British Speedway Forum
tomhaines

Edinburgh & Glasgow race night

When Edinburgh returned to speedway in 1977 at Powderhall, the Tigers had been racing on Fridays for some time at White City, Hampden and at that time, Coatbridge. The two tracks both ran on Fridays for many years until Glasgow moved to Sundays. In so doing the lost priority but to say that they have no right to race on Fridays is not borne out by history. It's sad that both Scottish tracks share the same racenight but in these days of fractured fixture lists it's not so bad as weekly conflicts.

Edited by RobMcCaffery

On 1/4/2020 at 4:13 PM, Racin Jason 72 said:

It’s a shame one team doesn’t change to Saturday night to allow for visiting teams to do northern tours and halve the travelling. 
always used to be the highlight of the seasons for travelling fans. 
I’d imagine more visiting fans too as better value for a weekend away 

Personally I think it lacks basic common sense, some supporters would clearly go to both and the point about visiting fans making a weekend of it is also a good point.

21 hours ago, tyretrax said:

When they raced at Old Meadowbank they raced on Saturdays.

And a good day out it was. In the 60's, drive up in the morning, Princess Street and the park in the afternoon , tea at Woolworths cafe,  the meeting  at Old M and a fight with the usual loopy son and mother in the main stand, chip supper in the chip parlour in Mussleborough and then the  race back home. Happiness.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Personally I think it lacks basic common sense, some supporters would clearly go to both and the point about visiting fans making a weekend of it is also a good point.

But visiting fans could have a weekend, Edinburgh or Glasgow on Friday, Berwick on Saturday and Newcastle on the Sunday, that’s something for the fixture planners to consider.

23 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

Very simplistic point of view. You are assuming the same number of Glasgow and Edinburgh fans will attend no matter the day or time which we all know is nonsense. As an example let's assume 900 Glasgow fans attend Glasgow on a Friday night but only 650 on a Saturday night. They might be lucky and get 100 Edinburgh fans so would be worse off by 250 customers. As has been said fans can still do a northern tour and these fans say 50 are a welcome bonus but the bottom line is that both Glasgow and Edinburgh need to race when they can maximise attendance by there own fans and presumably that's why they both race on a Friday. Doesn't suit every fan but nothing will. 

2 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

Very simplistic point of view. You are assuming the same number of Glasgow and Edinburgh fans will attend no matter the day or time which we all know is nonsense. As an example let's assume 900 Glasgow fans attend Glasgow on a Friday night but only 650 on a Saturday night. They might be lucky and get 100 Edinburgh fans so would be worse off by 250 customers. As has been said fans can still do a northern tour and these fans say 50 are a welcome bonus but the bottom line is that both Glasgow and Edinburgh need to race when they can maximise attendance by there own fans and presumably that's why they both race on a Friday. Doesn't suit every fan but nothing will. 

A see maths isn't your strong point. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

I WOULD SAY I SHOULD BE 10  Edinburgh FANS

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Maths he might be , now Arithmetic is another matter.

Me personally i think it's a simple oversight. 

But we all understand what he means and is a valid point.

5 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Not at all the 100 Edinburgh fans would try to get in through the the pits gate and wouldn't buy anything unlike the Glasgow fans. The use of the word customers was deliberate :nono:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

Not at all the 100 Edinburgh fans would try to get in through the the pits gate and wouldn't buy anything unlike the Glasgow fans. The use of the word customers was deliberate :nono:

oops, sorry, I didn't realise that so I do apologise :t:

• Thanks 1