British Speedway Forum

Canada Championship

According to this career article on Eric Chitty there were Canadian Championships prior to those previously detailed.Chitty is credited as winning the championship as far back as 1934.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Chitty

Edited by Guest

Yes he won the Canadian Championship at the long gone Ulster Stadium in Toronto in 1934.

He was unbeaten even with a bad hand!!

It's intriguing to see that Amerrican rider Timmy Joe Sheppard won the title in 1979. Intriguing that is for those who recall his extremely brief stay at Hackney early in the 1970s,

Edited by Guest

22 minutes ago, gustix said:

It's intriguing to see that Amerrican rider Timmy Joe Sheppard won the title in 1979. Intriguing that is for those who recall his extremely brief stay at Hackney early in the 1970s,

He is not the only American to win....Lenny McBride and George Kalamaroff are also American

I live in Toronto and to the best of my knowledge there is no speedway racing in Ontario anymore. There was racing in Welland down in the Niagara peninsula until recently. I am not sure about the rest of Canada.

56 minutes ago, Celticman said:

I live in Toronto and to the best of my knowledge there is no speedway racing in Ontario anymore. There was racing in Welland down in the Niagara peninsula until recently. I am not sure about the rest of Canada.

You are correct, there is no more Speedway in Canada.......however there are tracks in New York State.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, andout said:

You are correct, there is no more Speedway in Canada.......however there are tracks in New York State.

I am sorry to see the demise of speedway in Canada. I always had an interest in the Canadian riders who rode in the UK - my favourites were Jimmy Gibb, Eric Chitty, Bill Matthews and Mike Tams. 

9 minutes ago, andout said:

Welland continues to have Motorcycle Racing......Paris now gone!

Would the present motorcycle racing at Welland be Flat Track? I understand that's popular in the USA and is slowly increasing its place in Britain and Europe, possibly also in Australia?

Edited by Guest

19 minutes ago, gustix said:

Would the present motorcycle racing at Welland be Flat Track? I understand that's popular in the USA and is slowly increasing its place in Britain and Europe, possibly also in Australia?

Yes....but Flat Track is also waning in Canada and the US......

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gustix said:

9 hours ago, andout said:

Yes....but Flat Track is also waning in Canada and the US......

An interesting comment andout. Could it possibly be that car orientated racing is now the alternative to watching motorcycles on small tracks? I follow with some interest the Facebook pages dedicated to midget car racing. It offers some exciting racing.

Midget car racing appears to have a strong following in Argentina, USA, Australia and New Zealand. Certainly AS I SEE IT ahead of speedway and Flat Track in these four countries.

Edited by Guest

Best Canadian Championship meeting I saw was in , I think, 2006 -it was scheduled for a Saturday in Paris, Ont, but was rained off and rescheduled for the next day -a Sunday. Kyle Legault was in from England as defending Champion and heavily favoured to retain his title. I drove down on the Saturday and chatted to Aaron Hesmer's brother-who said he thought his bro was at the certainly competitive. The meeting had some great racing Legault won every race he was in and broke the track record twice, but indeed Hesmer was competitive and gave Kyle a run for his money when they met.

Think some forumlanders were there-Andout maybe?? Think it was 2006 but could be wrong-anyway sorry that Paris speedway is no more.

• Thanks 1