British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Strikes, bans and protests

To confirm the Daily Mirror reporting regarding the speedway strike being called off is this report in the 27 July 1937 Daily Express

Daily Express 27 July 1937 Clip.jpg

• Like 2

I  know this is off topic but the Daily Mirror reports the 1936 World Final attendance odf about 74,000 fans which is more than the 65,000 I have seen in books.

interestingly it reports that the reason why Eric Langton was not excluded for breaking the tapes in the run-off is because under match race rule there cannot be a false start.

sadly, the forum will not allow me to upload any more articles due to overgoing my mb allocation for this space

Edited by Robbie B
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 11:10 AM, Robbie B said:

iris123 were there any strikes in pre-war British speedway that you have come across?

Found something from 1931

The Daily Mail reveals that a strike nearly preceded the speedway test between England and Australia, the riders demanding the doubling of the fiver which is the usual appearance fee. Despite the hothead's insistence on a strike, wiser counsels prevailed and the matter will be thrashed out at a special meeting of the National Speedway Association, when it is expected that a decision to make the fee for test appearances of 10 pounds, will be reached

Presumably all went well. No mention of this on International Speedway

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Found something from 1931

The Daily Mail reveals that a strike nearly preceded the speedway test between England and Australia, the riders demanding the doubling of the fiver which is the usual appearance fee. Despite the hothead's insistence on a strike, wiser counsels prevailed and the matter will be thrashed out at a special meeting of the National Speedway Association, when it is expected that a decision to make the fee for test appearances of 10 pounds, will be reached

Presumably all went well. No mention of this on International Speedway

Nice One iris123 another to your tlist in this excellent topic :cheers:

iris123 I have just read this from the Daily Mail did you at the bottom of the news story that it stated that now Vic Huxley is definity World Champion the question of the next challenger becomes important. With it mentioning Eric Langton and Haig as outstanding northern riders , and Burton, Jack Parker and Dicky Case having a strong for the south. And as Tom Stenner writes the committee should start arranging eliminating races between these riders.

I wonder of they considered the Star Riders Champion as World champion afterall Vic Huxley did win the 1930 event as would have been the reigning champion at the time of this news story.

iris123 you might stumble across something interesting here and extremely debatable were Star Riders considered World Champions? may be a topic for a separate page.  

Edited by Robbie B
  • Like 1

Yes there were many titles considered to be world champion. Can discuss it on the un-official world championships thread. there might even be  Star Riders thread buried away. Sure I have seen, maybe even posted that there were one or two riders before 1928 considered to be world champion

iris123 I found another in the Daily Mail 1 June 1935 page 14, titled riders Threaten A Strike) news story by Tom Stenner.

Riders threatening to strike over non-payment of their £2 booking fee this season (1935) the strike is due to be called y the Riders Association and unless they received contracts on the same terms as 1934 they would in 2 days time. 

And another rider strike mentioned in the Daily Mail on 8 April 1938, page 17. (titled Uncensored Sports Parade), in an article by Tom Stenner regarding riders who easily earn £60 - £100 per week demanding a £300 singing on fee. 

Edited by Robbie B

Oh on that 2 pound fee I found an article post war from 1949

British speedway riders threaten to strike on Saturday unless their demands for more prize money are met.

They demand that prize money be increased from 2 pounds each point scored to 3 pounds. Riders made their demands after the formation of a junior league, which has 4 of the heats during a meeting .The senior men claim this has cut their prize money

5 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Oh on that 2 pound fee I found an article post war from 1949

British speedway riders threaten to strike on Saturday unless their demands for more prize money are met.

They demand that prize money be increased from 2 pounds each point scored to 3 pounds. Riders made their demands after the formation of a junior league, which has 4 of the heats during a meeting .The senior men claim this has cut their prize money

I'm only 1938 so far but following form my previous message in 1938 Bluey Wilkinson,  Lionel van Pragg, Bill Kitchen and Eric langton pulled out of a test match between England and Australia vs USA unless their payment was increased by £2 a point and 10 shilling start. Article written by Tom Stenner in the Daily Mail 13 September 1938 page 14 and titled 'speedway strike'.

The riders complained that they were underpaid in the previous test match by receiving 30 shillings a point and £1 a start.

Edited by Robbie B

According to International Speedway, Vic Huxley failed to appear for Australia v England in their 1932-33 series in his homeland because the promoters' failed to meet his demanded appearance fee'

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Robbie B said:

Nice One iris123 another to your tlist in this excellent topic :cheers:

iris123 I have just read this from the Daily Mail did you at the bottom of the news story that it stated that now Vic Huxley is definity World Champion the question of the next challenger becomes important. With it mentioning Eric Langton and Haig as outstanding northern riders , and Burton, Jack Parker and Dicky Case having a strong for the south. And as Tom Stenner writes the committee should start arranging eliminating races between these riders.

I wonder of they considered the Star Riders Champion as World champion afterall Vic Huxley did win the 1930 event as would have been the reigning champion at the time of this news story.

iris123 you might stumble across something interesting here and extremely debatable were Star Riders considered World Champions? may be a topic for a separate page.  

I don't think the Star Riders Championship was ever thought of as the World Championship, but, in 1931, the Golden Helmet Match Race Championship was promoted as the World Championship. Vic Huxley was match race champion in 1931 and that's what the article is about, i.e. finding challengers for the Golden Helmet.

5 minutes ago, iris123 said:

According to International Speedway, Vic Huxley failed to appear for Australia v England in their 1932-33 series in his homeland because the promoters' failed to meet his demanded appearance fee'

In 1946 I notice that due the unpopular grading system and low riders were going strike in England unless their demands were met as they wanted £2 a start and point. Daily Mail 25 May 1946 page 4 titled 'speedway facing a strike'

On the 28 May 1946 the Daily Mail starts that rider had agreed terms with the grading system being scraped with riders in the National League being paid 35 shilling a start and point and in the Northern League £1 a start and point.

Edited by Robbie B

5 minutes ago, norbold said:

I don't think the Star Riders Championship was ever thought of as the World Championship, but, in 1931, the Golden Helmet Match Race Championship was promoted as the World Championship. Vic Huxley was match race champion in 1931 and that's what the article is about, i.e. finding challengers for the Golden Helmet.

I bow to your knowledge Norbold, ut  Im only reporting what is in the daily mail and no-more than this.

Edited by Robbie B

2 minutes ago, Robbie B said:

Norbold Im only reporting what the papers no-more than this.

Yes, I know, but you were speculating on what the World Championship was they were referring to. I was just trying to explain what it was.

4 minutes ago, norbold said:

Yes, I know, but you were speculating on what the World Championship was they were referring to. I was just trying to explain what it was.

I was not speculating but asking whether Star Riders Champions were considered to be World Champions not, as I do not the answer to this. You mentioning the Golden Helmet match Race championship is the most likely event the article was talking, but it not state the Golden Helmet Match Race Championship only that Vic Huxley is now World Champion. And as my post stated this is something for discussion. Afterall the text was written by Tom Stenner a well respected speedway writer of the time.

Edited by Robbie B

Something a bit different to end the day (for me anyway) from 1929

Fines of 2 pounds for assault and 15 pounds for dangerous driving, with costs and his license forfeited, and disqualification from driving for 2 years, were imposed on Ronald Johnson. Evidence was given that Johnson in a sports car, drove at a terrific speed over Serpentine bridge, cutting between two cars which had to apply their brakes violently. In taking a sharp turn Johnson's passenger was thrown out and injured. The evidence stated Johnson became very excited when arrested and kicked the constable !!! 

On my, he was a colourful character :o