not 1933.

2 hours ago, chunky said:

Thing is, the US was really a prominent speedway nation in the early days of the sport. Having evolved from board-racing into Class 'A' racing (flat-track) into speedway, there was a ton of quality American riders (and Canadians) back then.

Very true. It is highly likely that the first speedway meetings were held in America rather than Australia if we accept that an essential ingredient of speedway is racing round oval tracks on motor bikes without brakes and sliding round the bends.

Posted (edited)

Cincinati-Hamilton - 10.08.1930

Art Pechar (New Heaven) won national championship in Cincinati-Hamilton Speedway in 1930. Second was Miny Waln (Los Angeles), third was Water Stoddard (Hagerstown) and fourth was John Dudlak (Chicago).

Edited by Puma23