British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sings4Speedway

Reading blocked from Entering NDL

3 hours ago, skydog said:

Hi Rob, it's nice to hear a little reminder of how a nomadic team turned out to be such a success for Rye House, I'd actually forgotten that.

I would like to assure you that at Reading we are certainly not in this to make money, none of us have ever taken a penny, not in "wages", expenses or anything else. It's more a case of spending our own (we are not wealthy people), as an example last years pit board and website included 3 "sponsor's names" that were paid for by 2 of us out of our pockets. We take no gate receipts, and as you said, money comes in from sponsorship, fundraising and club members who donate a small amount each month.

Also we have a land and property professional who is a Speedway enthusiast and is every bit as keen as we are, constantly looking for what he considers to be suitable land (he is obviously far more knowledgeable than we are) and speaking to land owners and planning departments. We all know this has all been done by various people in various locations across the country with varying results but our attitude is that nobody else is gonna do this in Reading so we'll keep trying for the foreseeable.

I get what you mean when you say you can't be sure what peoples motives are or how serious they are, but I hope this reasures you that our intentions are honourable! I hope one day I can say our venture was as successful as yours...

Was always pleased to see the Racers at Eastbourne in your SDL guise. Would welcome Reading having their own track...be good for southern/SE clubs if we could have another 'southerner' in the CL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

It's interesting how few people remember our efforts of 1999. You do get the feeling it's been rather airbrushed out of speedway history. We put a few noses out of joint but we started another two decades of racing at Rye House. 

Dont be offended by people forgetting it... I think it's purely been overshadowed by the success that Rye House enjoyed since then, which can only be a good thing... kind of!

Would be good to see Reading back . Whatever happened to Nick Dyer? Is he still involved in the sport or just completely vanished since Reading closed?

5 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Would be good to see Reading back . Whatever happened to Nick Dyer? Is he still involved in the sport or just completely vanished since Reading closed?

I heard they'd signed Anders Michanek, Dag Lövaas and Bernie Leigh as their heat leaders before the BSPA refused them entry into the league. :rolleyes:

He was at one of the 2018 SDL matches at Eastbourne and admitted it was his first speedway meeting since 2008. He goes to a lot of indy rock concerts these days.

17 minutes ago, arnieg said:

He was at one of the 2018 SDL matches at Eastbourne and admitted it was his first speedway meeting since 2008. He goes to a lot of indy rock concerts these days.

So he is still about then?

Was a classic forum member back in the day, had many debates with him as a youngster but definitely a good guy. 

47 minutes ago, False dawn said:

I heard they'd signed Anders Michanek, Dag Lövaas and Bernie Leigh as their heat leaders before the BSPA refused them entry into the league. :rolleyes:

Per Jonsson as TM

24 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Racer X?

Aye

48 minutes ago, Pinny said:

So he is still about then?

Was a classic forum member back in the day, had many debates with him as a youngster but definitely a good guy. 

Me too! I soon learned that if Nick said something it was almost certainly right, or at least based on fact!

Good luck with finding a new home, be great to see Reading, Oxford and Swindon doing battle again :)

• Like 4

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 1:23 PM, Richspeedway said:

I like to say I am surprised with this but with the BSPA nothing surprises me. Just echo comments above really, crazy a league that is struggling for numbers and should be welcoming clubs have blocked this. If anything having sides like Reading in the league can only be positive for the club as they have the name out there and also if they get good crowds it gives the team weight about trying to find their own track nearer home.

100% and add in the factor of another team in the 3rd tier in an area without a 3rd tier team presence would present more opportunities for up and coming British youngsters.

BSPA = British speedway prevention association!

Complete madness!

17 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

No problem, like you I'm just a supporter who loves the sport. Thankfully I got the chance to do more. I look forward to seeing Brandon restored to its proper purpose. My contribution to the sport is tiny compared to most but unlike most I'm prepared to talk about it openly here in the hope it may help people to understand what goes on, or like me learn from my experiences. Every closed track is the death of a friend. Yes, even Crayford......

Rob, we've lost so many 'friends' in the south east since i started going. Last time i looked it was pushing the 20 mark.

I cant for the life of me understand the logic of this refusal by the speedway hierarchy, what harm does a Team racing out of a near neighbours track do to the Sport ?. Is it because the management of the proposed Team are not part of the establishment ?, I ask this because i can honestly see no other reason for the refusal given that the people behind the application are/have been actively looking for there own Track. Indeed where is there a problem with Teams track sharing if thats what they want to do ?, Jeez Coventry FC are playing at Birminghams FC,s ground this season nowt wrong with that if it allows a Club to remain in existance. If a Team can be viable running from another Track why shouldnt it be allowed, in fact it has many advantages by allowing Teams to gauge if there is enough support for a club to return, it allows young riders to get experience, it allows promotions to learn the ropes,  but NO the hierarchy and i use that word because i refuse to recognise the BSPA represents the name it has given itself, because the most important word in bsPa is the P and most of them wouldnt know what Promote meant if it looked them in the face.

To summarise, we can have a Team named Swindon Sprockets with 1 man and his dog watching, but we cant have a Team named Reading Racers racing out of Swindon with a 100+ watching because the BSPA dont like the name despite actively looking/searching for there own Track. I think there is more to this than meets the eye, but we will never get to know the real reasons behind the hierarchys refusal.. In the interests of the sport could/should have been used to allow Reading to race, but NO not according to the little people at the bspa..

Good luck with your efforts to everyone down at Reading, hopefully something may come up soon, Im sure you have contacted every Rugby, Football, Sports Team in the area to see if they would consider hosting Speedway, just another way of meeting the little peoples rule apertaining to actively searching for a new Track.. 

• Like 1