British Speedway Forum
tomhaines

Edinburgh & Glasgow race night

Hi,

Looking to plan a Scottish trip later this year and hoping to take in Glasgow and Edinburgh speedway if the dates work. I can see on Twitter that Edinburgh’s race night is Friday but can’t find Glasgow’s anywhere?

can someone advise?

29 minutes ago, tomhaines said:

Hi,

Looking to plan a Scottish trip later this year and hoping to take in Glasgow and Edinburgh speedway if the dates work. I can see on Twitter that Edinburgh’s race night is Friday but can’t find Glasgow’s anywhere?

can someone advise?

Glasgow are also Fridays.

It must be a Scottish thing to run on the same night! The Cowdenbeath and Lochgelly stock car tracks to run on the same night as well.

8 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

It must be a Scottish thing to run on the same night! The Cowdenbeath and Lochgelly stock car tracks to run on the same night as well.

Maybe its about 'competition'?

7 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Glasgow were allowed to change to Fridays from a Sunday.Dont think they are as close as Lochgelly and Cowdenbeath though.;)

Just now, Fromafar said:

Glasgow were allowed to change to Fridays from a Sunday.Dont think they are as close as Lochgelly and Cowdenbeath though.;)

The two speedways are definately are not as close as the two stock car tracks. But I suspect in both sports there would be a few people who would like to go to both tracks to follow their sport which is currently not possible. Being someone who enjoys both sports if I lived in that area I would want speedway on two weekday evenings and the stox on Saturday and Sunday to get four meetings in a week!

Back in the day I used to do Crayford speedway on a Tuesday, Aldershot stox or Wimbledon speedway on a Thurday, Crayford stox on a Friday, Wimbledon, Coventry or Harringay Stox on a Saturday and a choice of stox at Ipswich, Brafield, Wisbech and others on a Sunday.

I don't think the clashes were to bad last season?

At the Edinburgh v Berwick match at the end of July an Edinburgh fan told me that tonight's meeting was the 5th clash of the season with Glasgow.  Two of them were with fixture fillers with the inter league challenge and the Caledonian riders championship.  Even at 5 clashes for 4 months (April - end of July) I wouldn't say its a big problem.

When Glasgow meet Edinburgh it is at Armadale on Friday night and Ashfield on a Sunday afternoon you could also fit in a Berwick home meeting on the Saturday night 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chris116 said:

The two speedways are definately are not as close as the two stock car tracks. But I suspect in both sports there would be a few people who would like to go to both tracks to follow their sport which is currently not possible. Being someone who enjoys both sports if I lived in that area I would want speedway on two weekday evenings and the stox on Saturday and Sunday to get four meetings in a week!

Back in the day I used to do Crayford speedway on a Tuesday, Aldershot stox or Wimbledon speedway on a Thurday, Crayford stox on a Friday, Wimbledon, Coventry or Harringay Stox on a Saturday and a choice of stox at Ipswich, Brafield, Wisbech and others on a Sunday.

Edinburgh fans tend to boycott Glasgow since a war of words between Promotions a couple of seasons ago!! The ironic thing is the times I have been Members of Edinburgh Promotion have been in attendance.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 5:29 PM, tomhaines said:

Hi,

can someone advise?

Don't know where you're travelling from Tom or quite when, however if your dates don't allow you to take in both tracks please don't make the mistake of choosing Armadale over Ashfield! :t:

• Like 1

It’s a shame one team doesn’t change to Saturday night to allow for visiting teams to do northern tours and halve the travelling. 
always used to be the highlight of the seasons for travelling fans. 
I’d imagine more visiting fans too as better value for a weekend away 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

It’s a shame one team doesn’t change to Saturday night to allow for visiting teams to do northern tours and halve the travelling. 

Most northern tours are Glasgow / Edinburgh Friday, Berwick Saturday, Newcastle Sunday.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Edinburgh were always a Friday track for as long as I can remember, was surprising BSPA allowed their nearest rivals to race on same night!

Edited by szkocjasid

5 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Edinburgh were always a Friday track for as long as I can remember, was surprising BSPA allowed their nearest rivals to race on same night!

Check out "adventures of stevie v".

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

When they raced at Old Meadowbank they raced on Saturdays.

• Like 4