British Speedway Forum

So it's at Leicester the day after Cardiff. Three big meetings in three days for a lot of folk with Somerset for the pairs, Cardiff GP and then Leicester.

Personaly I'd rather see the bigger meetings spaced out through the season but will have to start saving and find appropriate accomodation . Any suggestions where to park ? as had issues in the past at Leicester.

• Like 1

Always thought Leicester had decent parking with the stadium car park and the shopping parking?

There is a 4 hour time limit with the shopping centre car park, so depending on the format and any possible delays, it could get very tight time wise. Also the shopping centre will be open on a Sunday afternoon, so there will be fewer spaces than normal for a Saturday night meeting.

An alternative would be to use the Boston Road industrial estate on the opposite side of the road to the shopping centre.

• Like 1

Whoever thought this up needs sacking!

I'm a speedway fan, reasonably well off and Somerset / Cardiff was OK for me as I'd do both meetings from Midlands as 2 separate trips to avoid stupid Hotel Rates in Cardiff.

Lots of fans do Somerset and Cardiff as a round trip, stay over and its the annual pilgrimage to the mecca of the sport at Cardiff. This adds on for many an extra night and extra meeting and for those up North/Scotland and down South a very late return home Sunday night / Monday early hours.

I won't do all 3 in 3 days. I'll go to Cardiff, go home and then a short trek over to Leicester.

Why not 4's at Peterborough where set up and racing last season was "off the scale" superb meeting, not that Pairs wasn't too but that place is not capable of handling big crowds (Somerset).

Leicester is a lovely set up but naff track, limited parking and from what I have heard Pits are very small and not a lot of space.

Why couldn't we have 4's at Peterborough in May, 4's at Somerset in July, and CLRC at Sheffield in September??

• Like 4

Disappointed with this. The Fours at Peterborough racing wise is usually one of the highlight's of the season for me. The venue is also great in terms of seating capacity . Nothing against Leicester but it just doesn't have the same appeal for such a meeting.

• Like 1

That's twenty of us not going to the fours then as we booked our flights for Cardiff GP months ago together with accomodation and mini bus hire.

Thanks BSPA.

• Like 1

Been to leicester twice and have yet to see a pass on track think again mr godfrey send it back to peterboro!

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, False dawn said:

I am going to Cardiff. I love the fours. I'm fairly local to Leicester.

But this decision seems to make very little sense to me. 

Running the fours anywhere on the Cardiff Sunday, with the possible exception of Somerset, seems slightly odd to me. Logistically, for the fans, how does this make sense.? Is the supporters coach from say Eastbourne, going to return home a day late, via Leicester?

Why destroy the concept of the "fours weekend" by combining it with the GP weekend. :blink:

And the hosting track. So Peterborough is not available (?). But even though it's convenient for me, Leicester would seem to have some severe limitations. Car parking for the fans is an issue. I got caught out at the Ben meeting last year. The supermarket parking we use every week has a strict 4 hour limit. And let''s not have any more discussion about the legality of the imposition of fines. If you get a parking fine, do you really want to challenge it or risk ignoring it? The car park is "policed" by comparing video images of you entering and leaving. If you can't leave because everyone else is at the same time, that's cuts no ice. I know. So you can't park there for the fours. You will not get out of the car park within the four hour limit unless you leave the meeting early.
I don't know much about the accommodation of riders vans and pit space but I suspect that they will both be tight.
And despite my misgivings, should this meeting be heavily supported, will the stadium house that many supporters comfortably?

Sorry to quote my own post, but there are two threads discussing this. :oops:

• Like 2

Stupid idea to hold it at Leicester due to all the reasons False dawn has said above.  Hopefully common sense will prevail before July and it will be held sometime at Peterborough, or anywhere else more suitable because Beaumont Park certainly isn't. 

• Like 1

I certainly agree with a lot of comments already posted.

I have nothing against Leicester at all, in fact I quite like the stadium itself, however, IMO, it's the completely wrong venue to hold the Fours.

Car Parking is not even close to being good enough for an event such as this, and Tesco doesn't afford long enough, and even if it did, that wouldn't be fair on the shoppers..
There will have to be temporary seating installed like King's Lynn do for the Stock Car World Final, as there's not enough for this type of event, that takes hours to complete.  

It also means that after a rip-off weekend (hotel wise) in Wales, punters have got to try and dip deep to find yet more accommodation money, if hotels/motels have still got availability.

Total madness I'm afraid, so I will not be going.........sadly.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Been to leicester twice and have yet to see a pass on track think again mr godfrey send it back to peterboro!

Then you did not go to Leicester last year  or if you did you went when the track was closed. The alterations to both sets of bends resulted in plenty of passing comparable to most other tracks. The issue there is now one of over use (training) which caused the surface to rut and needs sorting properly for 2020 rather than the crude (cheap?) attempts made during the season which did not work. 

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

"National speedway stadium" so why not use it!

By name only.  Not owned by the sporting body and title is quite miss leading.  But a great race track none the less. 

4 hours ago, 1 valve said:

Then you did not go to Leicester last year  or if you did you went when the track was closed. The alterations to both sets of bends resulted in plenty of passing comparable to most other tracks. The issue there is now one of over use (training) which caused the surface to rut and needs sorting properly for 2020 rather than the crude (cheap?) attempts made during the season which did not work. 

I agree with you, Leicester did provide some good racing last year, and certainly provided as much passing as we get at King's Lynn.  It used to be poor, but as you say, the alterations to both sets of bends changed that.

I still don't think it's the right venue to hold the Fours at though, due purely to the lack of Official Car Park space, and lack of seating that will be required for crowds that the meeting normally generates.   Us old folk can't stand for between 4 and 6 hours!!LOL.

5 hours ago, 1 valve said:

All generally by 1 rider though... Scott Nicholls