British Speedway Forum

Shared events are not voted on. They are discussed, usually by the 3 on the top table as there's only 3 in attendance at 90% of management meetings , and then offered to whichever track they think can host it when the committee want it hosting, that's how it's always worked. 

You may have noticed the big meetings this coming season are being hosted by management members clubs.

14 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Shared events are not voted on. They are discussed, usually by the 3 on the top table as there's only 3 in attendance at 90% of management meetings , and then offered to whichever track they think can host it when the committee want it hosting, that's how it's always worked. 

You may have noticed the big meetings this coming season are being hosted by management members clubs.

Well if they haven’t they are not paying attention 

15 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

That is a few times that you have mentioned "Rob" as if it is his decision & his alone. How do you know that Rob agreed to it? Could Rob have been against the proposal but out voted as this is how decisions are made, by votes. The BSPA has a committee of 5 members but almost all the promoters would have had a vote.

By the way, I do not agree that all 3 meetings should be on the same weekend, as it could be a financial burden to some families with it being just before the summer holidays.

There is also the issue that Peterborough could not fit it in at the Showground.

A date was offered but not accepted by the MC was what I was told

Anybody got a start time for this meeting as we will be travelling up from Bristol on the sunday morning and because of the parking I dont wanna be setting off at 7 in the morning after a few drinks the night before

If Peterborough could not stage it, should have given Redcar the meeting. 

• Like 4

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 12:36 PM, False dawn said:

As Tai (and many others) have a habit of saying these days, "It is what it is". That is, the meeting is going to be there, on that date. We have a choice to go or not.

P.S. it's dawn, the time of day, not Dawn. I'm a bloke! :drink:

Apologies for that 'the devils is in the detail as they say'

• Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 5:53 PM, IronScorpion said:

That is a few times that you have mentioned "Rob" as if it is his decision & his alone. How do you know that Rob agreed to it? Could Rob have been against the proposal but out voted as this is how decisions are made, by votes. The BSPA has a committee of 5 members but almost all the promoters would have had a vote.

By the way, I do not agree that all 3 meetings should be on the same weekend, as it could be a financial burden to some families with it being just before the summer holidays.

There is also the issue that Peterborough could not fit it in at the Showground.

Quite simply taken from his quoted words in the article on the British Speedway Official Forum.  Describes the weekend following the switch to Leicester as 'a fantastic all round package for fans' . Well that's his opinion and he is fully entitled to it, it just happens to be different to mine.

Mentioned Rob a few times ?  don't think so but please feel free to prove me wrong. Just because I'm from Worky doesn't automatically mean I've got it in for him. :neutral:

Are they his quoted words? The article could have been scripted by the press office & Rob was the spokesperson to the BSPA site.

Also, I am agreement with you in that the 3 meetings should not be on a weekend, too much of a burden to fans. Also, if the weather forecast was a bit iffy, how would that affect the attendance. It is ok for Cardiff having a retractable roof but not so Somerset & Leicester. Plus those that have pre booked hotels/inns etc could lose out even more.

We have at Scunthorpe, benefitted by having the Glasgow League meeting on the Sunday after Cardiff(bar last years late running) so that is an opportunity lost to us. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 12:47 PM, IronScorpion said:

Are they his quoted words? The article could have been scripted by the press office & Rob was the spokesperson to the BSPA site.

Also, I am agreement with you in that the 3 meetings should not be on a weekend, too much of a burden to fans. Also, if the weather forecast was a bit iffy, how would that affect the attendance. It is ok for Cardiff having a retractable roof but not so Somerset & Leicester. Plus those that have pre booked hotels/inns etc could lose out even more.

We have at Scunthorpe, benefitted by having the Glasgow League meeting on the Sunday after Cardiff(bar last years late running) so that is an opportunity lost to us. 

We Glasgow fans were hoping that we could have a meeting at Scunthorpe follwing Cardiff,  would rather that than the 4's at Leicester, means we wont get home until Monday, that is if the supporters bus to Cardiff will even do the 4's

That is another issue with an organised bus trip as all will need to be in agreement to do Cardiff & Leicester.

1 hour ago, Cookiefan said:

We Glasgow fans were hoping that we could have a meeting at Scunthorpe follwing Cardiff,  would rather that than the 4's at Leicester, means we wont get home until Monday, that is if the supporters bus to Cardiff will even do the 4's

Same with Berwick bus we normally do Swindon, Somerset, Cardiff, and home on Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1

It seems Rob Godfrey's idea is to focus on the returning northern bound coaches heading out of Cardiff and ignore any southern fans who would be unlikely to travel after 2 meetings in the south the previous 2 days.  Risky, if those coach loads decide to skip it then they could be stuffed although with Leicester being one of the best supported clubs in Britain they have the insurance that the locals will attend in numbers

There are numerous posts on this forum to the effects of “Speedway is dying on its ar*e, something needs to be done”, “this time next year there will be no speedway, something needs to be done”. So this year they try something different, and it’s “ We don’t want change, we like it as it is”. Ok, it may/ may not be a good idea, but at least they are trying something different.

Like 99.99999% of posters on here, I was not at the Committee meeting but if anyone was, and I don’t mean “I was told” or “ my mates great aunts sisters brother has heard”, please tell us all exactly who agreed to what.

• Like 3

IMO one of the meetings between Somerset and Leicester will suffer a poorer crowd than what would normally be there as going from Somerset to Cardiff to Leicester is going to be expensive for many.

2 hours ago, screm said:

IMO one of the meetings between Somerset and Leicester will suffer a poorer crowd than what would normally be there as going from Somerset to Cardiff to Leicester is going to be expensive for many.

You can go to Somerset and suffer the M5 holiday traffic. 

Stand on a grassy bank drinking Cider and watch what is generally good racing.

Or 

Go to Leicester

Still a crap journey even if you are heading northwardsish from Cardiff.

Unless you're one of the 1st thousand in you'll mostly be looking at the back of someone's head. Which TBH from admittedly my only 2 trips there would be better than the racing.

Somerset for me.

Edited by Triple.H.
Forgot to write last 3 words
  • Like 1