British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sings4Speedway

Reading blocked from Entering NDL

I was saddened and heartbroken to read that an attempt from Reading to run at NDL level from the Swindon stadium was shot down by the bspa before it got off the ground due to something as stupid as the team name. 
If the side was to be entered it had to be under the Swindon banner and not Reading which would defeat the object for this bunch of supporters whos continued aim is to see a Reading team on track. Surely if the funding was there and the agreement of the Swindon promotion in place what is the issue? 
With the NDL enjoying far from prosperous times at present the blocking of this side and effectively any attempts from Exeter in future seasons surely the bspa is poisoning the sport from within? Would certainly be interesting to know who decided against this and why they think it is a positive move for Speedway? 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

39 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I was saddened and heartbroken to read that an attempt from Reading to run at NDL level from the Swindon stadium was shot down by the bspa before it got off the ground due to something as stupid as the team name. 
If the side was to be entered it had to be under the Swindon banner and not Reading which would defeat the object for this bunch of supporters whos continued aim is to see a Reading team on track. Surely if the funding was there and the agreement of the Swindon promotion in place what is the issue? 
With the NDL enjoying far from prosperous times at present the blocking of this side and effectively any attempts from Exeter in future seasons surely the bspa is poisoning the sport from within? Would certainly be interesting to know who decided against this and why they think it is a positive move for Speedway? 

Would it have been any different to Cradley over the last 10 years? Stupid decision. 

• Like 3

A shame that Reading aren't able to compete if they are willing and able to do so.  I remember something about the Cradley situation whereby we were allowed to use Monmore for as long as the club were actively seeking a new stadium of their own (this may be something I've made up or confused admittedly) - would this be a sticking point?  It may be that Cradley were already in place by the time the powers that be made any change to the rules, or they are looking to increase the link between the Top leagues and the NDL by trying to get as many second teams involved as possible rather than stand alone clubs?

Rules state that a nomadic team can only use a name when they are actively trying to find a location to run from in the near future. I assume Reading are not looking to find their own piece of land?

A lot of nomadic junior teams have disappeared for the same reason recently.

2 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

eRules state that a nomadic team can only use a name when they are actively trying to find a location to run from in the near future. I assume Reading are not looking to find their own piece of land?

The rule should be reconsidered then. 

Edited by Barrow Boy 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Rules state that a nomadic team can only use a name when they are actively trying to find a location to run from in the near future. I assume Reading are not looking to find their own piece of land?

They are actively looking. There have been a few positive noises, but of course that is a long way from actually opening a new track.

• Like 2

The definition of 'actively looking' would need to be very heavily clarified here. Searches are one thing, having the finances to build it are quite another. There is also a very strong argument that running a nomadic team at another venue is part of the track search process by verifying & justifying the levels of support in existence for a particular side.  

I would have thought that a league with the word development in it's title, would welcome any opportunity for more youngsters to enter the sport.
And retaining a homeless fan base, albeit a small one, is surely desirable.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Would it have been any different to Cradley over the last 10 years? Stupid decision. 

Or Weymouth, Exeter or Long Eaton?

24 minutes ago, False dawn said:

I would have thought that a league with the word development in it's title, would welcome any opportunity for more youngsters to enter the sport.
And retaining a homeless fan base, albeit a small one, is surely desirable.

Exactly

• Like 1

All teams using a historic name have to prove each season that they are actively trying to resurrect the team with their own track. We at Reading are indeed trying. We have recently stated that we are in talks with a land owner about whether a track is feasible on their land. This is obviously the first step on a very long road.

The ruling that prevents us from racing in the NDL is that nobody can promote in the top 3 leagues unless they have their own track. Reference Cradley, I think when they first started using Monmore, the fact that CVS was a promoter of both was seen as acceptable.  It seems that now Cradley have ceased to operate the BSPA have decided they dont want the same situation again. That's fine, they're in charge, they make the rules and we accept that. We just thought we may be able to help when it looked like the NDL may collapse through lack of numbers. Thankfully the league has survived anyway.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, skydog said:

All teams using a historic name have to prove each season that they are actively trying to resurrect the team with their own track. We at Reading are indeed trying. We have recently stated that we are in talks with a land owner about whether a track is feasible on their land. This is obviously the first step on a very long road.

The ruling that prevents us from racing in the NDL is that nobody can promote in the top 3 leagues unless they have their own track. Reference Cradley, I think when they first started using Monmore, the fact that CVS was a promoter of both was seen as acceptable.  It seems that now Cradley have ceased to operate the BSPA have decided they dont want the same situation again. That's fine, they're in charge, they make the rules and we accept that. We just thought we may be able to help when it looked like the NDL may collapse through lack of numbers. Thankfully the league has survived anyway.

Reading your post makes me feel very sad indeed.
The loss of iconic names like The Reading Racers, The Cradley Heathens and many others from our sport along with their loyal supporters is be regretted in the extreme.
Shame on you BSPA.

• Like 1

Yet again its just short sighted from the BSPA. The NL is dangling by a thread and with Plymouth likely to attempt a step up again next season, Kent to discover how viable two side are and standalone teams like IOW & Mildenhall to find out how workable a reduced fixture list is things are far from certain. To then prevent the possibility of Reading, Exeter or any other nomad team that has the funding from joining the league when clubs are folding far faster than they are opening is yet another showing of ineptitude by the powers that be.

• Like 8

I like to say I am surprised with this but with the BSPA nothing surprises me. Just echo comments above really, crazy a league that is struggling for numbers and should be welcoming clubs have blocked this. If anything having sides like Reading in the league can only be positive for the club as they have the name out there and also if they get good crowds it gives the team weight about trying to find their own track nearer home.

• Like 3

Doesn't seem to be anyone on here who thinks it a good call, makes you wonder how the decision could have been made in the first place by people who should be able to see this can only harm speedway in the 3rd tier.

• Like 2