British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

USA Open Championship

A major competition on the USA's East Coast is the Open Championship, dating back to the 1930s. Among its winners were Benny Kaufman and Jimmy Gibb. Both were Wimbledon riders at stages of their racing careers.

Edited by Guest

It would be nice to read some interesting info, like maybe a report from one of the meetings, a line- up or you know something

Thanks for posting this-didn't know it was still going. Do you know the venue-since Speedway has totally shut down in Canada-we are starved up here. . I would be prepared to drive into USA to see this-maybe other Canucks like Tiger Tom and Andout might be interested too-do you know how to get hold of the USA Speedway  schedules for next year? Looked like a good meeting!

34 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Thanks for posting this-didn't know it was still going. Do you know the venue-since Speedway has totally shut down in Canada-we are starved up here. . I would be prepared to drive into USA to see this-maybe other Canucks like Tiger Tom and Andout might be interested too-do you know how to get hold of the USA Speedway  schedules for next year? Looked like a good meeting!

Go to speedwaybikes.com. You will find info on there, and contact details. Jason Bonsignore is doing a good job up there.

Thanx Chunky, I went to the website-see Nichols NY is not that far from Binghampton, will keep an eye on the 2020 schedule and may go and check it out this year. I agree that that's a good website that Jason has got going.

2 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Yes Bob, I do go to the "open" at Owego once in a while but the 12 hour round trip is not exciting!

There are three tracks now in New York state, Owego, Greene and Cuddebackville......Owego being the closest!!!

As "Chunky" states speedwaybikes.com is your best bet for schedules.

4 hours ago, lastword said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVQEqIjbKfc

Here's day 2.

Probably other days racing on You Tube somewhere?

That's interesting - we are near to getting details of past winners of the New York State staged Open Championship (or similar events) which dates back to pre-WW2 years.

I found a list of champions but cannot seem to get the Link. But I did notice the names of several riders with both pre-WW2 and post-WW2 Plough Lane connections among the champions: Jimmy Gibb, Bud Reda, Manuel Trujillo, Benny Kaufman.

From memory!!! Jimmy Gibb won the title in 1935, Benny Kaufman in 1936, Manuel Trujillo in 1939 and 1946, Bud Reda in 1948..

In these seasons the championship possibly had a slightly different title.

Edited by Guest

Ta much gustix-appreciate the help, also thanks to Andout. Do any of the Canadian speedway guys-thinking of the Hesmer brothers or say Kyle Legault ever go to these events. I need a speedway fix!!

23 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Ta much gustix-appreciate the help, also thanks to Andout. Do any of the Canadian speedway guys-thinking of the Hesmer brothers or say Kyle Legault ever go to these events. I need a speedway fix!!

In a word NO.....at least I have never seen them there!!